Northumberland Roe

Following on from my Thirlmere hinds post, I have just rounded off my northern trip with a couple of days chasing Northumberland Roe does with David who I have mentioned in previous posts.
My first outing was on Sunday afternoon and David collected me from the pub in Lowick were my wife and I were staying: the White Swan which was a little basic but was reasonably priced and did very good food.
We drove to 'the farm', a venue that David had lead me on several times before and we began to work our way through woods and round fields until we approached the location of a high seat placed against a mature sycamore on a hedge-line joining two woods. There had been little sign up until then, the fields devoid of significant feed, and then within 100 yds of the high seat I spied a white rear end bouncing into the woodland edge. We made ground swiftly but quietly and as we made our final approach David spotted a feeding animal in the same vicinity. Climbing silently into the high seat the sighting proved to be a pair of yearling does, feeding along the woodland edge at about 140 yds. We waited for them to present and/or come closer but they chose to move out into the field which would put them in line with habitation quite quickly so the shot needed to be taken now or not at all. Fortunately the lead doe paused on the drilled stubble and she collapsed where she stood to a H&L shot. Her companion started to run back to the wood but dithered, clearly unwilling to leave her companion and when she presented a nice broadside, David stopped her with a low whistle and I took a H&L shot. The shot felt good and after a classic bunny-hop she ran back to the edge of the wood, disappearing into the vegetation. After a few minutes we headed over to check on the first and find the second which had made it no further than the woodland edge. A quick gralloch followed under Davids supervision (I love learning different peoples' methods) and hung them up to cool before moving off to wait by a hedge with great views over several 100's yards of woodland edge and hedge. Nothing showed and as the light dropped we set off back to collect the carcasses. As we approached, three more roe passed under the high seat we had vacated an hour before and although we tried to get up to them, they spotted us and headed for cover.
David then had the dubious pleasure of carrying the two yearlings out to our car, probably the best part of a mile distant! I did offer to help but he obviously thought I looked too old and decrepit!
Having arranged a 6.15 start in the morning, a delicious pint, a good dinner and an early night beckoned.
The morning dawned cold and wet but the forecast indicated it should dry up around dawn so David took me to the large area of woodland he manages and we spent a few hours checking out the beautiful glades covered by his high seats and stalking the thickly wooded areas in between. Sadly I was not to get lucky this morning, very briefly seeing only two roe of unknown sex. However it turned into a lovely sunny morning with a light chill breeze: it was great to be out and we saw red squirrels which is always a treat for me.
In conclusion, a wonderful couple of stalks in beautiful countryside in the company of a real countryman. This was also my first double roe cull and I will saver the memory for many years.
Heading home in the morning, back to my workshop restoring antique shotguns so I shouldn't complain: could be a whole lot worse!

Back