Paid days

mack

Hi guys
Is anyone offering paid days for boar? Also do you need boar to be entered on your ticket to be able to hunt them?

Andy L

Hi Mack,
I remember seeing someone advertising Boar hunting on ebay a while ago. I think the days/evenings were selling for £250 or £300 ish.
Yes, I believe you do need them entered on to your licence and I also believe the minimum recommended calibre is .270 but I am probably wrong.
Cheers
Andy

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
No you are not wrong Andy. You must have it entered on your ticket, and although officially there is not bench mark for calibre (I think :rolleyes: ) the advice from the home office is 270 calibre and upwards.

What I would add is steer clear of any advert for taking Wild Boar at Carminnows Estate in Scotland. It is a canned hunt.

stone

sikamalc said:
What I would add is steer clear of any advert for taking Wild Boar at Carminnows Estate in Scotland. It is a canned hunt.
i once booked a weekend at carminnows for wild boar and possibly a chance at a bison cow so with the booking confirmed i told my FLO, my FLO would not put the relevant authorites on my ticket and warned me against going on this trip as this paticular eatate were not looked on favourably as they did these so called canned hunts and this was over 10 years ago. i am surprised they are still doing this

baisicaly grant
when you go for your days stalking the estate would that morning release the particular animal in question into a large enclosure so it would guarantee to find that animal for you to shoot and it would not be wild enough to run away, so offering a easy stalk and shot
stone

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Hi Grant. Its an American term "Canned Hunt". Basically you are lead to believe as a hunting client that you are hunting something fair chase outside of any enclosure or fenced area, when you are not!!!

But on a "Canned Hunt" that is what you get. A hunt on a fenced area, where the animals are fed, sometimes out of a bucket, and then you are taken round and they try to kid you its a wild free range Deer or Wild Boar. You will be suprised how many people get caught out like this, although its becoming less common these days.

Taking out exotic trophies such as Pere David or Hog Deer is undertaken on large deer parks, and although not everyones cup of tea, it is a task that has to be done. These are not in my book "Canned Hunts" as people know what to expect, and you could only take one of these species in a Deer Park

Sometime back they were even selling "Canned Hunts" in South Africa, taking zoo Lions and releasing them about 30 minutes before the hunter came round to shot it, and in some instances drugging it so it did not move. It is very rare to hear of this in Africa these days, PHASA has worked hard to erradicate these arsehole operators. And of course all true hunters/stalkers would never have anything to do with these people or would want to be associated with them.

sp4rkman

The canned hunting situation became very public in South Africa (and globally) a few years ago when an undercover (BBC i think) journalist was offered a obviously drugged lion in a very small enclosure to shoot. This lion was drugged so it kept still and released into a small pen so it couldn't escape. Where is the skill and fun in that.

Big game hunting is big business and a paying client doesnt usually want to go home empty handed. This means managers do whatever takes to get the client what they want (and for them to get their money). This obviously means resorting to unethical means. These people should not be allowed anywhere near our sport.

Isn't the thrill of the stalk the best part? I'd rather go home empty handed that resort to these tactics.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I have to say that as a rule these canned hunts in South Africa were mostly for Lion, although other species were involved. It was bought to the general publics attention by a journalits whos name escapes me for the moment, but he was an english guy.

Similar events have happened with Leopard, including placing Leopards that have been shot cattle raiding and then frozen in deep freeze, only for the client to shoot it out of the tree. Believe me this HAS happened.

Having hunted Africa a few times and conducted trips out there I have built up a good many professional contacts, and get to hear about these stories quite a bit. BUT this was mostly back in the late 1980's early 1990's, and as I have siad before PHASA have nailed most of these bastards into the floor and it is rare that you hear of these events now.

The estate in question was I believe advertsing Wild Boar hunts last year, they have a new manager I believe, this comes from a very reliable source of mine :rolleyes: my advice keep well clear.

G

Grantoliver

Surely this is common, particularly in france where I believe a great deal of wild boar shooting takes place in enclosed land. I dont like it at all and would rather not get involved. My assumption is the greater the demand for hunting, the more it will happen.

Grant

sp4rkman

sikamalc said:
I have to say that as a rule these canned hunts in South Africa were mostly for Lion, although other species were involved. It was bought to the general publics attention by a journalits whos name escapes me for the moment, but he was an english guy.

Similar events have happened with Leopard, including placing Leopards that have been shot cattle raiding and then frozen in deep freeze, only for the client to shoot it out of the tree. Believe me this HAS happened.

Having hunted Africa a few times and conducted trips out there I have built up a good many professional contacts, and get to hear about these stories quite a bit. BUT this was mostly back in the late 1980's early 1990's, and as I have siad before PHASA have nailed most of these bastards into the floor and it is rare that you hear of these events now.

The estate in question was I believe advertsing Wild Boar hunts last year, they have a new manager I believe, this comes from a very reliable source of mine :rolleyes: my advice keep well clear.
PHASA have done a great job in ridding the market of these guys but their are a still few of them out there. It's become quite popular with Nyala these days as their demand (and cost) has skyrocketed in the past few years. I heard of a guy who bought a fantastic specimen at the annual KZN Wildlife auction (paid a fortune for it), had it delivered and promptly killed it for his trophy room. He just wanted the best he could find.

Sikamalc - i'm originally from South Africa - glad to hear you've been out there a few times and enjoyed our hunting.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I cannot comment on Boar Hunting in France. Although I will add that I have an aquantance in the south of France and it is all fair chase to my knowledge. There are some very large estates that offer sport hunting in France, and thet may possibly be what you are thinking of, but again I am only guessing.

Fenced hunting is not something that most people would enjoy, me being one of them. And it fair to say there are some hunters :rolleyes: who have pots of loot and want to shoot the biggest one everytime. I have had a few over the years contact me, and straight away they ask can they shoot a 12 point Red Stag in Scotland.

I tell them all " I sell hunting experiances, not killing experiances" therefore I am not the person you need. Most are overweight, over gunned, and over here :lol:

For my money Finnish people are some of the best hunters/stalkers I have met and taken out. And I have two groups again this year, so I am looking forward to it.

Psssst only trouble is they are all younger than me :cry:

legaleagle69

My neighbours has some old beef cows wandering around the wood maybe they would make a lovely trophy over the fire place ..lol lots

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Sp4arkman I have no doubt that there are one or two unscrupulous individuals still lurking in SA. Nyala are one of the most sort after of the spiral horned antelopes, along with Bongo and Mountain Nyala (ouch lots of loot for hunting one of those).

I took a huge bull Nyala after 6 days of hunting and also seeing a good number but mostly young bulls. I shot it across a river not that far from Pongola in Qua Zulu Natal in 1996. The property was a converted cattle ranch unfenced and had been turned into an enormous hunting and wildlife conservation area.

It was in late April, and it was very overcast skys, and we hunted some very thick bush, after about a 3 hours on foot we came across 2 cows feeding on the otherside of a river, and the Bull was feeding in a reedbed. I took him with a TIKKA 270 (please note all you Tikka and 270 fans :lol: ) 150grain nosler.

It was the second largest bull recorded in the area at the time. A most memorable hunt with some good friends and my long standing PH friend Mark Dewhet.

Happy days :D

sp4rkman

Sikamalc, you were hunting in my backyard! I'm from Qwa-zulu Natal and have hunted extensively in the zululand (Pongola) area.

I went looking for a nyala bull last year and came across many immature bulls but nothing to write home about. instead i came across a monster kudu and decided to take him instead. He had one broken horn but the whole hunt was so memorable that i just had to. The shoulder mount is sitting on my mom's wall in our family home in South Africa.

On another hunt my best mate and i spent a day climbing up and down a huge mountain looking for a decent mountain reedbuck. After a 10m walk and one hell of a sunburn i finally got him. i even carried him down the mountain on my back for 3m back to the farm house. My most memorable hunt ever!

I'm going back out to SA in May to try for a nyala again. Fingers crossed!

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Hey its a small world out there thats for sure. Qua Zulu Natal is also the place another friend of mine whom I have known since he got his PH some 20 years ago, was nailed by a Mamba.

He was sitting in a Leopard blind, the Mamba took him in the calf through the blind, luckily he did not get the full whack of venom, but he was in a comma for 3 days, and nearly lost his leg. He runs a company called Royal Sable Safaris. At the time he was one of several PH's working for Hunters and Guides out of Petermariatzberg. That was in 1994, two years before the Nyala hunt with him and Mark DeWhet.

That same year I also took a nice mountain Reedbuck and a Blesbuck in the Midlands. Did Zim a few years back for Buff and also took a rogue cow Elelphant, last time I was there was about 3 years back in the Cape. The most civilised part of Africa I have ever visited, bloody good wine though, and sooooo cheap :lol:

Which part of the UK are you in ? Hope you can make the Museum visit in May, you will be right at home there.

sp4rkman

It is a small world indeed. My best friend and hunting partner (in SA) worked for Hunters and guides for a few years!

Those mamba's are dangerous things and your friend was lucky to survive that ordeal.

Whereabouts in the Midlands did you hunt? i know the area well as friends own a farm there.

WOuld love to try for a buff and elephant but funds wont allow it at this stage unfortunately.

I'm in Hampshire (Fleet to be precise). Not heard about the Museum visit - when/where is it?

stone

hi sp4rkman
look in general dissucsion under 'stalking directory quex museum tour may 2008' it will be a cracking trip with quite a few members attending aswell as a 100 bird clay shoot on the sat before hand but remember lads send your deposits off , malc you will hav to set up a different post for all your african adventures as i would like to hear of them espescialy the buff
well actualy it would not matter if you told them all

G

Grantoliver

If its ok with you richard I am not sure I want to hear malc talk about his experiences in the buff. :lol:

Grant

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Now I am over 50, it pays to check in the morning that everything is still the same from the day before when you get out of bed :eek:

I cant remember the name of the place in the midlands, but the guy who owned it was mad keen on Trout fishing and was from Scotland, quite a short guy with a beard. But this was in 1996, and I have not been back to that part since. I do remember seeing the biggest Val Rheebuck on gods living planet, but it was gone in a heart beat.

I eventually took a reasonable Valie in 2003 in the Cape, now that can be long range shooting on those beasts, they have fantastic eyesight. Why is it that everything on four legs can run faster up hill than we can :rolleyes:

I also took a very nice Black Wildebeest, and a nice and even representative head of a Cape Bushbuck. I took 3 other english guys on that hunt, and we stayed in a brand new tree house, which nearly caught alight, we got back just in time before the ceiling caught fire as the flame from the wood stove were licking up the walls. They had put no insulation around the smoke stack, and the heat from the stove had caught the ceiling on fire :eek:

We then flew up to Kimberely, and drove 400ks into the southern Khalahari, went through a town called HOTAZEL, well not a town it was 5 tin shacks in the middle of no where, ahhh memories.