- 2 cloves of garlic
- very generous splash of Port
- 300 grams of softened butter
- 100ml double cream
- salt and pepper
- 3 springs of fresh thyme

Method

1. Gentle fry the Shallots and garlic until soft and tender
2. Fry the cubed liver until cooked through but still pink in the middle, with the thyme, salt and pepper.
3. Add the port and double cream and gently cook for a minute or two.
4. Put it all in a food processor, along with the softened butter and blend.
5. Once smooth pour out into ramekins and melt a little butter over the top to seal them.
6. Put them in the fridge for a few hours to set and then eat.

This is how my Mum makes it:

8 oz liver,
4 oz butter (and some extra for frying and to seal the pots),
1 medium onion, finely chopped,
1 clove of garlic finely chopped,
chopped rosemary and thyme,
seasoning,
1 tbsp brandy.

Cut the liver into small pieces (making sure you remove any stringy bits) and place in a little melted butter in a large pan on a low heat until it begins to fry gently. Add the onions, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, and cook for about 10 minutes (until all the liver is well browned) then cover the pan and leave to bubble away for a further 10 minutes or so. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool completely, then tip the contents into a food processor, add the butter and brandy, and run the processor until the pate is nice and smooth. Spoon into small dishes (ramekins are ideal for this) within 5mm of the top, then pour over melted butter to seal.

A terrine, rather than pate.

I had some, but not a lot, of venison liver. There was not enough to make pate, so I decided to bulk it out with some other ingredients, and make a terrine, instead.

So, in the pic, we have,clockwise, from the top:

Sloe whiskey (homemade)
Crushed juniper berries & nutmeg
Chopped onion
Stu Mitchel knife
Fresh Thyme (from the garden), finely chopped
Beechwood smoked lardons
Roe venison liver
Finely chopped pork belly
The livers from two partridge and a mallard(also to be finely chopped)
A clove of smoked garlic
Black pepper and sea salt

Now, a pack of cherry wood smoked pancetta

I used the back edge of my knife to flatten, and stretch, each rasher.

I then used them to line the dish in which I am going to cook the terrine.

All of the ingredients were then well mixed together.

Put into the dish.

And the pancetta rashers folded over to cover the top.

Covered with foil, and placed in my, improvised, Bain Marie pan, which was then part filled with boiling water.

The pan was then put in a pre-heated oven (175 deg.C) for an hour and a half, until cooked through.

Drain off most of the fat. Make a lid with foil covered cardboard, and place some weight on top.

It was left to cool overnight, then refridgerated for another day, before turning it out of the dish.

It looks OK.

I had to try it.

Good enough to eat, I assure you.

Steve.

I've done this a few times and it's lovely!!

Stratts

[h=2]PIGEON PATE[/h] Serves 12

• Butter to fry with
  • 10 pigeon breasts
  • 12 fresh sage leaves, chopped
  • 200g (7oz) chicken livers
  • A splash of sherry vinegar
  • 1 tbsp cognac
  • Salt and pepper
  • 200g (7oz) melted butter
  • 100ml (4fl oz) double cream
  • Melted butter for topping

Heat the butter in a pan until it foams. Throw in the pigeon breasts with the sage, allowing them to cook gently for about two minutes per side, then take them out to rest. Place the chicken livers in the pan and cook for three minutes, adding more butter if necessary.

Now pour the sherry vinegar and cognac into the pan. Season. Chop the pigeon breasts up a little and pour the lot into a food processor. Whizz until the pigeon pate mix is really fine, then add the melted butter in a steady stream (if it looks like it is going to split, stop).

Now pour in the cream and stop whizzing. Taste for seasoning and pour into a serving dish. Cover with more melted butter and chill for a day. Serve the piegon pate with toast and home-made piccalilli.

I've done this a few times and it's lovely!!

Stratts

PIGEON PATE

Serves 12

• Butter to fry with
  • 10 pigeon breasts
  • 12 fresh sage leaves, chopped
  • 200g (7oz) chicken livers
  • A splash of sherry vinegar
  • 1 tbsp cognac
  • Salt and pepper
  • 200g (7oz) melted butter
  • 100ml (4fl oz) double cream
  • Melted butter for topping

Heat the butter in a pan until it foams. Throw in the pigeon breasts with the sage, allowing them to cook gently for about two minutes per side, then take them out to rest. Place the chicken livers in the pan and cook for three minutes, adding more butter if necessary.

Now pour the sherry vinegar and cognac into the pan. Season. Chop the pigeon breasts up a little and pour the lot into a food processor. Whizz until the pigeon pate mix is really fine, then add the melted butter in a steady stream (if it looks like it is going to split, stop).

Now pour in the cream and stop whizzing. Taste for seasoning and pour into a serving dish. Cover with more melted butter and chill for a day. Serve the piegon pate with toast and home-made piccalilli.

Im guessing the pigeon could be substituted for pheasant? Any idea how long it would last for?

I used a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe with some venison liver, and it turned out pretty good. A chunky, rustic texture as I recall.

I made 2 just before xmas using recipes on here by a dr 1 smooth 1 coarse. I was a little short on venison liver so bulked it out using turkey liver both were really good

Im guessing the pigeon could be substituted for pheasant? Any idea how long it would last for?
When the top is sealed with butter and kept in the fridge I`ve kept it for a week.
Once the butter seal is broken it only lasts about 2 or 3 days before it`s gone.

Back