Pen pals in the forces.

basil

Distinguished Member
#1
We all spend an hour at least every day on the forum.
It takes half an hour ish to write a letter. I`m sure there`s plenty of folk in the forces abroad who would like to keep in touch with someone here.
Don`t forget, not everyone has a Mrs or Mr to communicate with.
basil.
 

Pete E

Well-Known Member
#3
basil said:
We all spend an hour at least every day on the forum.
It takes half an hour ish to write a letter. I`m sure there`s plenty of folk in the forces abroad who would like to keep in touch with someone here.
Don`t forget, not everyone has a Mrs or Mr to communicate with.
basil.
I think its a nice idea, but I'm not sure our soldiers would appreciate getting unsolicited mail from a bunch of blokes they don't know, if you get my drift! :eek: :lol:

Get your wife, mother or daughter to write it and you'd be onto a winner though! :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

jingzy

Account Suspended
#4
When I go to the gulf again, you can all send me pictures of your wives, girlfriends and daughters (over 18 only). As long as they are minimum 5' 10, blonde, or brunette, or red head or black haired, dressed to thrill. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
J
 

Trapper

Well-Known Member
#5
pen pals

In the falklands
and other places we had a Crufts and a battersea board!Dont see to many off the lads/ ladesses replying,however if they do, they will get a days red stalking for nowt.MOD 90 CURRENT REQUIRED. :) subject to my partners say so !.
Trapper.
 

EMcC

Well-Known Member
#6
I reckon the days of letter writing, Pen Pals, in the forces are nearly all but gone as most speak to their wives, girlfriends and mates by mobile phone most days while they are away.
Any of the single lads that don't have been known to place ads in the dedicated forces magazines and they certainly aint asking for blokes to write/phone them!!!!
 
#7
Forces Penpals

Not a bad idea........if you want details of Service Personel to write to you can pick up a copy of "Soldier" magazine.

As for the blokes using mobiles to stay in touch, have you seen what they earn compared to mobile phone charges ????

And let alone this,there is a thing called Op Sec !!!!!!

Basil has the right idea though, our service personel should be in our thoughts whether away on Op's in the middle east or at home, Help for Heroes is a great charity to support.

What about offering soldiers the oppurtunity to have a "FREE" guided stalk when they are back home ????
 

EMcC

Well-Known Member
#8
!What about offering soldiers the oppurtunity to have a "FREE" guided stalk when they are back home ????'

An excellent idea and I'm sure you will be taken up on it mostly by the guys that are already interested in Stalking and are possibly members of the Services Branch of The Deer Society.
They are the ones that have access to all MOD land already and keep all they shoot, some make quite a packet from venison.

A days Pheasant shooting would probably be more popular amonst the rank and file soldiers.
 
#9
EMcC said:
A days Pheasant shooting would probably be more popular amonst the rank and file soldiers.
Not me! I'm a "rank & file" soldier, and though I am working towards being a member of DDM (ex SB of BDS) it will NOT give me access to all MOD land, so any opportunity to stalk is welcome :lol:
 
#10
Missing the POINT !!!

"Rank and File", Mr EMcC stop watching Blackadder goes forth and think about the "modern" Army, many as you put it "Rank & File" soldiers that i have work with are extremley well educated.

Were you offended by the word "FREE", i think if you read how this discussion started you will find you need to adjust your windage slightly.........Is it ok to offer a free stalk to someone on this website but NOT someone who is fighting for this country ????
 

EMcC

Well-Known Member
#11
Owen,
Once you reach AMA status 'Cross Pollination' to all MOD sites with Deer on them is encouraged for experience and further training purposes.
Once you are qualified you will be given an area of resposibility and you'll find you will probably not have time to go elsewhere.
Good luck with your progression, it's a lot of hoops to jump through and quite a bit of 'tongue biting' but well worth it in the end.
The MOD has some of the best sites in UK and not only is it enjoyable seeing the scenery, to which most of the public do not have access, some of the other wildlife is fantastic and not being used to the general public gives you a better opportunity of getting closer or them or to you in some cases.
 

EMcC

Well-Known Member
#12
Saur 202
Rank and file - Non Commissioned Officers was what I was referring to and the reason for that reference was that I am a member of a Military Pheasant Shoot and I very rarely, if at all, see anybody below the rank of Major as a member, other than the YO's on invite, so I thought that would be a nice opportunity.
I don't know anything about the free bit you refer to.
I was merely suggesting that there are plenty of Deer Stalkers within the MOD but thought the pheasant shooting would be more interesting for the lads for my reasons mentioned above.
As regards your reference to Education, I've no idea what you are talking about but I must agree with your remark about them being more Educated today.
Some of the people I worked with and for did Open University courses for fun and did quite well out of it too I might add.
I am pretty well up to date with the Military, having only retired from a Military Environment in Sept last year and between two bouts of civilian life managed to squeeze in twenty five years (man service) in the army and am now pretty well surrounded by military.
So I apologise if there was some sort of misunderstanding somewhere, I hope I have cleared that up
Ah, I have just read the post you referred to and can now see where you are coming from (I think).
Could it have been the capitalisation of the word free? if that was what you were referring to, then I can see what you mean, but no, all I did was cut and paste from the post above mine.
 

tartinjock

Distinguished Member
#13
I think it's agreat idea, but a little different on offer is also much appreciated.

I was away last year, we had boxes addressed to the 'OC LAD', well that was me as I was the highest rank there. In it was sweeties, books, mags (NOT PORN, Illegal in Afghan), toilet stuff, just a few items that don't mean much to the average person, there was also a letter from the sender, to which I replied and thanked. But to get this stuff, which I then gave to the lads, which is from people who don't know us from Adam was perfect, a 10 min gesture for them to buy, wrap and post, sticks in the minds of the person at the other end, I came back a year ago and still remember it to this day. We got 4 parcels in the end, all from the same group. We were the envy of the Sqn I was with as they received nothing.

These things stick in minds for a long time.......

TJ
 

basil

Distinguished Member
#17
tartinjock said:
I think it's agreat idea, but a little different on offer is also much appreciated.

I was away last year, we had boxes addressed to the 'OC LAD', well that was me as I was the highest rank there. In it was sweeties, books, mags (NOT PORN, Illegal in Afghan), toilet stuff, just a few items that don't mean much to the average person, there was also a letter from the sender, to which I replied and thanked. But to get this stuff, which I then gave to the lads, which is from people who don't know us from Adam was perfect, a 10 min gesture for them to buy, wrap and post, sticks in the minds of the person at the other end, I came back a year ago and still remember it to this day. We got 4 parcels in the end, all from the same group. We were the envy of the Sqn I was with as they received nothing.

These things stick in minds for a long time.......



TJ
TJ. Do we members count as friends. What i`m checking is we as members of the directory could act as friends to an recipient or recipients to get free postage? I`m sure we could get a 25 kilo package together.
basil.
 

tartinjock

Distinguished Member
#18
basil said:
TJ. Do we members count as friends. What i`m checking is we as members of the directory could act as friends to an recipient or recipients to get free postage? I`m sure we could get a 25 kilo package together.
basil.
Can't see why not. ;)
 

basil

Distinguished Member
#19
basil said:
tartinjock said:
I think it's agreat idea, but a little different on offer is also much appreciated.

I was away last year, we had boxes addressed to the 'OC LAD', well that was me as I was the highest rank there. In it was sweeties, books, mags (NOT PORN, Illegal in Afghan), toilet stuff, just a few items that don't mean much to the average person, there was also a letter from the sender, to which I replied and thanked. But to get this stuff, which I then gave to the lads, which is from people who don't know us from Adam was perfect, a 10 min gesture for them to buy, wrap and post, sticks in the minds of the person at the other end, I came back a year ago and still remember it to this day. We got 4 parcels in the end, all from the same group. We were the envy of the Sqn I was with as they received nothing.

These things stick in minds for a long time.......



TJ
TJ. Do we members count as friends. What i`m checking is we as members of the directory could act as friends to an recipient or recipients to get free postage? I`m sure we could get a 25 kilo package together.
basil.
25 kilos? Where did that come from? :rolleyes:
basil.
 

Top