NV -What have you got ?

Johno100

Im thinking of investing in a NV scope or maybe an attachment for an existing scope , budget max is £1200 ish , Im keen to hear your recommendations and experiences .

I recently used a NV750 scope and thought it was a good bit of kit , anyone have an opinion on these ?

Thanks In Advance.

wraith

if it was me get adedicated gen2+ or gen 3 i use d480 same as d760 in gen3 turn on shoot job done no fafing about with knobs or buttons if i had all the time in the world to shoot foxes if they would just sit there then mabey i would purchase digital but as it is its not my thing yet but things are a chainging and digital will get the better of tubed units mark my words so to all the digital manufacturers green screen gain controil seperate from on off swich would be a good start not forgeting 8 mag

fizzbangwhallop

I'd be looking hard at the Yukon Photon and doubler and a Nightmaster NM800 IR - well under your budget, but a safe first foray into NV.

I'd hold off on the £200+ NM800 and try a converted T20 torch for £45 odd..... available from Marky610/nite-tek or sikastag/Ian/IR lightbuilds. Somewhere in here www.nightvisionforumuk.com View forum - Sales and wanted items, swaps, e.t.c

Loads of useful info on that forum on the Photon and the T20's.

Using my G3 14 last night with the T20 on the Photon turned on I could see a biq square of the focused T20 on the field way out to an easy 200m. There are other options too and all cheaper than the NM.... although I do have one in red and find that very useful for spotting.

's me

atb

Fizz
:cool:

V8 90

I wouldn't advise the Photon for Foxing with a .204 - You need at least an N750 with a doubler + a good IR Illuminator.

V8 90

I don't think the picture quality is good enough for 150yd + (I have 1 on a Hmr) A doubler can be fitted but the screen inside is what it is.

easypeasy

I had the Photon for a couple of days and got rid. It wasn't that great I thought. I needed a scope for foxing and the photon wasn't it. It would be good for short range bunnys etc sub 100 but after that you wouldn't know if you were shooting at a fox or the farmers cat.
That said I used the photon only without the doubler which by all accounts makes a world of difference. So look out for a Photon will doubler, give it a blast and if you dont like it sell it on.
As fizzbang said the T20 for the money is a cracking bit of kit.

chrisc

is there anyone around co durham or north Yorkshire who has a photon who would let me have a look through it as I am thinking of getting one but have not had a proper look through one.

if so please send me a pm

regards chris

PeterH

Fox/Rabbit - 150yds.- 204 Ruger Howa .

Johno - where abouts in the SW are you? I am a couple of miles from Wellington - 5 mins from J26 or J27 Have an Archer which you are welcome to pop over and have a look through. A bit more than your budget (I can get them a little cheaper than retail) but it may just make you think about putting a few more pennies aside.
Peter

Johno100

Johno - where abouts in the SW are you? I am a couple of miles from Wellington - 5 mins from J26 or J27 Have an Archer which you are welcome to pop over and have a look through. A bit more than your budget (I can get them a little cheaper than retail) but it may just make you think about putting a few more pennies aside.
Peter

Im a bit far from you ,thanks for the offer , I recently borrowed a hand held Archer for spotting , very impressive .

fizzbangwhallop

I don't think the picture quality is good enough for 150yd + (I have 1 on a Hmr) A doubler can be fitted but the screen inside is what it is.

.......and the cross-hair is a bit on the heavy side meaning you might be obscuring too much of your target.

Chrisc....

is there anyone around co durham or north Yorkshire who has a photon who would let me have a look through it as I am thinking of getting one but have not had a proper look through one.

I don't know if you know or live near Camo304.... he's got one.

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:

fizzbangwhallop

Mine sitting on my .17Rem with doubler and Oslon Black IR'd T20.

The T20 mount was from a UK fleabay seller and means I can adjust it with my left hand. The torch just needed a wrap of gaffer to get it to snugfit. I also had to take a stanley to the Photon to remove a nadge from the front of the torch mount grooves to get it to fit and sit flat....there's a slight moulding overlap there and it was either that or take some metal off the front of the mount to achieve the same thing.

The extension tube on the T20 is a bit of Floplast pipe which is a push fit to see if this has an effect in reducing any possible glare directly from the T20 hitting the back of the mod and consequently spoiling the view through the scope which is mounted in Optilock Lows and close to the boresight line.

The fishing rod coaster on the Photon focus is from fleabay and the cable tie on the torch is, well, just a cable tie.... both help adjustment... especially with gloves on.

The bit of gaffer holding the doubler's cap on is because I've got a 55mm 850nm camera filter in there held on by the cap - not convinced about using this but others have found it improves the contrast.

Last edited: