Panorama "Legal Weapon" Monday 20th August

My TV licence direct debit is on the verge of being cancelled. Its a shame that the great work of the likes of David Attenbrough, and great drama and comedy, is more and more accompanied by blatantly biased garbage.

I know no more than the link you've given, BUT if the story is true, it is neither biased, or sensationalising the situation !

And, we are far better off having them sort this out, than blame innocent FAC holders taking the blame for everything !

I agree entirely

Obviously the soft sentences handed out to career criminals for the unlawful possession and use of firearms are failing to act as a deterrent!

I know no more than the link you've given, BUT if the story is true, it is neither biased, or sensationalising the situation !

And, we are far better off having them sort this out, than blame innocent FAC holders taking the blame for everything !

this looks like they have found ways that criminals exploit the system, if so lets get all the information to the proper authorities and get them to take the appropriate action, this looks like it is aimed against those that want to make money from illegal activities, and that gets my support every time, as with 99.9% of the shooting comunity, we want everyone to abide by the law,,, but we are the only ones who stick by and support the law ,
the criminals dont care , so making it illegal wont make it go away,,, try using the laws we already have and sending the guilty scum to prison for a long long time,,, we dont need new laws we need a govt and judiciary that will enforce the laws we already have
Ray

It was always going to be a problem allowing zero controls on older cartridge firearms, especially when some cartridges like the .44 S&W Russian are quite easily available in the US and fairly straightforward to produce here. Similarly the French Ordnance revolvers, with ammunition available across the channel.

The danger is that we lose the antique firearms provisions, but if we're not careful we could lose reloading as well.

The ideal solution would be to treat the obsolete antique stuff as we do shotguns, namely approve the owner but not get too exercised about how many they have and which calibres they're in. We used to handle firearms that way before the 1968 Act.

It was always going to be a problem allowing zero controls on older cartridge firearms, especially when some cartridges like the .44 S&W Russian are quite easily available in the US and fairly straightforward to produce here. Similarly the French Ordnance revolvers, with ammunition available across the channel.

The danger is that we lose the antique firearms provisions, but if we're not careful we could lose reloading as well.

The ideal solution would be to treat the obsolete antique stuff as we do shotguns, namely approve the owner but not get too exercised about how many they have and which calibres they're in. We used to handle firearms that way before the 1968 Act.
That seems pretty sensible to me. Especially since the law abiding shooters seem to be a soft (and pointless) target whenever the ‘threat’ of firearms reaches the public consciousness. I’m surprised to learn that antique calibers can be kept in an non de-activated state.

chip,chip,chip, after-disarmed-politicians.jpg

IMHO these things, the handguns, should never have come off s1 control at all. The placing of handguns in the "obsolete weapon" legislation...s58...was pretty much introduced to save the Government money, and face, after the ill thought handgun ban introduced by John Major and Michael Howard. To save money as these things wouldn't have to be paid for and to save face in that a whole raft of old "antiques" wouldn't be sent for scrap.

And also because when the centenary of the Rollin White Patent arrived in 1973 (the Smith & Wesson patent that until 1873 gave them a monopoly on the manufacture of bored through breechloading cylinder revolvers) all of a sudden we'd arrived at the beginning of the period when ne hundred year old centrefire revolvers started to become a fact of life. The Colt 1873 Model being the most notable "antique" that still was classed as s1.

Regarding reloading being prohibited it is, of course, and has been illegal to sell primers to the general public unless they produce a FAC or SGC for now quite some time. So it does beg the question as to where these criminal ammunition makers are obtaining their primers from. Hmm. I wonder of there will be someone from BASC making any sort of statement? Re France. Cartridges for the 11mm French Revolver were always controlled ammunition there as was also the law with the empty cases as it was of course ammunition capable of being used in a military calibre weapon.

Last edited:
Must be fake news - Everyone knows criminals cant get guns because of all the gun laws, its all the law abiding shooters who are the problem! :stir: :doh:

"Under current legislation it is legal to buy and sell guns provided commercially manufactured ammunition is no longer available."

284W ???

As an enthousiast hunter and firearms user I would support the possession of military grade and military style (such as .22LR's made to look like an assault rifle) becoming illegal. I will watch the program with interest and look forward very much to an intelligent debate on the forums on Tuesday!

As an enthousiast hunter and firearms user I would support the possession of military grade and military style (such as .22LR's made to look like an assault rifle) becoming illegal. I will watch the program with interest and look forward very much to an intelligent debate on the forums on Tuesday!

How do you define 'military grade' ?

I disagree, my £100 Anschutz 22semi auto is just as dangerous as an Ar15 lookalike 22 auto. No difference. What it says about the guy who wants to own a ‘tacticool’ gun is a different debate..

As an enthusiast hunter and firearms user I would support the possession of military grade and military style (such as .22LR's made to look like an assault rifle) becoming illegal. I will watch the program with interest and look forward very much to an intelligent debate on the forums on Tuesday!

am i missing a tongue in cheek sentiment?
I hope so

How would you feel if the "military style" (whatever that is) .22lr users took exception to your particular flavour of hunting and petitioned to have deer management under government control?

Frankly it doesnt matter if its an antique, deac, AK47 22lr, pistol, shotgun, 3d printed gun.....
if its legal it falls under legally held firearms.

Supporting the banning of one element of that class because it doesn't appeal to you is like chopping off one toe as you don't feel it is as useful as the others.!!!!

50 cals on the way
be 408/338s next
any semi auto firearm
any pistols at all
antiques
airsoft looky likey

it will keep coming as popular culture reacts to sensationalist media

Why not just ban everything that's of a type that Erik H doesn't personally own? After all if it's not something he needs and uses then why should anyone else have any reason to need or use such a thing.

Heck! Let's ban everything I, Enfieldspares, or my friends, don't own or use. So that's ban anything with a black synthetic stock, and/or detachable magazine and/or a 'scope of more that 9x or 36mm or 42mm exit lens, and/or a moderator, and/or a bipod. Ban all of them.

It' s well known anything possesing any of those is merely a quasi "urban sniper" weapon belonging only in military or police armouries and never the gun cabinets of stalkers.

Mil-Dot reticules, illuminated reticules should be banned too. Military and police equipment they are. Nobody else needs them...if you want to shoot with such things join the Army!

Gammon, gammon, gammon... and on and on it goes... Cammo trousers... Thermal imagers... Yes. Ban them all if you, Erik H, don't use them.

Guess what Erik H? There's also people who don't own what you do. And they maybe have a similar attitude that as they don't need it then you don't either.

Enjoy what you do. But leave others to enjoy what they do. Those that only use factory ammunition do they have a valid argument to ban handloading equipment?

Throwing fellow legitimate and lawful gun owners under the bus of your own "political correctness" won't save your shooting. It will just make it more exposed to those who would ban all ownership of any guns.

Last edited:

a very foolish route if you think about it. remington-model-700-what-a-nice-hunting-rifle-um-black-31766751.png

Back