NV for dogs here. Heads up please guru`s.

johngryphon

I know that there are plenty of experienced members here that shoot at night and I am looking at getting something for the un trappable wild dogs around.

Every time a light hits their eyes they disappear and show another 100 yards away and so on. No different to a light shy fox.
So I had in mind either a Photon or a Nitesite Eagle the latter which is attractive as I could use on another rifle if needed.

I figure that one of the choices above would be pretty good on my .220 Swift.

So fellas hows about the heads up goss on which and why.

I know there are better units out there but this is also for cost as I wouldn't be out that much,mainly when there is a bit of activity ie howling,carcase visits or calf killing.
I am really looking forward to your answers as all I really have is advertising blurbs and utube.

sauer

Hi ,

"The" place to ask would be on the nightvisionforumuk but good few of their guys are on here so guess they will see it .

What's your budget ? You say cost ...so I'm guessing that meant keep it low ....
I'm talking digital NV here
The photon I have no experience of but others reckon. It's about the best price wise for a dedicated NV scope in that price bracket .
For an add on you have versatility of taking on & off but most require your day scope to have side parallex in order to get best picture ....
Performance wise best one at moment is Clive Ward wd700 or wd800 but more expensive than the photon .

No experience of nitesite stuff.

Another option if your looking at costs but can be handy with your hands is to build your own add on , there are plans and plenty who have built the. On the nightvision forum Uk ...and one guy " somebloke" builds his own and a contained unit battery , screen and cables and IR source all in one unit for a very good price .....I hear it's nitesite quality or better for less cash .

Traditional tubed stuff I guess. Cheapest option would be an archer add on ?

Sure more experienced folk will come by with better advice

Paul

johngryphon

Thanks Paul,yes cost comes into it as I buy toys and often get bored with them and knowing me buying top end stuff it would be wasted.

Recoil is a factor too as I may want to put it on something heavier at times.

https://scopedout.com.au/products/yukon-photon-xt-6-5x50-rifle-scope $800 AUD is 470 Pom quid

Nite Site Eagle @ $1500 AUD = 880 Poms

How is that price compared to what you buy for?

There is no way I could build a kit one even with a red hot poker up my freckle lol.

I reckon there are enough blokes on here for me to listen to without joining another mob but thanks.

Tozzy tells me that its all ordinary compared to the military stuff..I wish!

mereside

I use a photon but instead of a doubler i have a small collar made up and a camera lens fitted and it is very clear indeed. I am very pleased with it, lots have done this mod and are also happy, atb wayne

Millerich

Home build is very easy, and you can build something akin to the Nitesite stuff, of equal or better quality, for a fraction of the price. I've built one that I use for air rifle. Now I've got my FAC, I plan to use it on the .22lr and my HMR, but I'm getting a Photon for the .223.

mealiejimmy

I'm a big fan of the Photon, but 300 yards is a long way to shoot with one. The camera in it is very sensitive to light, but to get it that way it has to have pretty poor resolution (big pixels), so a dog size target at 300 yards is not going to be at all clear - even with a doubler. The Photon is also a Night vision scope (day time performance is rubbish) so it would need to be dedicated to one rifle.
The best add-on is the Ward D800 - or it's predecessor, the D700 Add on / Clip on - Shop
I'm not a fan of the NiteSite products - they are vastly overpriced for what they are - and Paul is correct, you can build something better for a lot less or buy one from Some Bloke Dave on the NVUK forum for a lot less KwikFit Add On Night Vision rigs - reduced prices for 2017 - www.nightvisionforumuk.com
Designs like the Nitesite which have a camera mounted behind the scope and a screen mounted above the scope all suffer from the problem that the rifle cannot be mounted properly because the camera is where your eye would normally be.
The Ward rear add-ons, with their mirror and built in near eye display, are the only type that are short enough to be fitted to the ocular of the scope and still allow the rifle to be mounted correctly.

Cheers

Bruce

riflerob

Another vote for the Photon.

Bear in mind that, as you're essentially invisible, those 300 yard shots will come in a lot closer. Here I've regularly watched polecats and their young (a type of wild ferret) at ranges of 50 yards or less, with them not having a clue I'm there.
I'm not a big fan of the Nitesite - they're big and clunky, in my opinion.

If you can go for a dedicated NV setup, and want something relatively cheap, effective, but ready-made, then the Photon is very good.

Eric the Red

Yukon (makers of the Photon) - have a new product coming to market shortly (here in the UK, so I would imagine with you, but should check) Called the Sightline it comes in two configs - 5x/10x and 7x/14x. It is a little more expensive than the Photon, but still incredible value - and will give you that bit more stretch on mag, without breaking the bank.
You will need to think very carefully about the IR illumination you will need at those ranges - you'll need something quite pokey to be effective.

Tim.243

I know that there are plenty of experienced members here that shoot at night and I am looking at getting something for the un trappable wild dogs around.

Every time a light hits their eyes they disappear and show another 100 yards away and so on. No different to a light shy fox.
So I had in mind either a Photon or a Nitesite Eagle the latter which is attractive as I could use on another rifle if needed.

I figure that one of the choices above would be pretty good on my .220 Swift.

So fellas hows about the heads up goss on which and why.

I know there are better units out there but this is also for cost as I wouldn't be out that much,mainly when there is a bit of activity ie howling,carcase visits or calf killing.
I am really looking forward to your answers as all I really have is advertising blurbs and utube.

Contact this guy....speaks the same language as you lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLSZsW1ZMd4&t=10s

I have his email address as we chat a bit about foxing etc if you want it...

Tim.243

bobjs

well IMO:

I would save up and get a second hand drone pro 10x, I took my farthest fox last night using the on board long range ret, a sunnranger IR torch and a tikka 595 in 20 tac.

305 yards watched the shot from muzzle to target, cold on the spot.

I don't shoot that distance all the time but this boy was used to all the sounds from the estate vehicles and I had to use a non estate vehicle to get to him, been a pain in the Rs for months and months, 'not any more'

bob.

PS: DONT go for the X sight really pants and too software driven, sluggish and not very impressed with the ones we have used here, needless to say they have all been sold and replaced with Drones.

johngryphon

Fella`s first up I thank you all for your various inputs and from what I have read so far it seems that my easiest way is to simply get a photon..BUT then Eric suggests that there is a new model,that might trigger a price fall in the old stock or the new model maybe so much better.I`m listening to you also mealiejimmy.

Tim there seemed to be a lot of faffing around for the fox in that video.

joed

Seems like the sightline has dissapeared...not releasimg in the uk perhaps. Pulsar have got a new jobby out...i was wondering if they have binned the sightline. Everywhere I saw it previously had removed it.

Eric the Red

Seems like the sightline has dissapeared...not releasimg in the uk perhaps. Pulsar have got a new jobby out...i was wondering if they have binned the sightline. Everywhere I saw it previously had removed it.
I've just checked with the distributor - the factory have literally just pulled it - no other information at this time.

joed

Simon, do you know anything about the pulsar unit? I thought there might be some crossover there and the two units would clash for the market having seen the new pulsar release

johngryphon

Got this email

Kontaktanfrage Aussteller & Produkte IWA OutdoorClassics

[FONT=&quot]Dear John,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your letter and interest in our products.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This year Sightline will not be launched. We postponed its production till next year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Autralia we work through our distributor Extravision Australia Pty¨.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please contact them for the all updates:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Extravision Australia Pty[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phone: +61 7 3393 9384[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Fax: +61 7 3393 3985[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.extravision.com.au[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]sales@extravision.com.au[/FONT]

rabbit

have a look at the ward d vision 800,or if youre looking at home build you wont get better than "some blokes" home builds on the NV forum,not sure on postage though