NV..... and another pick of the Collective Brain..... aka “searching for light in the darkness”

Big_Sparky

How’do! Is it just me, or does everyone check that autocorrect doesn’t insert “Brian” before posting something to include the word “brain”...... anyways......

Ok - so - after some advice, for a change! I’m wanting to get a NV setup underway and have been advised, as it’ll be a fairly tight budget, to look at something like a Yukon Photon RT or a Sightmark Wraith etc. alongside a thermal spotter - probably looking at an Axiom XM22. Firstly any advice on that would be helpful - I’ve read a fair bit as well as searching around on here. The main crux of my question is as follows though......

The main plan for the setup would be to use with a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 (that I’m buying tomorrow!) and comes with a Swarovski 8x56 scope and optilock mounts. Now, whilst I accept that the NV scopes I’m looking at are also day scopes - I’m assuming they won’t have anything like the clarity and range of a dedicated day scope (please correct me if you think that’s not a fair assumption!) so....... (as ever - I meander to my point in the end) ..... as I’m also wanting to use the .233 for some target work as there a realistic system (to include types of rails or mounts etc) that makes swapping the scopes over quick and easy and, most ideally, leading to only needing to have a quick check zero rather that messing on setting up almost from scratch?

As ever, apologies in advance for potential daft questions or missing something obvious - despite years of firearms experience - always bear in mind my knowledge is based around whatever I could persuade my old QM to issue me and not the mind blowing range of options that sit in a decent dealer and certainly not the World Wide InterMess :old: :rofl:

As ever, be gentle and thanks in advance!!

Orion

Depends on how far you want to reach out but my options would be either:

a) Pard NV008 on a decent QD mount - Kevgun on NVForumUK is working on something at the moment - and keep your existing scope.

or

b) Half decent quality NV compatible dayscope - Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 MOA reticle or similar, with Pard NV007 add-on + Dark Engine, Solaris etc. IR if you want to shoot at extended ranges.

Big_Sparky

If I can be of any help or you need any prices just let me know.

Regards

Toby
Thanks Toby - your thoughts on the above would be appreciated! Was actually hoping to pop up last week for a first visit - we stay near Oban but had strayed up to Inverness for the day as the Missus had an interview. Sadly we ended up short of time and I couldn’t twist her arm to allow the additional trip to Tain :scared:

Big_Sparky

Depends on how far you want to reach out but my options would be either:

a) Pard NV008 on a decent QD mount - Kevgun on NVForumUK is working on something at the moment - and keep your existing scope.

or

b) Half decent quality NV compatible dayscope - Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 MOA reticle or similar, with Pard NV007 add-on + Dark Engine, Solaris etc. IR if you want to shoot at extended ranges.
Thanks mate - I’ll have a nose through those options as well! Two genuine questions - put into my head during much drinking at a Keepers Day a few weeks back) if using a Pard add on (or any other brand for that matter) how much does that affect you in terms of setup - ie - your normal firing position and eye relief etc? And, from the same whisky fuelled debate, assuming you use/have used one - what’s your take on claims of folks with eye issues after using? (That’s not meant to start a row - for anyone else reading btw - just stuff I’d like to have right in my mind)

Orion

I was using my Pard 007 on a 300BLK rifle with the scope set up for ‘normal’ day use in terms of eye relief . A simple £10 neoprene stock extender from Evilbay on the butt when using the add-on made it all very useable, if not totally perfect. I’ve now dropped another 22-250 action into a MagPul Hunter stock, which comes with a set of rear spacers, and adding or removing them for day or night use as required makes that setup spot on.

Can’t say that I’m aware of any ‘eye issues’ surrounding the use of either of the Pard units - dedicated or add-on - although I have dropped a red tinted additional lens into the 008 eyepiece rubber as an aid to preserving night vision. I also use my thermal spotter on the red image setting for the same reason.

I think you need to factor in what you’re looking for WRT nighttime performance and range you’re wanting to shoot and observe at, and that will narrow down the options.

Last edited:

Miki

NV addons are OK, the Ward800 is (IMO) better than the Pard which is on par with most others. Dedicated NV like the Pulsar 455 etc are better.
Addon NV requires an unfiltered glass scope with parallax adjustment (side focus / SF) to get the best out of the NV system. You also need a good Infra Red (IR) torch. There are several torches to choose from, pretty much all work well up to 80M, further needs the higher quality and for long distances there are now a range of Laser offerings.

The scope you mention is excellent for daylight gathering but is not best suited to NV, nor does it have SF so will not perform well with an addon. Fortunately scopes like a Hawke SF Vantage or Frontier are not expensive and work really well with a NV addon.
There are more expensive scopes that work as well but the top range offering from S&B, Swaro and Zeiss all have a lens coating that inhibits IR.

@Orion 's suggestion of a Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 is a good idea as this scope suits NV as well as being a capable for 'target work'.

gelert

No add on will work with that scooe you mentioned, which you probably knew.
The Wraith would knock spots off the Yukon and equally the Pard 008 would be another option.
You need to look at some quality quick release mounts Alan Rhone would be a good start.
Then possibly think about a picatiny rail to try to get some height.
Lastly would be a good IR torch and quality 3650 batteries.

mealiejimmy

The S&B 8x56 won't work well with any add-on, so, if you want a single set up for use both day and night it has to be a dedicated NV scope.
The Photon has good NV performance but is pretty terrible for daytime use.
The Wraith is BIG battery eating lump of a scope with a wide screen display that will do your head in.
The best choice, by some considerable margin is the PARD NV008.
Excellent daytime image and the onboard IR illuminator is good for 150 yards at night.
An additional IR illuminator is easily fitted and can increase range far beyond what you'll ever feel safe shooting at
You'll buy an NV008 for quite a bit less than the total cost of an 007 add-on and a decent quality scope that will work well with the 007.

Cheers

Bruce

DavyG

Here's what I ended up with....A pulsar digisight on an innomount QD mount (from Toby) coupled with a PBirS. Put the daytime scope on another QD innomount. Virtually no zero shift when swapping them over.
Well pleased....

Big_Sparky

Excellent - great food for thought as ever. Lots to think through!

In all fairness didn’t know the Swarovski scope wouldn’t be suitable so also thanks for that - everyday’s a school day!! Could possibly swap it with another scope on one of my other rifles if I went down the ad-on route.

Will explore the QD Mount suggestion - sounds like the very thing. In my mind I’m thinking back to an SA80 with a SUSAT fitted - simply undo the wingnuts - lift the lever and slide off - as long as you remembered which eye relief position to slide it back into tighten back up and away you went.

Freeforester

If money is tight, consider a good no spill torch with or without a rat tail switch. You'll not have much modification to do to your tikka /Swaro scope setup apart from fixing a suitable clamp,or mount to attach said light to your Swaro scope, which is excellent at light gathering after all. My money would be on an Acebeam W10 with a rat tail switch or even without, you can switch on skyward and drop down on to foxy, which you'll have already got the drift of position wise with yer thermal.

£180 (less if you go for another, admittedly inferior LED), and job done!

Big_Sparky

If money is tight, consider a good no spill torch with or without a rat tail switch. You'll not have much modification to do to your tikka /Swaro scope setup apart from fixing a suitable clamp,or mount to attach said light to your Swaro scope, which is excellent at light gathering after all. My money would be on an Acebeam W10 with a rat tail switch or even without, you can switch on skyward and drop down on to foxy, which you'll have already got the drift of position wise with yer thermal.

£180 (less if you go for another, admittedly inferior LED), and job done!
Really hadn’t thought of that at all! Might well be a plan - rather than having to tick on for the full package - :-|

Freeforester

If the money ain't tight, sure, but mounts, rails, etc begin to add up, you'd be looking north of £600 to sort a Pard 008 and suitable quality fittings for the Tikka. Pard 008 is for sure great kit, but if the budget "fairly tight" as is being suggested by the OP, then there would be an upper limit; what's best - spend £200 and do everything you can with the calibre, or say £400 on a used photon xt/rt with a decent laser IR, or blow the budget and go the whole Old Gloucester Spot, just as the days are a stretching again? A used Acebeam W10 will have a high residual/resell value too.

Choice is up to the OP, but there's more than one way to get the job done. Unless there's an overarching need to be completely covert, then it's just a case of the wallet and how empty one wishes to have it, any of the above solutions will get the job done, but the no-spill throwing light would be the simplest and lightest solution, very quick and easy to set up, making full use of the scope coming with the rifle, and all without need to re-zero; I accept however, that if there is going to be some target shooting ( there go the funds!), then this last point may be somewhat moot.

Big_Sparky

If the money ain't tight, sure, but mounts, rails, etc begin to add up, you'd be looking north of £600 to sort a Pard 008 and suitable quality fittings for the Tikka. Pard 008 is for sure great kit, but if the budget "fairly tight" as is being suggested by the OP, then there would be an upper limit; what's best - spend £200 and do everything you can with the calibre, or say £400 on a used photon xt/rt with a decent laser IR, or blow the budget and go the whole Old Gloucester Spot, just as the days are a stretching again? A used Acebeam W10 will have a high residual/resell value too.

Choice is up to the OP, but there's more than one way to get the job done. Unless there's an overarching need to be completely covert, then it's just a case of the wallet and how empty one wishes to have it, any of the above solutions will get the job done, but the no-spill throwing light would be the simplest and lightest solution, very quick and easy to set up, making full use of the scope coming with the rifle, and all without need to re-zero; I accept however, that if there is going to be some target shooting ( there go the funds!), then this last point may be somewhat moot.
Really appreciate all of that and pleased to see I’m not the only person who likes to make a lengthy and articulate reply to a post! I never could write a short email.....!

Certainly more options to consider!

Big_Sparky

Thanks for all the input and advice Gents, as ever!

As explained in various previous posts - the most difficult yet most interesting part of the transition from years of military experience to sporting newbie is the sheer volume of choice!

Maybe need to get myself along to one of these NV demo’s I’ve seen advertised and have a good look at some of the options.

I do note several of you have suggested Pard - either add on or actual scope. As I mentioned in an earlier comment my concern with Pard was brought about firstly by a pal (who’s actually a Gamekeeper and an RFD - he just trades on a limited basis from a metal container on their estate rather than a shop as such so doesn’t really keep stock of new items) who’s heard reports of people having problems with eyesight after using a Pard product. Equally there was quite a lengthy post and debate on here a while back accompanied with lots of references to rules about lasers and all sorts. Appreciate there was also a lot of people saying these reports were rubbish but you’ll hopefully understand my reservations. Good to be actually hearing from people who own and use them though rather than a tale via someone’s mate’s Aunty Doris who spoke to a fella in a bar once.....!