Pigeon Hide Chair

VanGogh76

I'm on the look out for a decent pigeon hide chair, I've been using a shooting stick seat for ages and it's not very pleasant on my delicate posterior at the end of the day :lol:

What are your recommendations?

Tim.243

I'm on the look out for a decent pigeon hide chair, I've been using a shooting stick seat for ages and it's not very pleasant on my delicate posterior at the end of the day :lol:

What are your recommendations?
Use a school/collage chair they are very well made...i have used one for 15 years, come when it is muddy then weld 2 bars across the l/R legs and it won't sink in... IMG-20190706-WA0006.jpg

Last edited:

Longstrider

Forget a chair unless you can drive to the hide and drop it off. What with all the other kit you need they're a PITA to lug around the hedgerows.

I've been using one of these for years ....

I do now have a bean-bag cushion to prevent the numbus-bummus that prolonged use can result in but this is predominantly for use when sitting out for Charlie with the rifle. The bean-bag lives stored in the bucket when not in use. When pigeon shooting the idea is that you never actually sit down for too long at a stretch as you're busy picking up birds and setting them out as extra deeks. The one I use for pigeoning/crowing contains my cammo nets for the hide, my grub for the day, and some odd lengths of paracord to use as guy-lines for the hide poles if things get a bit too blustery.
With the swivelling top it's easy to get yourself correctly aligned for a shot too.

Tim.243

Forget a chair unless you can drive to the hide and drop it off. What with all the other kit you need they're a PITA to lug around the hedgerows.

I do now have a bean-bag cushion to prevent the numbus-bummus that prolonged use can result in but this is predominantly for use when sitting out for Charlie with the rifle. The bean-bag lives stored in the bucket when not in use. When pigeon shooting the idea is that you never actually sit down for too long at a stretch as you're busy picking up birds and setting them out as extra deeks. The one I use for pigeoning/crowing contains my cammo nets for the hide, my grub for the day, and some odd lengths of paracord to use as guy-lines for the hide poles if things get a bit too blustery.
With the swivelling top it's easy to get yourself correctly aligned for a shot too.
As posted I use a school chair which are well designed as people sit in them for hours 5 days a week.... :tiphat:

VanGogh76

That's what my buddy is for, as apparently my pattern is always wrong, it's a J when it should be a U etc (it's almost as if I have been doing it wrong on purpose... 😂)

wytonpjs

Just bought a two-person hide off A1 Decoy and it comes with two camping style seats as an integral part of it. It all folds up and packs away into a small (but long) bag that has shoulder straps on. I'm genuinely impressed especially as its not too heavy!

Tim.243

Just bought a two-person hide off A1 Decoy and it comes with two camping style seats as an integral part of it. It all folds up and packs away into a small (but long) bag that has shoulder straps on. I'm genuinely impressed especially as its not too heavy!

For pigeon shooting?

Tim.243

Has a large openable window in the front, 2 on the back and removeable (screened) panels on the side. It's sold as a pigeon hide but I bought mine to lug into a small piece of ground where I use it as a low-box. Its waterproof:D
Or a re run of The Bridge on the River Kwai as the sweat box.

Years ago there was some woman on PW who talked abt decoying pigeons... :zzz:

she brought one of those, I asked her how she would see them coming from the side or from behind...lol

I’ve got a bucket seat for when I’ve got to carry stuff in but just bought a pigeon commander seat for when I can drive up to to spot. The backrest is a godsend for my old creaking bones!!

potshotpat

Colin Willock ( Town Gun ) had a metal drum/ barrel seat size inside an army kit bag carried all his gear to his spot
. Emptied everything out got the barrel turned it upside down ( he had put a little letterbox size flap at the ground side and he then lit a candle placed inside the barrel shut the flap and relaxed. Bliss.)

landkeeper

I use an ironing chair 😉 it's tubular and adjustable , has horizontal bars on the feet so doesn't sink a nice padded seat and back rest not the simplest thing to carry BUT it's fantastic imo