Pigeons in Laid Wheat

Tim.243

That time of year when the birds are landing in the tram lines also any laid crops, these birds were tucked in a cosy 9 acre field with a couple of patches getting most of the attention.

I called the farmer asking if his lad would like to join me, Harry was on time with what I asked him to bring. They run a big pheasant shoot but never seem to get time for pigeon shooting, Harry had a new gun with him and a track record of 10 pigeons as his biggest tally.

The day went well with "H" getting dialled in, 114 pigeons in 4 hours, we left the dogs at home then came back to pick up. He was over the moon with his 61 birds....
I managed 5 pairs in my total.

Tim.243

basil

Distinguished Member
A very under estimated sport and an under estimated meat.
Used to love a bit of Pigeon shooting but was never any good at it! It`s an art.
Well done on a decent bag.

Tayles007

Great bit of sport there mate, and superb getting the doubles in there. I love the thrill and challenge of pigeon at this time of year.
Sadly I lost some local ground when the landowner changed. I'm hoping to get out in a few weeks when the harvest starts...Enjoy it.

finnbear270

The dog seems happy enough with efforts!, I have spiders in my / our shotguns, I scare more than I bring down, found out my master eye is on the wrong side :rolleyes:, that must mean I'm cockeyed :lol:

Druid

I saw my first couple of combines working the fields today. Time to dig the decoys out of the shed.

norma 308

mate did 257 on Sunday on laid bar!ey I've never really got into pigeon.shooting somehow I always seem to be thinking I. could be up a high seat :D

I. Farticus

In March I picked up the pigeon rights on the estate that we back onto at home, but I've not been out since April as the rape had a sudden growth spurt, and I didn't want to leave chicks starving in the nest.

What do you folks do about shooting over rape? Would you go out now when it's browning off, and laying down a bit, or leave it until it's been harvested next month? It's bl**dy thick stuff and finding pricked birds might be a real issue

New to this, as you can tell, and I'd rather learn through others' tried and tested methods than get it badly wrong #respectforquarry

ChrisWill184

Not that I shoot a great deal of doos but I am of the thinking that if the crops are tall then it may be difficult to find the pricked birds without damaging the crop further and of course there is the moral issue of losing them altogether. That is if you are going to do a big pick up mind and having a dog will certainly reduce the damage. That said though, if the farmer says 'get out and shoot them, they are eating the lot!', the decision has already been made so to speak.

Tim.243

A very under estimated sport and an under estimated meat.
Used to love a bit of Pigeon shooting but was never any good at it! It`s an art.
Well done on a decent bag.

Great bit of sport there mate, and superb getting the doubles in there. I love the thrill and challenge of pigeon at this time of year.
Sadly I lost some local ground when the landowner changed. I'm hoping to get out in a few weeks when the harvest starts...Enjoy it.
nice bag mate, superb sport
Cracking stuff. Cant seem to get on any farms up here :(
The dog seems happy enough with efforts!, I have spiders in my / our shotguns, I scare more than I bring down, found out my master eye is on the wrong side :rolleyes:, that must mean I'm cockeyed :lol:
I saw my first couple of combines working the fields today. Time to dig the decoys out of the shed.
In March I picked up the pigeon rights on the estate that we back onto at home, but I've not been out since April as the rape had a sudden growth spurt, and I didn't want to leave chicks starving in the nest.

What do you folks do about shooting over rape? Would you go out now when it's browning off, and laying down a bit, or leave it until it's been harvested next month? It's bl**dy thick stuff and finding pricked birds might be a real issue

New to this, as you can tell, and I'd rather learn through others' tried and tested methods than get it badly wrong #respectforquarry
Tim will return Once he gets a new laptop due to CHIP **** it up with a glass of water :rofl: :stir:

Thank you all for the reply's.....As Paul mentioned the Super Spaniel managed to kill the lap top, I was thinking about getting a newer model just he pushed the process quicker that I wanted with the glass of water trick on the key board.

Shot 190 yesterday with a good friend so will add the picture and one of a white woody later.

Tim.243

Last edited:

Bavarianbrit

The crops are here in Dover not yet harvested but the birds are few and far between at the moment.
Now back in Germany so thats it for this year for me.
Have fun.

paultap

Can anyone recommend a decent guide at reasonable prices in the South Wales/Bristol area by any chance?