Notification of transaction

Mr B

Just after confirmation:

if I collect a rifle from an RFD, as well as them notifying my issuing constabulary of the transaction, I’m legally obliged to notify them also?

I collected a rifle, RFD completed paperwork their end and when I asked for a photocopy of their notification form, stated “you don’t need one, we’ll notify them for you.”

I took the rifle home, put it in the cabinet along with my FAC, then headed away for the weekend.

emailled RFD to ask for the serial number and RFD no for me to complete my own notification and they’re reluctant to give the details to me!

i know I can simply wait til I’m home and get the details off my FAC, but I don’t see why the RFD is adamant that they’ve notified the police, that I don’t need to, and that I don’t need the details..

thoughts?

I don’t want to end up in the deep end when the RFDs notification fails to arrive and I’m asked why I didn’t notify as obliged...

If you acquire or transfer any weapon, you must notify the Firearms & Explosives Licensing Department in writing within 7 days of the transaction. This notification MUST be sent by recorded or special delivery or by permitted electronic means, such as email or fax.
Full details (name, address and certificate number) of both the buyer and seller and of the weapon must be provided.
The transfer of firearms, shotguns or ammunition must be in person. The buyer must produce to the seller their certificate entitling them to purchase, or acquire, the weapons or ammunition

Heym SR20

I always make a point of notifying the police of all transfers, whether I have acquired or disposed of any firearm and from and to whomever. May be belt and braces, but won't leave it to chance.

Normally send an email with words to the effect:

"Please be advised that I have bought / acquired xyz, serial number xxxxx from Joe Bloggs Firearms of Trumpton, RFD No XXX on date XXX

Please confirm receipt of the this eamil and add the details to my FAC No ....... record."

Also work from first principles and take the actual serial number from the Firearm. It's amazing how dislexic many people, especially fire arms dealers are.

Last edited:

VSS

I always make a point of notifying the police of all transfers, whether I have acquired or disposed of any firearm and from and to whomever. May be belt and braces, but won't leave it to chance.

Please be advised that I have bought / acquired xyz, serial number xxxxx from Joe Bloggs Firearms of Trumpton, RFD No XXX on date XXX

Please confirm receipt of the this eamil and add the details to my FAC No ....... record.

^^^^exactly what I have just done, no problems, everybody happy.
In the past I've always sent notification on paper.

Mr B

I’ve also done this with every firearm and shotgun. Trying to figure out why this particular RFD took such exception to me carrying out my legal obligation!

Alantoo

I was told by an RFD that I didn't need to, his covered it...but my licence stipulated I should do it personally so I did.

They did manage to lose a hand delivered paper application in internal mail once...so as soon as it became possible to send notification by email I have done so.

I get back an auto response...

"Thank you for your E mail, it will be dealt with as soon as possible. If your message concerns the transfer of a weapon please accept this E mail as an acknowledgement of our receipt of your Email to us. If you require immediate information or assistance, our contact telephone number is 01452 754516
Kind Regards,

Gloucestershire Constabulary Firearms Licensing"

but at least you have a record...

Alan

Mr B

Imagine my surprise when my RFD responds to my request with this:

Now … you have ****ed me off to no small degree .I specifically told you that all notifications had been sent. They have been received by police but it seems that you doubt my word.”

Last edited:

User00003

Shocking response! you should always notify the police personally. But may I ask, the rfd will have entered his details AND the serial number on your FAC when you collected it, so you should already have had their details?? Or am I missing something here??

Alantoo

Shocking response! you should always notify the police personally. But may I ask, the rfd will have entered his details AND the serial number on your FAC when you collected it, so you should already have had their details?? Or am I missing something here??

I think you missed the "something" that he has gone away for the weekend leaving his FAC and the rifle at home. He has then asked the RFD for the details so he can send them on to the police.

Incidentally Mr B...on my last renewal I read the advisory note which asked me to confirm that I had checked the serial numbers of the weapons...I realised I had just copied them from the RFD paperwork and certificate entries in the past because I found two discrepancies...I was able to photocopy the invoices and receipts showing the mistakes by the RFDs and sent those in as mitigating circumstances...but you might be well advised to wait until you get home and take the serial number directly off the rifle yourself anyway.

Alan

Minto

States on my FAC that I have to notify within 7 days any purchases or sales of firearms

victormeldrew

When I bought my last shotgun (which was a good few years ago), the RFD who supplied it had a standard A4 sheet of paper, which was divided into two sections.
The top section was his notification to the Police that he had sold the gun & the lower half was the buyer's notification of the purchase.

We both completed & signed the appropriate section, he faxed the form to The Licensing Branch & job done.

I agree with previous posts - do your own notification.

victor

Lord V

Imagine my surprise when my RFD responds to my request with this:

Now … you have ****ed me off to no small degree .I specifically told you that all notifications had been sent. They have been received by police but it seems that you doubt my word.”

Welp... I would be taking my business elsewhere for the foreseeable.

The onus is on you (certificate holder) to make the notification - If its not, it's your neck in the noose no one else's!

Even if the RFD has taken care of posting the form (as many offer) - I'm still sending an email. That sort of response to a customer trying to care for his legal obligation raises more questions about him than you!

Mr B

I’m glad people are on the same wavelength and I’m not missing something which has fundamentally changed!

My response:

I don’t doubt your word at all. I believe that you have notified the police. The bottom line is that I’m also obliged to notify them. I presume this is a legal fail safe in case something goes wrong.

If something goes wrong and the police subsequently revoke my FAC for failing to notify them, as legally bound, that I have obtained a new firearm, will you issue me a new FAC?

I made a simple request for these two details. I’m still not sure why you were so reluctant to give the details to me.

No reply.... that’s one RFD I won’t be using in future.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Just curious but what's the name of this RFD with the strange approach to customer relations Mr B ?

FISH BOY

Totally agree that it is the individuals responsibility to advise their issuing constabulary.

If you want something done right, always do it yourself.

spandit

If you were only away for the weekend then couldn't you have just waited until you got home? Otherwise, I'd have e-mailed/phoned my firearms department and explain that I've bought a rifle from such-and-such RFD but am away and it's in the cabinet so might miss the 7 day deadline - mistakes happen, I shouldn't think they'd have a problem with that.

Mr B

Yep, could’ve waited, or the RFD could have written down a number from the book in front of him for me. Not much to ask.

diverdave

My experience was similar, i traded in an HMR, and watched the RFD fax the paperwork to the police. Some months later, when the RFD sold the rifle i had a harsh phone call from Firearms licensing saying i had not informed them the rifle had been traded in and they only found out when it was sold on.
Thankfully i had copies of the receipt, the correct entries on my FAC from the RFD all stamped and also the copy fax, and was able to show all this and explain that the RFD had completed the paperwork and told me there was no need to. The backed off and agreed that the RFD had made the mistake and not me, and it appears that particular RFD is infamous for this.
Now i email a note every time, just with basic details, so they can come back to me if the RFD has not done their bit as promised.

slider

"Please be advised that I have bought / acquired xyz, serial number xxxxx from Joe Bloggs Firearms of Trumpton, RFD No XXX on date XXX

Please confirm receipt of the this eamil and add the details to my FAC No ....... record."

Also work from first principles and take the actual serial number from the Firearm. It's amazing how dislexic many people, especially fire arms dealers are.

Do this and send the email with "receive receipt" and "read receipt" notifications save the email in a safe place.

I had an incident at last renewal when the FEO asked to see a shotgun that I had sold 2 years previous. He accused me of not notifying them and threatened to not renew my ticket. The Read receipt email proved I had notified them.

VSS

Do this and send the email with "receive receipt" and "read receipt" notifications save the email in a safe place.

I had an incident at last renewal when the FEO asked to see a shotgun that I had sold 2 years previous. He accused me of not notifying them and threatened to not renew my ticket. The Read receipt email proved I had notified them.

Sounds like you got a grumpy one!
I had a shotgun not on ticket at one renewal, as I'd clean forgot to notify when I got it back from long term loan to a friend. FEO just said "I'll add this one for you now!" No problem!