NT right at it....£££$$$

deerstalker.308

Well technically tim, they want to charge that fee to go in their visitor centre..... nowhere does it say “you must pay to walk past this point” personally reading that sign you’d be pretty dim to think you had to pay..? Someone has got their knickers twisted here me thinks, local politics.....

landkeeper

A lot of the visitors to the site are non english speakers the turn over for it must be millions pa ,the place certainly gives the impression and illusion when you get there that the only way to access the causeway is through the visitors centre , its an impressive structure with prices to match lol public footpaths are not that clearly marked or obvious .They also booted off the family run buisness that had been there for 100 years! long before the NT aquired the site .

Last edited:

Tim.243

Well technically tim, they want to charge that fee to go in their visitor centre..... nowhere does it say “you must pay to walk past this point” personally reading that sign you’d be pretty dim to think you had to pay..? Someone has got their knickers twisted here me thinks, local politics.....

Loads of dim people pay.....look at the queues into the game fairs....

:rofl:

Tim.243

kes

It is fair to say that the NT signs are unhelpful and lead anyone to presume the fees quoted are to visit the causeway - there is no castle, just a cafe. Its some business managers idea of how to sell NT membership and, in this case, site entry. In my view its reprehensible and the action proposed by the local council to clearly mark the footway as PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY - is the right way to go. It even says that people visiting do so 'courtesy of the NT'.

If Tony Blair or Alistair Campbell saw this they'd smile. The manager who thought this up should be removed, no question in my mind - the signs and legend are designed to deceive.

caorach

Well technically tim, they want to charge that fee to go in their visitor centre.....

This is absolutely true but when you go there even locals read the signs, barriers etc. as meaning you have to pay, there are some questions being asked as to where all the cash the NT raise on the North Antrim Coast goes to. The whole thing is designed in a way which makes it look like a very expensive day out when, in fact, there is nothing to stop you simply walking down. I know quite a number of decidedly un-dim people who when faced with the signs etc. concluded that they needed to pay. Yesterday my father was up there and spent some time with some visitors directing them as to how to park at greatly reduced prices and that they didn't need to pay to enter an NT gift shop.

The NT, like any of the big charities, is simply a big business intent on reaming every penny they can out of you and certainly in this case their methods are unpleasant and designed to mislead, at the very least.