options for a 6.5x55

Deerstalker6

Good Evening All,

I am just looking at getting a new or used 6.5x55,

Looking at a bergara b14 for new and Sako 75/85 and Tikka 690 for used,

Just wanted your thoughts whether to go for the slightly shorter barreled finnish rifles or the rem based bergara with its 24" barrel,

Shot several roe with a sako 75 estates rifle a few years back, never used a remmy based rifle in the field before.

All advice appreciated

White Hart

I've recently got a B14, and there a very good rifle out of the box. I did go for a wilderness as there a cerakote finish as I personally felt it would stand up to the elements better than the standard blue. I felt i was getting a lot of rifle for the money - chassis stock, decent barrel etc. Remmy parts fit so the worlds your oyster if you want to add options down the line, and good options on magazines as aics compatible. But each to there own... That being said you wont go far wrong with a used Sako 75/85 just with the Bergara you'll have broken it in yourself if that's of any worry to you...

big ears

20” barrel is long enough but to get the best out of factory a 22-24” would be better. If you load then the shorter barrel is no issue as you can adjust the powder to increase velocity.
I have a Tikka with 20” barrel which is my go to rifle for anything in the UK with lead or copper.

andychas

Id go for the used tikka 690 personally, very solid reliable rifles if my old 243 was anything to go by. re barrel length, are you going to use a moderator? that'll add length of course which may be a factor but I don't think you'll see any noticeable performance difference with the shorter barrels. Have you handled all 3? which one fits you best?

GWP

I have a 695 in 6.6x55 not sure about keeping it if you want a look and handle it pm your tel no also have a sako 75 to compare Dave

andyk

My own view (which I regularly extol on here) is that 20” barrels are a bit short for most cartridges if you want velocities which look anything like what you would expect from that cartridge. For me, 22” is about perfect as once you reach 24” things get a bit unwieldy.

There’s nothing wrong with the short barrels, and they make for good handling, but just keep I mind that with the exception of a few cartridges (.222, .223, .308 spring to mind) most need more than 20” to get a good powder burn, that’s particularly true of those which use slower powders (6.5 Swede being one of them).

I’ve had 2 Remmy’s (still have 1) and have found them accurate and that they just do what they need to without fuss. One did have a dodgy trigger but I’m 90% sure that was the previous owner. However, others have had worse experiences. I get the impression that QC was not always that good. You could get a real gem or an utter lemon.

I also have a Sako 75 and think it is the best put together rifle I have used, it’s 100% metal and just has that feeling of something that will never stop working. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with one and it is certainly something worth rebarelling when the time comes.

I’ve borrowed a couple of older Tikkas as well and they also had that ‘old school’ feeling of being made to last like the 75 does.

I’d say get a 75, there’s something quite classic about a proper Sako in the Swede.

pendle

If it's a older tikka make sure you can get mags for it.
Both my 6.5s are 20" both do what they need too factory or home loads
695 and a RWS Titan 6

Ozalid

After getting fed up with being knocked about by my 30-06, I invested in a Sako 85 in 6.5x55 and love it to bits, it took me a while to sort out the load, but now if it doesn’t shoot cloverleaf groups, its entirety my fault.

stubear

I'd go for the Sako or the Tikka personally - have a look at both and get the one you like the best.

Barrel wise I think once you get under 22" with modern bottle neck cartridges you may not be getting the best out of them, and that become even more apparent when you're talking large case capacity and a relatively small neck.

My .308 was a 22" barrel and I wish I'd gotten a 24" to be honest. My .25-06 is 24" and my win mag is 26" - both of those are comparatively large cases with relatively smaller projectiles so its slower powder and you need a longer barrel to burn it all and get the best out of the cartridge.

Worst thing you can do is take something like .300wm and cut it down to 20" or something. All you've got is a louder kickier .308 at that point. Half the powder is burning at the end of the barrel so if you've no moderator it will be loud with one hell of a muzzle flash, and if you have a moderator it will still be louder than a longer barreled rifle and the mod will heat up in no time trying to contain all that flash.

JMHO and all that

Last edited:

muddy42

I never really understood the "you need longer barrels to get the most out of a gun" argument. Perhaps stay away from some of the well known small calibers where deer legality may be in question with a short barrel, but otherwise the loss of velocity is meaningless and easily mitigated with reloading, lighter bullets, faster powders etc.

The benefits in handling is priceless plus not having that niggling feeling that zero might have been affected when you wallop the barrel plus moderator on the car boot, door frame or a branch in the dark.

andyk

I never really understood the "you need longer barrels to get the most out of a gun" argument. Perhaps stay away from some of the well known small calibers where deer legality may be in question with a short barrel, but otherwise the loss of velocity is meaningless and easily mitigated with reloading, lighter bullets, faster powders etc.
I think that just comes down to personal preference, but it's certainly worth keeping in mind when picking a rifle. In particular for certain cartridges. I used to have a 20" .270 and the muzzle velocity with factory ammo was around 2,850fps. I'm not saying that isn't more than sufficient for U.K. deer but I found it a bit irritating when you expect a .270 to be doing 3,050fps. I could make up for it hand loading, as you say, but more places prevent this now.

In that case I could likely have got that kind of muzzle velocity, or as near as damn it, with a 7mm-08 which would have had less bark and flip. The same can be said for cartridges like .30-06, which without a reasonable barrel won't achieve meaningfully more velocity than a .308.

If someone's aware of the m.v. loss and are happy to pay it for the convenience, fair play to them, but it's worth a mention so people go into it with eyes open to the downside of having a shorter barrel.

Loler UK

Blaser R93, fired less than 100 shots, choice of stock nice wood or functional synthetic if preferred

JH83

In the last year I have heard the opinion of 2 well known rifle builders on Bergara with regards to build quality and materials and both were absolutely scathing about them. That was my initial thoughts-that they’re a ‘lot of rifle’ for the money..where the catch?

The other rifles you mention are incontestably better built, but old, so make sure you have access to a bore scope to make sure you are not buying a rebarreling project only.

6.5x55 certainly benefits from a few more inches (stop giggling at the back) and a competent re-loaders attentions. With 26” custom barrel and the aforementioned reloader my swede nips at the heels of 6.5x284/PRC without pressure signs…just as a demonstration of what CAN be done with the old girl.

Sako75Hunter

Good Evening All,

I am just looking at getting a new or used 6.5x55,

Looking at a bergara b14 for new and Sako 75/85 and Tikka 690 for used,

Just wanted your thoughts whether to go for the slightly shorter barreled finnish rifles or the rem based bergara with its 24" barrel,

Shot several roe with a sako 75 estates rifle a few years back, never used a remmy based rifle in the field before.

All advice appreciated

I have a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 and wouldn't swap it for any other stalking rifle, new or used.

I'll rebarrel it if needs be, in the same calibre (but definitely not with a Bergara barrel, based on JH83's comments above!); it's my rifle for life.

NickJ

Tikka if you want to add anything 'aftermarket' otherwise I'd go for the Sako (I have had a 75 and have two 85s.)

I'd avoid Bergara from what I have heard from two riflesmiths.

Reactions: JTO