Peter Laider Lee Enfield expert.

And it states that they are claiming they are not guilty, and the court case is ongoing , so at the moment they are innocent according to the law, or have you and the reporters decided they are guilty so it must be true, honestly the shooters in this country amaze me, talk about shooting yourself in the foot

IF they are found guilty I hope they throw the keys away but untill they are found Guilty, they are innocent
Ray

And the telegraph is claiming they are guilty, but the trial is still ongoing, so they are innocent,shooting gets enough bad publicity without posting things like this on a shooting forum, I have not commented against you or the OP as you are entitled to post what you want , I comment on whether it is wise to post this on a shooting forum,, we get enough negative publicity without spreading more ourselfs
Ray

And it states that they are claiming they are not guilty, and the court case is ongoing , so at the moment they are innocent according to the law, or have you and the reporters decided they are guilty so it must be true, honestly the shooters in this country amaze me, talk about shooting yourself in the foot

IF they are found guilty I hope they throw the keys away but untill they are found Guilty, they are innocent
Ray

Please point out where i said anything about his guilt or innocence or retract that post.

And the telegraph is claiming they are guilty, but the trial is still ongoing, so they are innocent,shooting gets enough bad publicity without posting things like this on a shooting forum, I have not commented against you or the OP as you are entitled to post what you want , I comment on whether it is wise to post this on a shooting forum,, we get enough negative publicity without spreading more ourselfs
Ray

The telegraph are not stupid enough to say a man on trial is guilty before the trial is finished. The trial would collapse if they did so and the telegraph would be in the dock.

You seem to be getting ahead of yourself ray.

Last edited:
Well if they value 1 sniper rifle at £50000 then he couldn't of stole many of them for it all to add up to £70000 and no wonder the MOD are skint if they pay that.

I seem to recall reading that the GPMG mount was 70k on it's own. And that was long ago.
The usual case of, bid low for the main item, and rip the customer off for the accessories.

I was an armourer in the RAF, and spent some time in the small arms bay at RAF Leuchars. It baffles me how anyone would manage to remove weapons from a secure armoury in the first place, let alone then disguise the fact they're missing from the records. Of course, I was only a lowly tech', but the security of the weapons was a priority within the building, as it was across the entire station. Think there's maybe more to this than at first seems apparent?

I suppose if he was a captain, then he would likely be the person who would be in charge of the security of the weapons and may well have been responsible for ensuring they were all present and correct. If so, I guess it would be easy to snaffle some kit without it being noticed. Until he left that post. However, that's all conjecture on my part. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, although he may have a harder time explaining why they found stuff in his house.

The Telegraph did not "claim they were guilty", it reported a court case where "Matthew Jewell QC, prosecuting" told the court "Peter Laidler stole weapons". We're a long way from establishing guilt.

Seems to involve weapons / weapon parts in a museum, rather than an armoury in a working unit or operational deployment where weapons would be checked in/out routinely and subject to frequent butt number and (less frequently, but still often enough, serial number) checks.

So what will happen to the rifles the MoD Police seized, but have failed to prove they were stolen? Will they be returned to those who they wrongfully accused?

Back