P-H trigger.

VSS

Since August, when I bought my 270, I haven't fired my 243, simply on account of having taken the scope off the one to use it on the other. Today I put another scope on the 243 and took both rifles out to my zeroing range (aka the boggy patch at the end of the garden). First time I'd compared the two side by side. Same make, same model. Another SD member who fired the 270 a few months back commented on what a nice trigger it has. I don't know about that, but I do now know that by comparison the 243 trigger is awful! It came as quite a shock, having now got so used to the 270. It doesn't quite require a two handed effort, but you get the idea!
My question is, is the P-H trigger adjustable for weight of pull in any way, and if so is this something that I can do myself? Or is it possible that there's actually something wrong with it?

alberta boy

They are very easy to adjust yourself . Take a look online , there are quite a few DIY videos . If I remember correctly , there is a thread on here about it .

AB

Highlandsjohn

Vss, Although AB is correct the very fact you asked the question would give me reason to pause. The adjustment on older guns may not just be pull but require a fettle and then a bump test,with the scope off. I would take it to a smith who will set it safely and maybe show you while he does it.
I shoot old Brno's as you know (like AB) they are not always straightforward. Good luck anywayI just love the old guns.john.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Easy to adjust and shouldn't be a problem if you take reasonable care and test it fully (bump and slam test etc.) before you live fire it. But first of all before adjusting anything take the trigger off and give it a good clean in petrol or some other spirit just in case some fool has tried "oiling" it with WD40 and gummed it all up.

VSS

Thanks for all the replies gents.
I'm confident enough to make the adjustment myself, just needed instructions as to how!
I'd like to match it to the 270 if poss. My main reason for having two identical rifles is that all the muscle memories remain the same when switching from one to the other - same safety catch, same bolt cycle, same loading procedure, same weight etc etc. No need to relearn. The difference between the two triggers threw me out a bit!

PKL

Learn the screws and what they do, also, polishing the sears helps tremendously!

Lock the bolt in the action, turn adjustment screw out until sears trip, turn clockwise/fasten quarter turn, lock them up. Slam fire and bump test and you are good most of the time..

Now, one SHOULD have a lot more sear engagement (there’s a rule to this in the Mauser workshop manual of course), but you will never get the trigger to have a ‘safe’ (lawyer ‘safe’) sear engagement, and a clean crisp break... experiment and you’ll figure it out, just test it and test it again, even really fast and slamming that bolt before trusting it with live ammo

alberta boy

Vss, Although AB is correct the very fact you asked the question would give me reason to pause. The adjustment on older guns may not just be pull but require a fettle and then a bump test,with the scope off. I would take it to a smith who will set it safely and maybe show you while he does it.
I shoot old Brno's as you know (like AB) they are not always straightforward. Good luck anywayI just love the old guns.john.
Good advise , make sure the trigger is functioning properly . While they are good triggers , I've seen a few that had cracked housings , sometimes the pot metal just lets go , rarely , but it does happen . The only reason it came to the owners attention was that the trigger felt heavy , give it a good looking over . Better safe as they say .

AB

VSS

Crudely measured using a spring balance, the current weights of pull are 2 lbs for the 270, and 3.25 lbs for the 243. I tested each one several times, and the results were consistent. Presumably I can adjust the 243 little by little, keep on re-testing it with the spring balance after each adjustment, until I get it down to somewhere near 2 lbs, and then rigorously do bump and slam-fire tests?

PKL

Yep, you’ll want to set the creep and over travel to match as well. In fact,
May be an opportunity to overhaul
Both triggers

I set my last PH trigger at 1.25lb with zero creep, it was very nice; I also mirror polished the sear

VSS

Just been fettling it this afternoon.
Both rifles now at 2lb.
243 feels a lot better like that.
Done plenty of bumps and slams.
Probably go and test fire after having a cuppa.
Thanks for all advice, and in particular the diagrams.