Offset barrel

Hook'N'Bullet

Evening Folks,

So I have this Howa 1500 that was gifted to me. Know nothing about it and have never shot it. The barrel is free floated but sort of leans to one side of the stock (left). It's still free floated with this issue. Should it affect accuracy? In the photo I've attached you can see the barrel is sort of pushed to the right.
5a3998be7e00498b7d73d36dd44ad366.jpg

Can you slide a piece of paper etc freely down the gap?

You could try loosening and retightening the action screws while getting the barrel more centred also.
Yeah I can slide a piece of paper all of the way down to the action with any problem. I've take the stock off and put it back on which I think has reduced it but it's still there.

Or take the action out and do it and the retrofit of course, depends entirely on whether you want to remove the action and have to re zero

If it were mine I'd open the barrel channel by about 3-4mm, then open the bedding area a bit and pillar bed the action and mag system but no part of the barrel. Have a turned piece of alu or plastic on the barrel at the front of the stock to centre and make sure the barrelled action sits in the right angle. Re-seal the barrel channel.
edi

If it were mine I'd open the barrel channel by about 3-4mm, then open the bedding area a bit and pillar bed the action and mag system but no part of the barrel. Have a turned piece of alu or plastic on the barrel at the front of the stock to centre and make sure the barrelled action sits in the right angle. Re-seal the barrel channel.
edi
In the ideal world of course, but I suspect the OP is hoping for a fix not rebuilding the system

In the ideal world of course, but I suspect the OP is hoping for a fix not rebuilding the system

That is the proper fix

Opening the barrel channel isn’t sorting the offset inletting - though it could be the barrel channel is offset if carelessly done at point if manufacture

I’d see how it shoots first without doing anything

Assess accuracy and go from there

Have a beautiful little .22LR Anschutz rifle with just this same... problem(?). It has come on over the years of my use and ownership, likely due to having been out in some really foul weather in earlier years when I was younger, fitter and way more enthusiastic about getting out in gross conditions....
The fore-end has developed a directional shift to one side like yours such that one can SEE this if looking - though it is easily missed if no-one mentions it - however the metal of the barrel and wood of the fore-end do NOT touch at any point excepting where this SHOULD be happening, from the rear tang forward to under the first inch or so of the barrel itself, i.e under the chamber. Accuracy has ALWAYS been exceptional with this wee thing such that with the 40gr Winchester subsonic, truncated hollow-points that I have used almost exclusively, one shot killing hits on my rabbit quarry have been the norm' out to around 80yds with little or no fuss.

Aesthetically this 'bend' has irked me somewhat, occasionally, and I have even tried bending the fore-end off in the other direction and tagging it down for a day or two. However the possible re-adjustment hasn't really stayed there and has returned after a similar short time lapse. I have thought that the bend may have been at least exacerbated by the fact that I use a wrap around my arm sling hold when applying my aim in stand up, unsupported mode out in arable fields where there were/are no leaning places and before I bought and employed a set of adjustable sticks. The sling attaches to a swivel point under the front end of the fore-end and that wrap-around stance applies almost direct sidewards pressure on the woodwork, adding to that offset each time the stance is used. .. Then the woodwork springs back once the shot is taken and the sling released from this anchoring stance. Obviously the fore-end woodwork is quite slim to be able to notice this.

But as I have mentioned, apart from the aesthetics of the matter, actual functioning of the rifle is still utterly faultless and accuracy unaffected, so doing something about it is a matter of inclination and abilitiy... BOTH of which are low in me in this particular case 😋...

ATB ...... and shoot safely

I’ve seen this millions of times, it’s the action to barrel channel inlet that’s not perfect, cnc milling imperfections. No need to go and spend a fortune and a week or two for just creating a touch more clearance on one side. Of course , with cheap wood it could be warping.

mid the rifle didn’t shoot or group consistently I’d of course say yes, get it bedded

Yeah I can slide a piece of paper all of the way down to the action with any problem. I've take the stock off and put it back on which I think has reduced it but it's still there.

On the last N/V off scope on swap ( N/V back on know) Johan (JVR) was here for a visit from SA he makes barrels from blank stock, gun drill, button rifling, hand lapping, barrel profiling, threading etc.
Short story was the Kahles ran out of windage! most strange as it was close to centre before the Drone went on some time ago.
I had left an extra day in reserve to give him some shots with my .270 and for me to scope the .243.
Time for a plan, bore foam clean the barrel, swap rings front to back, 1 min later Johan had my bolt in bits cleaning all the parts to a new pin lol
On taking the stock off a shiny mark was on the barrel from the stock so we put it back together and checked it with some paper...it did tighten up on that point as that is where the gun rests on the sticks also the drone is heavy and a T8.

While the bore foam was doing its thing I dressed the inside of the stock with a coarse half round file....
Barrel cleaned, bolt back together re check with 2 thicknesses of paper swap rings Kahles back on bore sight and back in middle of windage...Headache gone...
4 shots on the plate 2 more 30mm high @100 yds 2 in the bull at 200...

Shooting is a skill which is driven by being confident with your kit and yourself, for me I would pull it out put it back if it is the same redress that side other wise you will never be sure until it is right...

Tim.243

Yeah i took it out of the stock and put it back and still the same situation. I can side a piece of paper between the stock and barrel so maybe its not an issue. Just hope i don't run out of windage as stated

I should say that wherever it's been stored is warmer one side than the other, causing the forend to warp a little. All my rifles go a little like that, all the same way. My cabinet has one side against a cold stone wall, and the other side facing into the the room. Provided that they remain free floating it doesn't seem to matter. You could always remove a bit more material from the channel to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
I should say that wherever it's been stored is warmer one side than the other, causing the forend to warp a little. All my rifles go a little like that, all the same way. My cabinet has one side against a cold stone wall, and the other side facing into the the room. Provided that they remain free floating it doesn't seem to matter. You could always remove a bit more material from the channel to be on the safe side.

Thanks VSS, The gap is fine but i might do a small bit of sanding. Do you recon a piece of 120 grit around a broken broom handle would do the job?

Thanks VSS, The gap is fine but i might do a small bit of sanding. Do you recon a piece of 120 grit around a broken broom handle would do the job?
That's the way I did mine, but I'm no expert - plenty of folk on here better able to give you guidance as to the best procedure.
Don't forget to seal the wood after sanding, before reassembly. I just treated with a few coats of linseed oil, well rubbed in.

That's the way I did mine, but I'm no expert - plenty of folk on here better able to give you guidance as to the best procedure.
Don't forget to seal the wood after sanding, before reassembly. I just treated with a few coats of linseed oil, well rubbed in.
That's great, thanks for your help

Yeah i took it out of the stock and put it back and still the same situation. I can side a piece of paper between the stock and barrel so maybe its not an issue. Just hope i don't run out of windage as stated

80 then 120....a bit of dowl as a broom handle will be to be to big.
I would use a DA disc as they have a sticky back but only as I have some in the shed.
Rest as above

Tim.243

I’ve seen this millions of times, it’s the action to barrel channel inlet that’s not perfect, cnc milling imperfections. No need to go and spend a fortune and a week or two for just creating a touch more clearance on one side. Of course , with cheap wood it could be warping.

mid the rifle didn’t shoot or group consistently I’d of course say yes, get it bedded
I had a. 17 cz with a lovely tiger stripe, shot OK but the the forend wood just like OP every time I picked the dammed thing up my eyes went straight to it! had to sell (almost gave) it, lesson learnt.

Back