Patty/burger makers and molds

Turkish

Now that the BBQ season is upon us, I was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to share your your experience of burger making. Tools, recipes, mixes and seasonings, anything goes.

Looking forward to sampling some of the results already.

I'll start with a recommendation for a meat grinder. I have used the Andrew James meat grinder (MG 180A)for the best part of 5 years now. 1800watts, 3 plates and tools for kofta and sausage making. I have used it on a regular basis for mincing and making sausages and koftas. Easy to clean and not bad to use. Bit noisy now, but for the price - I think I gave 40 quid for it on special offer at the time - a good work tool. Mine is the older model ( white casing) as I see that there are now lower wattage black models available.

If you look on't interweb, you can still get my model.

BigPat

Good topic....I seem to remember that one of our trade members was selling some seasoning mix packs. I tried them at a mates bbq and they were really good!

Plus without hijacking the thread.........a good burger/sausage recipe that doesn’t include the use of pork or beef products would be amazing!

Last edited:

SDC7x57

Have a look at Weschenfelder and Tongmaster for all-in-one mixes and also spices. Getting the burgers/bangers to work well without some additional fat is a bit challenging. Our roe up here rarely carry much fat, but you can use other binders to keep your burgers together.

We're the same as you - we use a 1500W heavy domestic by Kenwood and it does fine. Like yours, it's getting noisier with time, but it's still hanging in there. One tip from the food technologist brother in law......chill the meat to be minced right down close to freezing before you mince it, then it minces well with less 'smearing' of the meat.

Sharpie

Ready mixes can be good. But I prefer to do it with ordinary ingredients, chopped onion, garlic, tomato, chilli, apple, herbs, spices. Breadcrumbs made from sliced stale loaves, or toast, dried in a low oven.

Some egg makes a good binder. If the meat is very lean, some olive oil. Or of course pork belly.

Before finalising the recipe make a few small meatballs, fry them up and test. It's easy to over-do the seasoning. Nowadays I prefer to mostly taste the meat.

I also like like making sausages, which is a two-person job if done on the mincer, rather than with a sausage stuffer. We use a Kenwood Chef which has variable speed, I think a fixed speed mincer could be more difficult to control. My butcher gives me the skins, which he gets in fresh on "sausage day", once/week. Better than the salted ones that need soaking, and they freeze ok. if you don't use up a whole one (that's a lot of sausages).

Also if they are to be frozen the flavours can shift over a few months, generally becoming more pronounced.

Tongmaster sell the Spikomat press which is a superb professional tool, at a price, no fancy features, just lay out the discs or cut out your own squares from greaseproof paper, on your worktop, place a ball of the mix on top of each one, then apply the press.

If wanting to cook from frozen, or partially thawed, use cellophane discs that peel off easily.

The other presses that have a base into which things are placed, be they made of plastic or metal they do the same job, but one-at-a time. With a Spikomat or similar you can bang out a batch of burgers far more productively.

Also don't start with previously frozen meat, unless you are going to eat them right away. Do not re-freeze, particularly anything minced up. And keep everything really cool, chilled, the mincer will work better. Not a job to do in a nice cosy centrally heated kitchen.

Last edited:

Finbarn

I use roughly 20-25% pork belly or streaky bacon to venison. Using decent butchers smoked streaky bacon gives the burgers a great flavour. Add in finely chopped onion softened in a pan & cooled. Some breadcrumbs, dollop of mustard, splash of Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper & an egg.

As Sharpie said, fry a little along the way until it tastes right.

A cheap amazon burger press does the job fine - about 6 ounces of meat makes a 4.5 inch burger. Before vac packing I pop them in the freezer until they’re hard enough that the vacuum packer doesn’t squash them.

You don’t need expensive kit the vac packer is Andrew James, the mincer a budget machine a mate bought years ago & gave to me in exchange for a supply of burgers.

jb1

I freeze the meat for 1/2 a day 1st, all weighed in batches as per recipe mix. Prep all ingredients before, so your all ready to go. I substitute the water for red wine in venison sausage and burgers. And add extras lke Garlic, chillies, dried Apriots, Dried Mango (nice with venison) or anything that takes your fancy.
I use a Buffalo mincer and a Buffalo sausage stuffer and a dogs danglies burger press ( cant remember the name)
I used to make up my own seasoning but decided it was to much fuss, so now i buy simple base burger mix from Scobies.

Monkey Spanker

For a cheap press, get a suitable diameter can of peaches or something along with some cellophane burger discs the same diameter. Cut both ends off the can with a can opener that leaves the rim on. chuck in the required amount of burger mix and press it. (The removed lid can be used to make a crude press or as a template). Then put in a cellophane disc or two and repeat until the can if full of burgers. Push them all out and you have a stack of burgers ready for use or the freezer!
MS

NoIDeer

I just use ground meat, salt, pepper and a splash of water. The main meat I add 10 - 25% finely chopped ham (usually whatever is in the fridge). Knead the mix for a short while to help bind it.

I build the flavours on the burger not in it with sauces, relishes, onions...

A great tip is to toast the cut side of the bun to help stop it going mushy.