PayPal scam?

gixer1

Someone got in touch with me about an item I am selling - the usual “ok here’s my PayPal account name to transfer the money” and then he sends a message saying he has no money in his PayPal account so could I send him a PayPal money request or invoice?….I said no, do it the normal way or bank transfer and he’s now sending screen shots trying to convince me the request thing via paypal is safe - I’m sending nothing until it’s done but was curious if anyone knows if this is a scam or how it works?

I was thinking if I send a request/invoice he will pay it, then I send the item and then he pulls back the money and says the item wasn’t as described or something??

Regards,
Gixer

Someone got in touch with me about an item I am selling - the usual “ok here’s my PayPal account name to transfer the money” and then he sends a message saying he has no money in his PayPal account so could I send him a PayPal money request or invoice?….I said no, do it the normal way or bank transfer and he’s now sending screen shots trying to convince me the request thing via paypal is safe - I’m sending nothing until it’s done but was curious if anyone knows if this is a scam or how it works?

I was thinking if I send a request/invoice he will pay it, then I send the item and then he pulls back the money and says the item wasn’t as described or something??

Regards,
Gixer
If he has no money in his PayPal…sending a request/invoice won’t make any difference.
Scammers & confidence tricksters will often attempt to lure the victim by entering into “dialogue”.
It may be legit, but “cynical me” thinks otherwise.
DG

If he has no money in his PayPal…sending a request/invoice won’t make any difference.
Scammers & confidence tricksters will often attempt to lure the victim by entering into “dialogue”.
It may be legit, but “cynical me” thinks otherwise.
DG
Yup, I’m just not willing to go that way - don’t know enough about PayPal on the request side so he’ll need to either send money normally, bank transfer or nothing will be sent! 👍🏻

I wouldn't trust it. Scammers aren't stupid, and it'd be remiss and arrogant of anyone to believe they are too sharp to be scammed themselves. Unscrupulous types are getting more and more creative and crafty with ways of taking your money and it's wise to always think there's possibly something you haven't seen when things start getting unconventional with regards to money. I would do as you have done

It's a scam buddy. I had some lowlife try it on with my Chromebook a couple of weeks ago. If you've received a PayPal payment it'll show on your account, even if the funds are pending. The 'screenshots' are of a fake website designed to look like PayPal. The email address is fake too. Send him nothing but insults

My fear would be that by sending the request in that way you’ll be seen by PP as taking payment for goods or services and seller protection will apply.

If you don’t realise this and then send by non recorded post, you’d be vulnerable to a claim for non-delivery.

Regards,
Gixer
Hopefully not someone on here?

Pretty sure you can send an invoice/request through PayPal save enough? I’ve paid a couple of people like this…they sent me an invoice and I paid it. If In doubt, give PayPal a call and double check your “rights” doing things this way.

the bit about no money in the PayPal account sounds BS….doesn’t need money in there to pay anything as you should have a card of some sort attached to the account?

Always trust your gut instinct. There will always be another buyer or seller but the feeling of having been scammed will eat you from inside.

the feeling of having been scammed will eat you from inside.
It will! I lost over £100 to a Facebook Marketplace scam a couple of years ago. I paid for something on behalf of my wife and paid via friends and family on PayPal. Not like me at all, but this one got under the radar. I still feel angry when I think about it. I'm extra careful these days

It will! I lost over £100 to a Facebook Marketplace scam a couple of years ago. I paid for something on behalf of my wife and paid via friends and family on PayPal. Not like me at all, but this one got under the radar. I still feel angry when I think about it. I'm extra careful these days
We have all been there. It isn't about money but that feeling of being cheated even if its for 50p.

Always pay goods and services!

I wouldn't trust it. Scammers aren't stupid, and it'd be remiss and arrogant of anyone to believe they are too sharp to be scammed themselves. Unscrupulous types are getting more and more creative and crafty with ways of taking your money and it's wise to always think there's possibly something you haven't seen when things start getting unconventional with regards to money. I would do as you have done
Scam baiting is quite a fun sport i’d say. You can string them along for months on end. Especially the 419 scammers from the African continent.

Does anyone know, or have experience where you are the seller of an item, buyer pays via paypal, and then subsequently claims they have not recieved the item and their payment is then returned to the buyer? Seems like a way scammers could buy an item and not pay for it which makes me nervous about accepting paypal as a payment method.

I sold a watchmakers lathe via ebay and sent the item to Paris during the midCovid lockdown, it was never accepted by the buyer from the courier and the German post system sent it back to my post office it then cost me 10 euros to get the item back and the git in Paris claimed that it was never sent and paypal refunded him his money.

Back