Opinion on Torn Calf Muscle

jamross65

Managed to tear a muscle in my calf on Sunday evening. Thought I could still take one of the boys over a 100m sprint. 5 paces in I felt the 'pop'!!!! Instantly unable to rise up onto the ball of the foot without collapsing! Stupid really as I know better than to do something like that without a warm up! Good news is I feel a fair amount of improvement since then but now bruising coming through which confirms the tear as opposed to just pulled....

Doc in A&E just looked, never even prodded and said I had a partial tear, not a complete rupture of the inner calf muscle, the one nearest the other leg. Suggested a bit of physio may help so I'm going to see the guy I have used for injuries before.

Question is I know its a common injury but was wondering roughly how long in the real world anyone on here experienced it was before fit enough again to start walking hills. Right at the start if the bloody stags too!!!!

1-3 months. Try to get it minorly mobile after month one to stop scar tissue forming. If it's a good tear then check the bottom of your foot as the blood can sometimes run down the inside of the leg and pool in your arch....breaks the ice at parties......

Managed to tear one a while back, it was good enough after a month to do the South Glenshiel ridge......bloomin' agony on the warm up munros though.....

Ice for week 1; Support bandages and deep massage after the first week.

Last edited:
Had partial year about 3 years ago and if I remember correctly it took about 4 weeks to heal with proper rest , I feel your pain pal currently in hosp with 2 broken legs and had both kneecaps plated :/

Brian thats what I done Jan last year, and the cause of missing a day with yourself... I iced mine down twice a day after the wife had worked the area just how my old rugby physio showed her. I ended up off work leg elevated for 3 weeks. The bruising was still coming out a month later. Unfortunately only time will tell you when your fit enough to get back out, but dont rush mate. 6-7 months later and I feel Im still not 100%. The damaged calf is not the same size or shape as my other calf.

ATB
nutty

Great....

wish I hadn't asked now....

Jimbo, after reading your post ill man the f**k up and stop bleating about a wee muscle tear.:eek:

Great....

wish I hadn't asked now....

Jimbo, after reading your post ill man the f**k up and stop bleating about a wee muscle tear.:eek:
Lol dont b daft pal torn muscles are a real. F$&@&r as I said mine wasn't a bad tear at all really so 4 weeks may be a little optimistic where you're concerned

Lol dont b daft pal torn muscles are a real. F$&@&r as I said mine wasn't a bad tear at all really so 4 weeks may be a little optimistic where you're concerned

I recall the recovery period and physio after rupturing my ACL at football, then a year later after it was reconstructed ruptured the repair playing rugby. I'll gladly take 6 weeks as opposed to that 9 months of hell....

Managed to tear a muscle in my calf on Sunday evening. Thought I could still take one of the boys over a 100m sprint. 5 paces in I felt the 'pop'!!!! Instantly unable to rise up onto the ball of the foot without collapsing! Stupid really as I know better than to do something like that without a warm up! Good news is I feel a fair amount of improvement since then but now bruising coming through which confirms the tear as opposed to just pulled....

Doc in A&E just looked, never even prodded and said I had a partial tear, not a complete rupture of the inner calf muscle, the one nearest the other leg. Suggested a bit of physio may help so I'm going to see the guy I have used for injuries before.

Question is I know its a common injury but was wondering roughly how long in the real world anyone on here experienced it was before fit enough again to start walking hills. Right at the start if the bloody stags too!!!!

2-5 months depending on severity to a return to normal activities

It's imperative that you keep up the physio throughout the healing process as you don't want any damaged tissue becoming fibrous as that will cause you long term grief.
as for the tear I would think at least eight weeks before you start putting your leg under a lot of strain. Torn muscles are a slow healing process my intercostal muscle took months before I was right and even then for a year or so after I got the odd twinge when dragging dead beasts.

dont overdo it and the best of luck!

​steve

eight weeks (depends on size of tear) Use a compression stocking on that leg. I have jest recovered from a 8cm x 2cm medial tear and it was about 8 weeks from last rupture. I put my heel down a rabbit hole that re did it then I went back to footy to early. If its a small tear it can be less but if you havnt had it ultrasounded you will have to treat it with the eight weeks. Dont forget to get a compression stocking.

Brian just relax and chill out and recover, and let me come shoot the sika in your absence ( to help you out of course) :D

Bob

MA man of your age will have trouble dragging them sturdy japs off the hill! Remember.... It's bit after the boom that seperate a the fit from the f@@@ed!!

​lol

has your ankle turned black yet ?, tore mine chasing a chicken, went off with a lovely pop,it hurt but I didn't,t rest it at all, kept doing light walking.

just back from physio. 2.5cm tear running lengthways. She managed to massage away the swelling and get her fingers into it to do friction as she called it.

No disrespect to any doctor who works in A&E as I admire the job they do but I am glad I went to the physio as their idea of recovery is a bit different to what I was told initially. She reckons 4-6 weeks and asked all about sports and pastimes, work etc and knows the season has started!!! had a deep massage on it, ultrasound and got a compression bandage as well so all good advice passed on here. Another visit back next week.

She was about 25 years old, long dark hair and very friendly. I reckon her times are out because I think it may take a lot longer and need several sessions before better.....;)

I will jeep you posted Bob if I need a hand with the deer!!!!! :D

Taff, not the ankle, but all down the back of the calf itself. Delighted though as she said to get on the bike on the rolling road so I do t feel I'll lose all the hard work put in over the last few moths. Was meant to be doing a 40mile cycle followed by a 20 mile hike/run at the end of August which won't happen now I guess...

just back from physio. 2.5cm tear running lengthways. She managed to massage away the swelling and get her fingers into it to do friction as she called it.

No disrespect to any doctor who works in A&E as I admire the job they do but I am glad I went to the physio as their idea of recovery is a bit different to what I was told initially. She reckons 4-6 weeks and asked all about sports and pastimes, work etc and knows the season has started!!! had a deep massage on it, ultrasound and got a compression bandage as well so all good advice passed on here. Another visit back next week.

She was about 25 years old, long dark hair and very friendly. I reckon her times are out because I think it may take a lot longer and need several sessions before better.....;)

I will jeep you posted Bob if I need a hand with the deer!!!!! :D

Taff, not the ankle, but all down the back of the calf itself. Delighted though as she said to get on the bike on the rolling road so I do t feel I'll lose all the hard work put in over the last few moths. Was meant to be doing a 40mile cycle followed by a 20 mile hike/run at the end of August which won't happen now I guess...

Oh its fun when they hit the spot!!!!! But no pain no gain...

Hope you feel better soon
nutty

Bob

MA man of your age will have trouble dragging them sturdy japs off the hill! Remember.... It's bit after the boom that seperate a the fit from the f@@@ed!!

​lol

Steve i'snt draggin what you have sons or mates for lol!, anyway from what we are used to those spindly Scottish sika should be easy :D

Steve i'snt draggin what you have sons or mates for lol!, anyway from what we are used to those spindly Scottish sika should be easy :D

Oh everything's bigger south of the border is it Bob???
:lol:

You may be right, they are half the size of your red stags but you can show us how fit that makes you at next years Deerstalking Fair with the simulated stag drag. it will be a long sack of sand weighing 12st to simulate a small jap stag, and you have to drag it only 30m. Fastest time and it will win you a day at the stags for 2 rifles with me. you will walk it mate with your conditioning on the big reds down your way!!!!!!

Back