Outlet for rabbits?

snake_2586

Don't know if you would want to do it but I have always thought rabbit sausages might be a good one to try, just strip the meat from the back legs and saddle mince add some belly pork and season accordingly. It is on my to do list if I ever get enough to make it worth the effort.

Cottis

Don't know if you would want to do it but I have always thought rabbit sausages might be a good one to try, just strip the meat from the back legs and saddle mince add some belly pork and season accordingly. It is on my to do list if I ever get enough to make it worth the effort.
Quantity is certainly not an issue for me. I just cannot get close to eating as many rabbits as I anticipate shooting over the next few weeks but rabbit sausages do sound good.

Someone suggested mincing them whole for raw dog feed and certainly there appears to be a market for it but it is regulated and cannot be done in your kitchen. Certain accreditations are needed and I just don't have the time to be faffing with that. Got various other interests, hobbies and responsibilities. I also eat venison and pigeon (which are better) so there is limited capacity in terms of my own consumption.

I will try and give away as many as poss to the local villagers and see if the farm wants to move over to raw feed. I know the feral cats will have a few but we don't want them too well fed or they will lose interest in their own pest control duties.

I have sent a good few emails out to various places today to see if anyone can use them but thus far, not heard back. Fingers crossed.

Delwint

I recently made rabbit sausages and they were spot on. Used a Lebanese spice mix from Weschenfelder. I’ll make some more using different spices when I’ve finished eating these. Very easy to do

unicorn71

I have sold all of mine to the show ferret fraternity , local to me there are 2-3 guys with 20+ ferrets each that have plenty of awards but have never seen a rabbit warren , they take 30-40 per week in winter and any hares , in summer they reduce numbers slightly.

Cottis

I have sold all of mine to the show ferret fraternity , local to me there are 2-3 guys with 20+ ferrets each that have plenty of awards but have never seen a rabbit warren , they take 30-40 per week in winter and any hares , in summer they reduce numbers slightly.
Interesting. That is an outlet I did not consider as I just assumed, wrongly it would seem, that ferret owners would not be short of food for their animals. I didn't even realise people paraded ferrets ha ha.

I will have a look for some forums and see what is what. Thanks for that

philip

Local zoos take them

I'm partial to one or two also

Don't let em go to waste, I don't look for or get the very high numbers now, all of mine apart from the body shot ones I use for teckel food they love a bit of rabbit slow cooked, falls of the bone

TomT3

As stated ferret welfare trusts will certainly accept more free food or happily even accept the cost of postage I know somebody in Essex who would take some , I’d take at least 20 or so a time for my 4 and a few for me if you was closer!

bobt

I used to have an old lad in the village who would take 30 or more at a time,
he distributed them around all the old folk in the village,
in return my wife got veg from his allotment, and cakes from the old dears.
better than wasting them.

Limpet

Cottis, I think you are quite local to me. Have you tried the bird of prey folk ? They will be very lead sensitive but sounds like you have that covered with head shots only.

Cottis

Cottis, I think you are quite local to me. Have you tried the bird of prey folk ? They will be very lead sensitive but sounds like you have that covered with head shots only.
Cheers for the thought. There are a couple around here. They are next on my list to email.

I think commercial place I used to sell rabbits to supplied in to raptor centres. Maybe cutting out the middle man would be a good idea.

I have also put some feelers out for large snake/reptile owners and some dog owners who might want to supplement diet with minced bunny.

Spix

There's a working dog breeder for Schutzhund / IPG not so far from you. Years ago they had a keen interest in feeding raw and may still have a need.

Sent you a PM.

Regards, S.

Archer

But how much time, effort and money do you want to put into disposal?
I got weary of the, can you keep/drop them off/will they be skinned/jointed/bagged etc
Now I keep back a few that I don't eat and pass them on to a small group who appreciate the gift.
The rest go to the council landfill.

paul dillon

Hi Cottis,

Try Honey Brook Farm animals feeds they sell direct to Falconer's and Austringer's only criteria maybe head shot with .22 also supply to reptile owners they are from Evesham way

Disco_Richy

Try Honey Brook Farm animals feeds they sell direct to Falconer's and Austringer's only criteria maybe head shot with .22 also supply to reptile owners they are from Evesham way
Stacked with bunnies last week, said to give them a shout in a few months ;s

25 Sharps

Try and get yourself a few contacts, it’s worth the effort as there’s a few quid in it, I have a couple of raw dog feeders and snake enthusiast.
Everything I shoot is sold on, tenner for a fox, fiver for a hare, 2quid for a whole rabbit.
I bought a small chest freezer for £20 and it holds 30 rabbits at a push, when it’s full I make a phone call and jobs a good un.
You would be amazed how many dogs have allergies and their owners will only feed raw food.
Have to ask, what does the buyer do with the foxes??