Parker Hale Sound Moderator not unscrewing?

Look carefully at the end of the moderator about an inch from the barrel. If there’s a line with three iirc punch marks. The tube has come adrift from the threaded part. The punch marks are what stop it turning.
I have two options for you.
First get a punch a fairly sharp one and put the mod on a wooden block and make the dints a bit bigger.
Or you need to get some grips on the short section nearest the muzzle.

You were dead right it had not been pinned in place hence the rotating. I will get it punched in place to secure it properly. Thanks for your help.

if you read my post you would realise Ive never unscrewed it and wouldn't! I have stated this before I did what the gunsmith advised at the time, the mod was fitted with Loctite, its never moved.
Its a strange statement from a gunsmith

if you read my post you would realise Ive never unscrewed it and wouldn't! I have stated this before I did what the gunsmith advised at the time, the mod was fitted with Loctite, its never moved.

I really can't see why anybody would loctite a moderator. Goes against everything practical about keeping the crown clean and corosion free.

David.

I had my first mod fitted in derby, second in nots and third inverness, all were screwed on with locktite, so nothing strange about it. the reasoning was it stopped them moving and point of aim etc. we are talking about .22 lr not full bore that cause serious crown damage if left in place. incidentally one of my rifles 22lr is not threaded at all and the mod is spliced onto the barrel with heat.

your thinking full bore and not .22lr. i dont know what people do now but 40 years ago they were often permanently fixed.
Sorry but I was thinking about both, I know 22 rounds aren't in themselves terribly corrosive but the muck gathering on the crown inside a locked on moderator is just going to hold moisture there and cause corrosion.

David.

I had my first mod fitted in derby, second in nots and third inverness, all were screwed on with locktite, so nothing strange about it. the reasoning was it stopped them moving and point of aim etc. we are talking about .22 lr not full bore that cause serious crown damage if left in place. incidentally one of my rifles 22lr is not threaded at all and the mod is spliced onto the barrel with heat.
Each to their own, but id like to be able to remove it for cleaning

Sorry but I was thinking about both, I know 22 rounds aren't in themselves terribly corrosive but the muck gathering on the crown inside a locked on moderator is just going to hold moisture there and cause corrosion.

David.
As i said 4o years of constant use, no corrosion and still as accurate as ever. If you wanted to clean, unscrew end cap, slide out baffles to clean, put everything back. i think ive done that twice!

As i said 4o years of constant use, no corrosion and still as accurate as ever. If you wanted to clean, unscrew end cap, slide out baffles to clean, put everything back. i think ive done that twice!

Trying to clean one at the moment that has loads of coke on the baffles. What do you use?

Perfect thanks, been in petrol since yesterday bud will try WD and Carbon Cleaner.👍🏻
Diesel is better than petrol. But a decent rifle Carbon cleaner will work. WD40 will shift carbon too but if it is really clogged up I have found scrapping the majority off first is the quickest way to get it done.

Ali one ? The threads have plainly gauled up . Try hot air gun fastening the barrel firm in a vice with safe jaws pulling on the moderator seeing if you can jump the thread
I would only give it a quick go than I would carefully open the thing up fron the side

Ali one ? The threads have plainly gauled up . Try hot air gun fastening the barrel firm in a vice with safe jaws pulling on the moderator seeing if you can jump the thread
I would only give it a quick go than I would carefully open the thing up fron the side

No already established it’s the steel one and the tube is turning on the threaded part. He’s removed it.

Back