No Grouse?

tusker

With so many moors closed for Grouse shooting I have a suggestion for early season shooting. What about Shooting Quail over pointers in Bulgaria or Romania. Great sport and a real treat watching the dogs work.
Tusker

User00001

I was talking to a young grouse 'keeper a couple of weeks ago who said that no-one around him has cancelled any days because 'good estates don't have bad seasons'; I was a bit surprised by that statement.

novice

I was talking to a young grouse 'keeper a couple of weeks ago who said that no-one around him has cancelled any days because 'good estates don't have bad seasons'; I was a bit surprised by that statement.

There may be a little truth there. Was he off the durham moors? I get the feeling that some places are so on top of things in terms of grit, vermin, burning etc, and of course are sitting on good grouse producing land, that they either have ordinary seasons or bumper seasons over the past few years. If he's a young keeper and he's in his first job it's probably all he's ever known. He may be in for a shock at some point!

I think they'll ultimately come unstuck though with the likes of bulgy eye and other diseases making their presence felt more and more.

Having a big stock of grouse is one thing, having a strong stock that will go over the guns as sporting birds seems to be another.

Novice

ben0850

Our estate and the neighbouring two have all knocked a lot of days on the head this year. Bad year for ticks, coupled with some moors not being grazed by dipped sheep like they used to be.
Bob, if you’d said I’d have shouted you a pint coming up to the Dales

bobjs

Our estate and the neighbouring two have all knocked a lot of days on the head this year. Bad year for ticks, coupled with some moors not being grazed by dipped sheep like they used to be.
Bob, if you’d said I’d have shouted you a pint coming up to the Dales

Hi Ben

we take a few rooms in the burgoyne hotel Reeth and have a whale of a time.

that would have been nice bud, not sure how bad it is but 2 trips gone, that’s 6 days i have to find something to do so her in doors thinks it’s still on,a day up day shooting n drinking and A day back about 6 days apart, i am sure i can spend the funds on something like a new rifle,

bob

Last edited:

Freeforester

With so many moors closed for Grouse shooting I have a suggestion for early season shooting. What about Shooting Quail over pointers in Bulgaria or Romania. Great sport and a real treat watching the dogs work.
Tusker

Did this in Argentina, very pleasant sport indeed.

TURNBOLT

Very few grouse in east grampian area,one donside estate has cancelled 31 days and they run a hefted flock of sheep as mops for tick.they are not seeing any grouse young or old.the scorched earth policy estates are in a mess they have no other income having shot their deer.

countrryboy

I think the key word there is 'young' some very good well managed estates have cancelled entire seasons, i now 1 moor has went from 60 days last year to 2 this year.

Just thinking that quote sounds very like the sort of thing a well know land/sporting agent would say;)
Never had much sympathy for keepers

There may be a little truth there. Was he off the durham moors? I get the feeling that some places are so on top of things in terms of grit, vermin, burning etc, and of course are sitting on good grouse producing land, that they either have ordinary seasons or bumper seasons over the past few years. If he's a young keeper and he's in his first job it's probably all he's ever known. He may be in for a shock at some point!

I think they'll ultimately come unstuck though with the likes of bulgy eye and other diseases making their presence felt more and more.

Having a big stock of grouse is one thing, having a strong stock that will go over the guns as sporting birds seems to be another.

Novice

Must admit i thought the same as u novce that they had this grouse game down to a fine art on the big moors.
He would get a shock if he ever moves to scotland, everything is easy down there grouse wise.
I'm quite shocked just how many moors have cancelled the entire season, esp as i had planned to take next 6 weeks of work for the grouse (whoops :doh:)
Seen bulgy on a couple of moors 2-3 years ago but not heard much since, wasn't as devasting as i'd thought it would be and good numbers returned the next season.

It might not be a bad thing, giving the hills a chance to breathe and also let keepers have some time off, i know some where almost sick of there own success as they were breaking records every year and boss was now thinking thats the norm and expecting it every year.
Only 15 odd years ago many moors would be lucky to shoot 2/3 years out of 5

Very few grouse in east grampian area,one donside estate has cancelled 31 days and they run a hefted flock of sheep as mops for tick.they are not seeing any grouse young or old.the scorched earth policy estates are in a mess they have no other income having shot their deer.

Thing is do those moors ever actually really make money??
I've done fag packet accounting and really struggle to see how 90% of scottish moors are vaible and even break even most years.
I know 1 moor with 5 FT hill keepers only shot 4 driven days 1 season in the last 10 or 12 years
Think must just be a tax dodge loss making venture or luxuory to ruun a scottish grouse moor

I actually had the chance to fill in for someone up angus next week, turned it down which i'm sort of regretting now, looking like the only day i'd get on the grouse this year.

U could always go Snipe shooting, sure they come in on the 12th too.