Plain or "fancy food", what's your favourite?

FrenchieBoy

Just a thought. What sort of food is do you favour most?
I've just put a nice Belly Pork Casserole in the slow cooker for tonight. Plenty of Belly Pork, loads of chunky chopped root vegetables, a few chopped leeks, a pack of Somerset Pork Casserole mix, a glass of still cider and a bit of seasoning. Served up after about 8 hours with plenty of thick cut bread and butter and washed down with a tankard of farm house cider!
That is one of my favourite meals, what's yours?

Musketeer

Just a thought. What sort of food is do you favour most?
I've just put a nice Belly Pork Casserole in the slow cooker for tonight. Plenty of Belly Pork, loads of chunky chopped root vegetables, a few chopped leeks, a pack of Somerset Pork Casserole mix, a glass of still cider and a bit of seasoning. Served up after about 8 hours with plenty of thick cut bread and butter and washed down with a tankard of farm house cider!
That is one of my favourite meals, what's yours?
That sounds wonderful.

My favourite is a roast pork Sunday lunch.

The fourth Horseman

Medallions of Sika saddle with roast spuds, roast parsnips, peas and broad beans, almost caramelized red currant jelly, washed down with a nice Shiraz followed by creme brulee.
Next meal, medallions of Muntjac etc, etc, through all the species. On the 7th day A rack of a good wether lamb cooked slowly to pink etc.

FrenchieBoy

I like that style on cold day's or Sundays but if its an occasion or eating out you can't beat trying anything different or new. I'm a foodie & there's just so much to like.
Totally agree with you, and just like you (And most members on here no doubt) I love my food!
Yes it's nice to go out for a "Fancy or Different sort of Meal" now and then, but I really love good old home cooking and do look forward to my Sunday Roasts - Preferably a Roast Pork or Chicken dinner with all the trimmings!

Tim.243

Muntjac back strap....1 onion 1 bell pepper 3 hot chillies, small cup of pasta...English green beans

Swap MJ for Chicken....

Steak, Jacket Spud, veg....

Tim.243

Rusty Gate

Thinking about it, one meal I always look back & always will was on a bike trip. We rode to the Nurburgring & stayed at a country hotel nearby, the owner was an exceptional chef & qualified butcher. I saw venison on the menu, his own heard on the land surrounding. It was the most expensive on the menu but we were doing Germany, France, Austria, Spain etc & I wanted to try something from each country ( pasta in Italy etc ) & his red wine venison description was so good! This was about twenty years ago, never tried venison & ever since it’s my *go to” on a menu. I’d love to go back.

oowee

For me its all about what, where and with whom. I am happy with a glass of wine and a bowl of fries in Weatherspoons if the company is good.
If I had to pick one thing it would be a fresh cornish crab sandwich on brown malted bread.

tozzybum

Nice Leg of Mutton ,from a certain Welsh hill farm ,<Cheers Tim n Dot >in the slow cooker with tates,parsnips,onions,carrots ,glass of white wine and when near ready chuck in peas,broad beans and a side of cauliflower cheese :drool:

Jimboblincs2

When I worked abroad and lived in hotels I used to crave shepherds pie, fish n chips, the good old staples of normal life, but now a mix of both is nice.

James0586

Medallions of Sika saddle with roast spuds, roast parsnips, peas and broad beans, almost caramelized red currant jelly, washed down with a nice Shiraz followed by creme brulee.
Next meal, medallions of Muntjac etc, etc, through all the species. On the 7th day A rack of a good wether lamb cooked slowly to pink etc.
Where do you live?
I’m moving in! Sounds good.

kes

Lancashire hot pot - good quality leg of lamb chops (3) cut into rough 3/4" pieces, 2 onions and 5 lbs of spuds. Prepare it all and layer in an earthenware pot, starting with potato, then meat (about a third to a half) then onions (a good layer) then potato, sliced from the spud leaving triangular edges, the slivers being about 1/4 thick (max).
2 oxo cubes, fill up the pot with oxo water until, with the pot on its edge at 45 degrees you just see the surface. Cook for 1 hour at 150 degrees and then a further 2 hours (or as long as it takes to 'fall' . Serve with red cabbage and pickled walnuts.

I.t has the virtues of tasting amazing so that you cant stop eating it but an hour later you want some more.
Sunday, comfy chair, warm fire, cold beer, hotpot. for me - the best.