Photo tags

gixer1

I’m not an expert by any means when it comes to technology - so can anyone tell me if the photographs we upload to the forum show a location or anything? Just curious if someone could find a specific location from a photo or does the forums system prevent this?

regards,
Gixer

Woodsmoke

Sorry @gixer1 I couldn't help myself :lol:

Kidding aside, I think the time/date/location tag information is limited to the device used to take the original photograph?

gixer1

Kidding aside, I think the time/date/location tag information is limited to the device used to take the original photograph?

Excuse my ignorance but do you mean the info can only be seen on the device that takes them??

regards,
Gixer

Woodsmoke

Excuse my ignorance but do you mean the info can only be seen on the device that takes them??

regards,
Gixer
I think so. And then anyone who copies it only sees the info' relating to the copy? Not entirely certain though

dunwater

Afraid not, I took a lot of photo’s in Namibia and loaded them on to my IPAD when I got home, they’re geo tagged on it, but my camera doesn’t have that capability, allegedly, the original memory card doesn’t seem to have any location info So where did it come from?

FrenchieBoy

I believe the ‘metadata’ (as it’s known) might be visible to someone who is so inclined to put it through the relevant software.

This link explains how to remove the metadata - How to Remove Photo Metadata (Windows, Mac, Android & iOS)

And if you’ve sold your soul to the Devil and have an iPhone (guilty) then I’ve turned off location data for my photos, as shown here - How to Turn Off Geotagging For Photos On iPhone and iPad
Much depends on what camera you use and how you edit the photo. Some will show up as what is know as Exif files.
Many of mine have the Exif files attached to them.