One, two, three....

karamoja

I decided to go for a mooch about this morning and try and locate a fallow doe. They seem to have gone very noctornal recently (last few years) and much fewer around generally in the area. Although oddly they have begun rutting in the woods over the last few years when they never have in the past.
Parked up and got ready then went off to sit up before first light. I had decided to sit in a place I usually don't spend much time but felt the change would be good.
I began moving down the ride between the two woods, as I almost reached the spot I was going to I had some beasts move around obviously disturbed but not in panic flee mode as it was still dark. I could just make out the shapes twenty yards in to the brush. Damn... I carried on to another spot further up in the hope they might move past later.
I got to one of my favourite trees I like to sit at with a wide field of view through the trees to wait.
I had been sitting there a while and it was just light enough to see 40-50 yards when I heard some thing moving through the inches of tried beech leaves. A fox moving at a trot through trees from my left. I had had a recent conversation with the farmer about an increase in numbers so thought I should show willing. Boom. It was down. It was still dark enough to clearly see a big orange flame shoot out of the muzzle so I thought sit tight see if anything is moving and then I would have a very slow mooch back up through the trees. A lovely still dawn was still emerging when the movement of something drew my eye three or four minuets later. Another fox ambling towards the first from the right. Oh well in for a penny... Boom and it dropped ten yards from the first.
It was still not fully light so before I stalked up through the wood I thought despite the disturbance I would sit still abit.
Listening to the dawn chorous and watching a squirrel moving about on its non stop business I saw a third red baron following the line of the last. When it reached the second fox it attacked it I a violent frenzy. Crazy to watch and incredibly aggressive and violent. Boom.... Number three... I sat there for another five minutes when unbelievably a forth a vixen followed closely by a fitness. I tracked the vixen and when it stopped I going to be ready. Well it kept moving. I tried to stop it with a bark but it up gears and disappeared into some thicker stuff followed by the fifth. Oh well I really couldn't complain now could I! I stalked slowly back up through the wood seeing nothing but a few droppings from the group I had disturbed first thing.
Back to the car and home...

Attachments

Border

I decided to go for a mooch about this morning and try and locate a fallow doe. They seem to have gone very noctornal recently (last few years) and much fewer around generally in the area. Although oddly they have begun rutting in the woods over the last few years when they never have in the past.
Parked up and got ready then went off to sit up before first light. I had decided to sit in a place I usually don't spend much time but felt the change would be good.
I began moving down the ride between the two woods, as I almost reached the spot I was going to I had some beasts move around obviously disturbed but not in panic flee mode as it was still dark. I could just make out the shapes twenty yards in to the brush. Damn... I carried on to another spot further up in the hope they might move past later.
I got to one of my favourite trees I like to sit at with a wide field of view through the trees to wait.
I had been sitting there a while and it was just light enough to see 40-50 yards when I heard some thing moving through the inches of tried beech leaves. A fox moving at a trot through trees from my left. I had had a recent conversation with the farmer about an increase in numbers so thought I should show willing. Boom. It was down. It was still dark enough to clearly see a big orange flame shoot out of the muzzle so I thought sit tight see if anything is moving and then I would have a very slow mooch back up through the trees. A lovely still dawn was still emerging when the movement of something drew my eye three or four minuets later. Another fox ambling towards the first from the right. Oh well in for a penny... Boom and it dropped ten yards from the first.
It was still not fully light so before I stalked up through the wood I thought despite the disturbance I would sit still abit.
Listening to the dawn chorous and watching a squirrel moving about on its non stop business I saw a third red baron following the line of the last. When it reached the second fox it attacked it I a violent frenzy. Crazy to watch and incredibly aggressive and violent. Boom.... Number three... I sat there for another five minutes when unbelievably a forth a vixen followed closely by a fitness. I tracked the vixen and when it stopped I going to be ready. Well it kept moving. I tried to stop it with a bark but it up gears and disappeared into some thicker stuff followed by the fifth. Oh well I really couldn't complain now could I! I stalked slowly back up through the wood seeing nothing but a few droppings from the group I had disturbed first thing.
Back to the car and home...
Congratulations! Looks like you had an eventful morning. Tell me more about your rifle, I'm guessing a sporterised Lee Enfield? 303?

karamoja

Hi, yes it was a very memorable morning!!
Hi Border, yes it's an old Lithgow smle. Which I love dearly I have shot the males of red, fallow, roe and muntjac with her. I would love to take a sika stag and water deer buck with it one day. One rifle to join them all!!
I have had it since I was sixteen nearly thirty years now! she came out of Blands as they were closing for not alot of money and had never been used. I had the stock work was done by an old Churchill stocker the iron sites were done by Ron Wharton and the speed safety and trigger work by Martin Nettleton I think it was. There are a few small things still to do but I don't like it whens she's not in he safe. She's very accurate first two touching and the third slightly off to the left and up, from three quick shots.
I have always stuck to the 174gn Hornady but I do have some 150gns but never use them. One day.
Cheers and thanks for asking, K

alberta boy

Excellent write up K . As you know , I really like that rifle of yours ......... it's almost as nice as mine lol . Well done .

AB