Petter AC1 diesel Generator

The Singing Stalker

Anybody out there know anything about them? I bought one a couple of years ago thinking i would need it but, nope, way to big for my needs. It has been sat in my shed so it is off being checked by a friend. So far so good all the electrickery seems to work. Next on the list is to change the filters and oil, start it up and sell it.
I think it might be a 6.5 horsepower engine and it is connected to a 7.5 kw jenny.
Anybody know where I can get spares and how I could get an idea of the value?

they took over from the aa1 as the standard diesel fitted for portable traffic lights, usually find that because they were run at a constant speed they would coke up. but very easy to strip and clean after that they will keep going and going....very robust engine

they took over from the aa1 as the standard diesel fitted for portable traffic lights, usually find that because they were run at a constant speed they would coke up. but very easy to strip and clean after that they will keep going and going....very robust engine
Constant speed is not a problem for diesels. Light loads are the issue. They're like the human heart, they need to be loaded or they coke-up.

6.5hp sounds a bit weak to be attached to a 7.5KW generator doesn't it? :-|

When I was doing up my Lister ST2 I used:

And the people on this forum know all:

:D
Indeed it does. Around 4 or 5KVA at unity power factor would be more realistic for the output of that engine

Anybody out there know anything about them? I bought one a couple of years ago thinking i would need it but, nope, way to big for my needs. It has been sat in my shed so it is off being checked by a friend. So far so good all the electrickery seems to work. Next on the list is to change the filters and oil, start it up and sell it.
I think it might be a 6.5 horsepower engine and it is connected to a 7.5 kw jenny.
Anybody know where I can get spares and how I could get an idea of the value?

At best it wont make 7.5 kw from 6.5hp...
6.5hp sounds a bit weak to be attached to a 7.5KW generator doesn't it? :-|

When I was doing up my Lister ST2 I used:

And the people on this forum know all:

:D

The maths does not work out..7.5 out of 6.5....nope...

1hp = 0.7457kw.

Throw in losses & that 6.5hp might give you a tad over 4kw max output & 3kw continuous.

I was making guesses about the hp. but i remember that it was supposed to be 7 or 7.5kw continuous. I will contact that company and see if they can shed more light. I know the guy was running his fab shop from it in the middle of nowhere and was welding and everything.
pretty girlfriend too. Sigh. Terrible this getting old thing.

Is there a plate on the generator side of things? Do you have a picture of it?

My ST2 (18hp) was 7KW and it weighed about half a tonne and took up most of the room on the back of a pickup truck. Was yours a similar size?

Yes it has a plate. Yes I do have a photo. Mine is about the size of a wheelbarrow. The unit. Not the plate. Lol.
It's a bit blurred but does say AC1 and there is a number 6 but I can't see what it means but I will guess that could be the horse power so that could mean the kw is not 7 continuous. Drat and double drat.
I can't go and look at it as it is not at the house and would mean travelling.

My deceased very good friend Keith did his apprenticeship at Petter Diesel in Slough, he told me Christene Keeler was a secretary there who he lusted after "not a lot of people know that".

If it's an AC1 then it will be a single cylinder, AC2 is a twin cylinder. The AC1 produces around 6hp at 3000rpm which will likely be coupled to a 4KVA single phase two pole alternator.

If it's an AC1 then it will be a single cylinder, AC2 is a twin cylinder. The AC1 produces around 6hp at 3000rpm which will likely be coupled to a 4KVA single phase two pole alternator.

It is definitely a single cylinder and an AC1 so that clears what the unit is. So 4KVA going by the previous posts makes a lot of sense.
So, any guesses what it may be worth?
Thanks all for your help so far.

In operational condition probably £200 to £250 (assuming its a bog standard 110 or 230v set running at 3000rpm) . It will sell all day long on ebay

The last AC1 I bought was coupled to a 3.5KVA generator, and to be honest it worked very hard to keep that up.
It did eventually sell but it was a struggle, it was also a horrible thing to live with, noisy to the extreme, nothing nice about a 3500rpm single.

Neil.

Back