Pedretti Hushpower .410 - Advice on removing the moderator shroud

Mr. Gain

I have just acquired the above and am in the process of giving it a good clean.
I'd like to be able to remove the moderator shroud completely so as to clean the outside of the whole barrel and the inside of the shroud.
The shroud screws on and off just as it should, but when I try to slide it off the barrel, the bushing at the end of the barrel hits a stop about 8" from the open end of the shroud.
I initially assumed that this was due to a build-up of fouling, so set about scrubbing the black gunk off with an aluminium rod tipped with a nylon brush.
This has revealed what seems to be some sort of polymer liner, with what appears to be a seam running down one side. There's no movement between the "liner" and the shroud.
Does anyone know what this is, if it is removable, and if so, how?

wytonpjs

I too bought one of these last month and did exactly the same. However, I don't have a polymer lining............ Unscrewing the end cap revealled about half a dozen pressed steel "caps" with a hole in the centre corresponding to the bore and at the end of the barrel, a solid what looks like aluminium plug that closes off the portion of the barrel with holes drilled in it. Mine too has heavily gunked up but after some twisting and pulling the outer shroud pulled over the aluminimum plug. I gave it a good clean and reassembled exactly as I had found it. I did have a look on here and what I found looks identical to that shown in many of the diagrams/photographs:

The Saddlery & Gunroom - UK Firearms shop, Shotguns, Air Rifles, Clay Pigeon Shooting, UK Equestrian Shop, Saddles, Bridles, Riding Wear, Equestrian Products.

Mr. Gain

Thanks for the info. My gun seems a bit different. The aluminium barrel bushing on is solid (no vent holes), and the muzzle cap on the shroud doesn't look like it comes undone (FWIW, I can't see anything in the Hushpower cleaning instructions to suggest that it should).
I've put some Kroil into the interface between the end of the thread and the "liner" in the shroud and left it to seep in, in case that loosens it.
I have two Hushpower Mossbergs on which the shroud simply unscrews and slides off over the barrel bushing, so the situation with the Pedretti is a bit of a surprise.
The part of the barrel I can get at was heavily coked with powder fouling but the blued finish underneath is still really good - I.e. it does seem worth giving the thing a good clean.

the_greenman

I have a 12bore Pedretti hushpower and when I bought it I decided to give it a thorough clean/once over. The shroud also stuck after it had been completely unscrewed. I kept at it until it eventually slid completely off. It took a while but there was a build up of solid crud that fell out of it.

Mr. Gain

20210609_163931.jpg
Here's a pic of the white "liner" in my gun. It seems bonded in. I tried lifting it by the seam (visible on the RH side) with a plastic pick and it broke the pick.

Mr. Gain

I have a 12bore Pedretti hushpower and when I bought it I decided to give it a thorough clean/once over. The shroud also stuck after it had been completely unscrewed. I kept at it until it eventually slid completely off. It took a while but there was a build up of solid crud that fell out of it.
This is what I expected, but then there turned out to be more to the blockage than the initial layer of crud.

Rhodesianjess

I have the folding pedretti 12 bore hushpower, takes a bit of footling but the barrel with aluminium collar slides out for cleaning. Carburettor cleaner every so often does the trick, that stuff really gets gunk off.

Mr. Gain

I have the folding pedretti 12 bore hushpower, takes a bit of footling but the barrel with aluminium collar slides out for cleaning. Carburettor cleaner every so often does the trick, that stuff really gets gunk off.
I reckon I need to get the bit of PVC pipe -or whatever it is that a former owner* slid into the shroud - out first (see pic in post #5).

*As no one else seems to have anything similar, I'm assuming it's a "bright idea" someone had to make the moderator more effective... A bright idea that they didn't quite think through...

Rhodesianjess

Email with photo to Saddlery and Gunroom might be a idea, you never know what they might come up with. At least you'll know , you might even have a one off!

Mr. Gain

S&G have been most helpful.
Apparently, the plastic tubing is a genuine Hushpower thing, added to prevent the blast from the first pair of holes in the barrel deforming the aluminium shroud. Also, it is most likely an interference fit, so possibly removable, although given the reason it was put there in the first place, maybe keeping it where it is is more important than being able to keep the system clean.