Nightforce scopes

John Gryphon

Do many SD members use Nightforce scopes at all.
I have a couple of them myself.

Last edited:

243lee

Used to use one almost daily, not the best at low light if im honest but 100% reliable for dialling, also never lost zero in the 3 years it was sat on my rifle, this was an older nxs model so last light performance may have improved since.
Bonus is if its on QR mounts and forget your hammer you could use it for that too before it probabaly needed rezeroing!

Scandially

The illumination adjustment on my NXS was a tiny screwdriver under the windage cap.... handy at night and if it failed it was a 6 month trip to the States.

sir-lamp-alot

Ive got one, its not my 1st choice in a scope for hunting with if Im honest but I wanted somthing with decent glass that would work with add on night vision, which in fairness to it it has done well

Malxwal

Have used NXS & ATACR previously, great for their intended purpose/what I wanted.
Have just gotten hold of an NX8 as a hybrid for stalking primarily but LR playtime stuff too.

John Gryphon

Mine are big 8-32x56 and of course certainly not deer stalking scopes.

I was looking around and read this below. it backs 243lee`s hammer idea.

In 2011, it was reported that a Nightforce NXS scope received a direct hit from a 7.62×39mm-caliber bullet to the main tube which permanently disabled the magnification ring, but was still holding zero afterwards.[3][4]

Drum123

Use an nxs , big and heavy , tracks well , i did send it back to the usa when it went faulty , it was sorted without fuss.Theyre time tested optics so that gives a little piece of mind.

243lee

Remember watching a youtube video a few years back, bloke shot a group with it, box tested the tracking, then took it off threw it down range, walked down then threw it back up towards his bench, mildly hammered it on the bench before bolting back to his rifle and put bullets into the same group as before, if its wasnt lacking in poor light id happily have it sat on my rifle now

404Shooter

I have an older NXS (with the fiddly illumination) which I have used for vermin and target shooting. I really like it and it feels like it will out live a clumsy oaf like me!

I also have a newer NX8 1-8x24 which I purchased and imported through NF’s military and law enforcement. It is similarly robust but half the weight and while it’s designed for the AR platform it sits naturally on a bolt action and lends itself to woodland stalking. The reticle is also quite ‘robust’ but I like it.

The glass may not be Swaro bright at last light but I don’t hold my breath every time I lay the rifle down or I end up covered in sh!te. I think the brand suits me and when I’ve saved my pocket money I’ll buy a 5-25 ATACR (and because Mrs O says I can).

Friendly Boar

I only have a SHV 5-20x56IR ...... clear accurate and reliable. was all I could afford at the time (6 years ago).... love using it. I may upgrade in a few years time.

caberslash

@John Gryphon from what I understand, Nightforce is owned by the same family who started with Lightforce (Ozzie).

The USA branding is there to get around US govt contracts (Berry Amendment) and appeal more to US shooters.

Supposedly there are all made in Japan but QC is done in the USA?

Would like to try the 2.5-10 NXS compact but can't see myself buying one as their reticles look too thin for me.

Drum123

@John Gryphon from what I understand, Nightforce is owned by the same family who started with Lightforce (Ozzie).

The USA branding is there to get around US govt contracts (Berry Amendment) and appeal more to US shooters.

Supposedly there are all made in Japan but QC is done in the USA?

Would like to try the 2.5-10 NXS compact but can't see myself buying one as their reticles look too thin for me.
There used to be rumours that nightforce at one time were made by hakko buy that could be just bollocks.