Northern Munties??

swampy

Account Suspended
northern munties

They have spread up to the Humber on thier own. Some reorts suggest "dogmen" have live transorted them north for thier coursing value.

steve

llwynog

hi
don't want to hijack this thread but thought it might be interesting to see how far the beloved munters have strayed from their original home!
I have a friend who shoots munters with me, and lives in North Wales. He was working in Dolgellau driving home and swears he saw two munters fly across the road just in front of his Land Rover. So I'm fairly confident in saying they have them down there.
We don't have them along the Bangor - Caernarfon area of the coast yet but I reckon it's only a matter of time.
regards

Willie

I can confirm that munties have indeed travelled as far north as Darlington and have been there for at least 4 years. I regularly see them on the pheasant shoot I beat on.
Willie

The Mole

None of this really surprises me. They don't walk north, mind, Transit van seems to be the preferred method of transport. Blame the dogmen, as Swampy says.

There are definitely munties in two nature reserves in the south of Cumbria (and Mrs Mole swears she saw one near the M6 when we were driving through the lake District a couple of years ago), and rumours persist of them in certain parts of Scotland. No solid proof of that though.

MR FISH

Many sightings of munties around the Beverley area of east Yorkshire, yet to see one myself though but hopefully will do soon.

and preferably through my scope! :lol:

llwynog

Fair play to them I say!
The good thing about Munters is that unless you know what you're looking for the general public would think they'd half seen a fox.
Any sightings down the South Wales area or Notts?

Northern munties

Gents

Can any of you give us any idea how far west these little deer have got.They have been seen in patches through to the irish sea but they jump 30 to 40 miles at a time (could bre care of white van man), mainly interested in route from west midlands through to the group seen in Dolgellau.

Paul k did a good map of Wales on another thread but I am really interested in how munties are marching through the welsh marches into north and mid wales.

Monty

stone

overs two years ago i heard there was a sighting of a 'funny little deer' seen between knighton and prestiegne(mid wales) but never had it comfirmed not sure if they are that far yet .
i have only ever seen fallow and roe in radnor forest
a butcher by mac on the dovey estuary once told me that they don't have any deer by them at all is this true?

poddle

Used to get a load of Northern Munties in Greece when I worked there.
They normally came in on the Friday flight out of Manchester.

Fresh meat for a week, but glad to see em go home, coz a week was long enough.

Did you say Munties ? I thought you said MUNTERS for a mo.

Sorry all :lol:

The Mole

Re: Northern munties

monty the stalker said:
Can any of you give us any idea how far west these little deer have got.
They're spreading fairly quickly west along the line of the Wye Valley. I think the only thing that will hold them up is the Cambrians.

wadashot

Account Suspended
Any sightings in south yorkshire area?. There are some good places for them to go and once heard of them around the Doncaster area, a lot of years ago mind you.

wadashot

stone

The Mole said:
They're spreading fairly quickly west along the line of the Wye Valley. I think the only thing that will hold them up is the Cambrians.
i just thought of another problem the language barrier ' nag oes , does dim, dyddu thim un sharad cymraeg ' :lol: :lol: :lol:

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I know Munties where in Wiltshire near Bradford Apon Avon, as I used to stalk for Roe on a place nearby. There were no Munties on the ground itself as the river Avon acted for the time being as a barrier, but this was easily 10 years ago. At the time they were jsut showing up on the other side of the river.

Despite what people have said I have still to see them in or around this area of Kent. Rumours abound, but no hard evidence has been produced that I have seen or others that stalk with me.

paul k

stone said:
overs two years ago i heard there was a sighting of a 'funny little deer' seen between knighton and prestiegne(mid wales) but never had it comfirmed not sure if they are that far yet .
i have only ever seen fallow and roe in radnor forest
a butcher by mac on the dovey estuary once told me that they don't have any deer by them at all is this true?
There are very few if any deer in the immediate vicinity of the Dyfi estuary. There were a few enclosed just outside Aberdyfi but i think that they were cleared out a few years ago. Here's a picture of two of the bucks there in 1991.

There are plenty of fallow and a few roe a little further north in the Coed y Brenin which run from Dollegau up towards Trawsfynydd. As far as I know the FC still operate a shoot on sight policy with roe in Wales. The roe have definitely reached Bangor in the NW and St. Asaph in the NE but in very small numbers.

There have been reports of muntjac in the Conwy valley and also over on the Caernarfon side of Snowdonia but I would have thought the deer seen near Dolgellau were more likely to be fallow or roe but who knows.

There are reports of muntjac in the Rossett area near Wrexham but as far as I know none yet in the rest of NE Wales. They are in South and Mid Wales in reasonable numbers and may have spread pretty far along the M4 corridor.

I have not personally seen them but a friend described deer that he had seen in the Carlisle area near the Eden estuary to me and they sounded to me like they might have been munties but could just as easily been roe.

We are currently waiting for the results of the 2005 Deer Survey and this should give a lot more insight as to how far all the deer species have spread. Just remember that although they might be recorded as present in a 10 km square, they may be in very small numbers.

I spoke to the BDS last week after the result had not appeared in the latest edition of Deer and they told me that they are waiting for one branch to send in data and this is holding up the publication of the whole thing. So if you know anyone in the East Mercia Branch tell them to get their fingers out.

paul k

The Mole said:
monty the stalker said:
Can any of you give us any idea how far west these little deer have got.
You might find these enlightening:

This is a copy of the muntjac distribution map issued by the Wales Deer Initiative in 2000.

This is the muntjac distribution map published on the BDS website until quite recently.

There are discrepancies which are interesting but given that the WDI only have an interest in Wales I'd take these as more likely to be accurate but I don't quite believe the map as published despite the WDI stressing that they may be very thin on the ground in places and verification of species was also an issue as much of the data was from a survey of landowners who may not have been spot on with species identification.

Both show likely muntjac penetration as far as the Irish Sea in both the North and South. There are also a few records well north of the Scottish border.

stone

Paul K
i hav just got of the phone to a friend in mac and he tells me that the fallow you show(i think they would of been the same herd) were poached to such an extent , the estate they were owned by, never replaced them , people walking in the local park regulary saw them grazing,
as for the FC shooting roe on site, i cannot comment on, as the ranger i knew encouraged the growth of roe in the areas he managed as far back as 1988 when i first met him and i know the mortimer forest has a good head of roe and is not to far from the radnor forest, who knows what surprises this 2005 report will show, i shall await with eagerness
stone