Open license question

Founders

Hi all, I wanted to know how you tell if your section 1 is an open license as I cannot find anything online or on my cert?

any info much appreciated.

Many thanks

andyk

It will be based on the conditions placed on the license. An open license will only require that you use the rifle/rifles for the purpose for which they are granted on land where you have lawful authority to shoot, i.e. you assess whether it is safe to shoot on that land.

A 'closed' license will add wording 'on land approved by the Chief Officer of Police for that calibre of firearm' (or words to that effect), i.e. you can only use the rifle on land cleared as safe by the police.

In the latter case, it is the land which is cleared by the police, not you. So, if it has been cleared for a previous shooter for that cartridge, you just need that confirmation from the police. If not, they will want to inspect. They may do that by visiting, looking at maps, examining sheep entrails or any other method which takes their fancy.

Edit - if you have just been granted your license and not expressly asked and been granted open, it is almost certainly closed.

Founders

Thank you both and yes I was looking at the wording thinking it was closed still, I was hoping it would be open as makes it a pickle if I go on guided stalks! wanting to use my own rifle, however, I was informed after 3 years I can ask for it to be open and shouldn't be an issue that is not far away.

It does state " if suitable by the chief officer of police" so closed.

Chiyuan

if I go on guided stalks! wanting to use my own rifle
I called the FEO after I received my FAC and discussed this exact issue on the phone. He said if I was guided by someone, then I was ok to use my own rifle no matter the ground is cleared or not as long as the guide had an open ticket. In my few experience, the guide just asked what calibre it was then we were good to go.

Tim.243

Hi all, I wanted to know how you tell if your section 1 is an open license as I cannot find anything online or on my cert?

any info much appreciated.

Many thanks
Not many people bother to read the Guidance notes why I don't know but not many do...
This is from 2016 page 233

The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing-practice on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot. (The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence. There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

Put in for a variation on the basis you need the option of a open ticket etc....however make a decent case not on a postage stamp.

PM me if you get stuck

Founders

I called the FEO after I received my FAC and discussed this exact issue on the phone. He said if I was guided by someone, then I was ok to use my own rifle no matter the ground is cleared or not as long as the guide had an open ticket. In my few experience, the guide just asked what calibre it was then we were good to go.
Interesting I will speak to a guide I have used a few times and see what he says on that.

andyk

Interesting I will speak to a guide I have used a few times and see what he says on that.
It’s a common sense approach but it’s technically a breach of your conditions which say the land must be approved.

If I was going to rely on it, I’d want it in writing so at least they can’t deny telling you not to pay attention to the condition they put on your FAC.

Founders

Not many people bother to read the Guidance notes why I don't know but not many do...

The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing-practice on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot. (The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence. There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

Put in for a variation on the basis you need the option of a open ticket etc....however make a decent case not on a postage stamp.

PM me if you get stuck

Thank you Tim

I only just got my certs back with my 6.5 added, and a change of address to Thames Valley, (was East Sussex) So once I have gained some areas near here to shoot I will defiantly look at asking for an open ticket and may well be in touch.

Tim.243

Thank you Tim

I only just got my certs back with my 6.5 added, and a change of address to Thames Valley, (was East Sussex) So once I have gained some areas near here to shoot I will defiantly look at asking for an open ticket and may well be in touch.
Sent you a template letter..... :tiphat:

Dalua

I called the FEO after I received my FAC and discussed this exact issue on the phone. He said if I was guided by someone, then I was ok to use my own rifle no matter the ground is cleared or not as long as the guide had an open ticket.
I think I'd probably have ask the FEO to get that written on the FAC. As AndyK says, they can't just make a discretionary condition go away by telling you it only applies some of the time - that isn't how it works!

njc110381

I think I'd probably have ask the FEO to get that written on the FAC. As AndyK says, they can't just make a discretionary condition go away by telling you it only applies some of the time - that isn't how it works!
I agree. That's not my understanding of how conditions work either! If you use his rifle, you shoot within his conditions. If you use your own, you must adhere to yours.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Thank you both and yes I was looking at the wording thinking it was closed still, I was hoping it would be open as makes it a pickle if I go on guided stalks! wanting to use my own rifle, however, I was informed after 3 years I can ask for it to be open and shouldn't be an issue that is not far away.

It does state " if suitable by the chief officer of police" so closed.
Its not a problem taking your rifle onto other ground on paid stalks, as long as the ground is cleared for that calibre. Most large estates or farms if already stalked are cleared for up to 30 calibre. But always check first.

25 Sharps

He was wrong, that would only apply if you used the guide’s rifle and he was on an open ticket as the conditions apply to the firearm not the shooter.

25 Sharps

PM me if you get stuck
There is no set time but a shooter needs to attain a certain level of competence, going on 3-5 guided stalks a year means you will take longer to gain that experience who shoots on their own once a week or even once a month. When you shoot with a guide they tell you where and when to shoot, you do not have to make your own assessment of what is a safe shot. It makes sense for it to take longer to gain an open certificate if you only go on guided stalks