Original LÖWE Jagdschere Hunting Scissors

BP75

16BA96D0-491B-4F24-A669-3BCEFF6944BD.jpeg
Some time ago, @Freeforester took a film crew out Roe stalking and then they spent some time in the larder and used a set of game shears removing ribs which looked really handy and a lot less faff than a bone saw.
I got in touch with him and he recommended me a set of these which he reckoned were far better than a different kind used in the film.
I took the plunge and ordered a pair from Amazon.
These are fantastic and if you are butchering a decent number of carcasses they really help speed up the process, are very user friendly and very well made.
Highly recommend.

willie_gunn

Thanks for this.

I’ve looked at them before, and almost taken the plunge, but to be honest struggled to think of a use for them other than splitting the sternum, where I tend to use a breast saw if the knife doesn’t do the job.

How are you using them, and where do you see the advantage?

BP75

I use them for removing the ribs which gives you a really nice stable saddle/loin to work on.

I tend to only split the pelvis when I’m butchering the carcass and have been using them for that too.

They work well on the sternum but I have been tending to opt for a suspended gralloch if I can and more often than not just do that with my knife in the field.

The advantage they offer is easy cleaning and speed.

willie_gunn

I use them for removing the ribs which gives you a really nice stable saddle/loin to work on.

I tend to only split the pelvis when I’m butchering the carcass and have been using them for that too.

They work well on the sternum but I have been tending to opt for a suspended gralloch if I can and more often than not just do that with my knife in the field.

The advantage they offer is easy cleaning and speed.
Excellent summary, thank you. :tiphat:

I’ve only ever removed the ribs with a cleaver, after I’ve taken off both back straps using a boning knife, and that only because it’s the way I was taught, but I can see the benefits of the way you describe.

I’m only ever breaking carcasses up into primary cuts, but I can see for chops, crown roasts, etc they would work really well.