Nightforce woes

Reloader708

Just got me a brand new nxs 3.5-15 for my night shooting rig, got it mounted (picatinny rail, warn rings, all straight and flat and tourqued up 2nm) and the zoom is locked up solid!
First thoughts, something isn't square, or over tourqued. So pulled it back off the rifle and all fine again. Next I tried just a ring on the tube and sure enough we're all locked up again. Screws only just beginning to feel tight 1/2 nm roughly 4inch pound before we're locked; tried another set of rings and just the same.
Spoke to the dealer and they said just sit and work the zoom back and forth until it loosens up; dose that sound right? Is it just newness?
Thick end of £1800 I just want it to work!
Anyone had similar?

Jelen

If I'm reading you correctly, it works with no rings fitted, but locks up with a ring fitted?
If it's locked solid with no rings fitted it's not going to loosen up and it's not fit for purpose.
Either way way you can return it and get your money back.

Last edited:

Reloader708

Just to be clear I've no greavance with the supplier, he just came up with a suggestion.
It's on its way back tomorrow now anyhow so we'll see what occurs.
Incidentally I've had a couple of days to compare it with a bushnell 4200 which was half the price and I'll have to say, scopes are most certainly measured on a scale of vastly diminishing returns! Just one for the glass snobs! 😉

sir-lamp-alot

Dont know if your nxs is the same as mine but on mine its not just the ring that turns on the magnification but the whole rear eye bell and i dont know if this was to blame in any way?

Reloader708

Dont know if your nxs is the same as mine but on mine its not just the ring that turns on the magnification but the whole rear eye bell and i dont know if this was to blame in any way?
Yes its the same. I tried slacking the lock ring on the eye focus to see if that might help and decided nightforce has a gorilla nipping those up before they leave the factory...tractor wheel nuts tight! Anyway, didn't make a difference. Its just the slightest and I mean the slightest pressure on the tube from the rings and it must nip the internals.
Suppose I could use it as a spotting scope! 🤔

Andy RV

Seems strange! Can you achieve the same effect by squeezing the tube with your fingers?

Are you sure the zoom ring isn’t catching on the rifle?

Tazz

Just to be clear I've no greavance with the supplier, he just came up with a suggestion.
It's on its way back tomorrow now anyhow so we'll see what occurs.
Incidentally I've had a couple of days to compare it with a bushnell 4200 which was half the price and I'll have to say, scopes are most certainly measured on a scale of vastly diminishing returns! Just one for the glass snobs! 😉
“Glass Snobs” I couldn’t be more offended ( 3 Swaro scopes + RF bins)

Reactions: GWP

bryn

I had the same with a vortex diamondback (I’m on my second replacement). Pressure from the the ring mount or torch mount on the first half of the tube forward of the turret would stiffen up the parallax adjustment considerably.
bryn

caberslash

If you are using two piece rings on a picatinny rail, there is a chance that your rail is out of spec and the scope is not sitting as it should, once tightened it could be causing the lockup.

What make of rail is it?

Personally refuse the no name eBay or cheap UK made picatinny rails, literally the 'base' of your optics mounting system, which needs to be epoxy bedded to the receiver. If it deviates too far from 1913 spec you'll be in trouble.

Sphur's gen II picatinny rail is absolutely exquisite and perfectly profiled from the Remington 700. Having bought one I don't regret the wait and import tax. Paired with a Sphur hunting picatinny one piece mount you have the best possible setup.

Mental that no one is bringing these in!

Reloader708

If you are using two piece rings on a picatinny rail, there is a chance that your rail is out of spec and the scope is not sitting as it should, once tightened it could be causing the lockup.

What make of rail is it?

Personally refuse the no name eBay or cheap UK made picatinny rails, literally the 'base' of your optics mounting system, which needs to be epoxy bedded to the receiver. If it deviates too far from 1913 spec you'll be in trouble.

Sphur's gen II picatinny rail is absolutely exquisite and perfectly profiled from the Remington 700. Having bought one I don't regret the wait and import tax. Paired with a Sphur hunting picatinny one piece mount you have the best possible setup.

Mental that no one is bringing these in!
Rings and rail are top quality, no ebay crap and yes the rail is epoxy bedded.
The scope however locks up with just a ring placed around the tube, ie not even on the rifle so absolutely no chance of torsion.
Just waiting to hear back now.

Reloader708

Well, update on the nightforce. The retailer organised collection and after inspection declared nothing wrong with the scope. But as a gesture of good will would send an identical replacement (different serial no, I did check) to ensure my peace of mind. Which I must say had me doubting myself....until the replacement arrived!
Tried both sets of rings I'd tried previously same tourque settings, everything, and all was fine, no binding or slightest hint of stiffness in operation. So go figure! 🤔

B&W FOX

I'm not sure the importer / retailer of Nightforce would want to admit liability that there is an issue with manufacturing.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

caberslash

Well, update on the nightforce. The retailer organised collection and after inspection declared nothing wrong with the scope. But as a gesture of good will would send an identical replacement (different serial no, I did check) to ensure my peace of mind. Which I must say had me doubting myself....until the replacement arrived!
Tried both sets of rings I'd tried previously same tourque settings, everything, and all was fine, no binding or slightest hint of stiffness in operation. So go figure! 🤔

Feel sorry for the poor bugger who gets sold your old one.

Will avoid buying a new Nightforce here 😅

swagger700

Feel sorry for the poor bugger who gets sold your old one.

Will avoid buying a new Nightforce here 😅
Yes that could happen 😬. I've got 3 various nightforce never had any issues. Glass is as good as the European stuff I've had .atacr and nx8 especially