Plasterboard saw for chest/aitch bone

oxfordshirestalker

I was in screwfix earlier and saw plasterboard/jab saws in the catalogue. To me, these looked as though they might be good for splitting chests/pelvises (maybe if you rounded off the end a bit).
Has anyone tried the above? Would be interested to hear your views.
T

I'd never waste £100 on a butcher's saw.
Disposable carpenters saws is all I've ever used.
I imagine a jab saw would be as good.

Has anyone ever given any thought as to how stable these are with regards to tiny shards of metal being left in the meat that your cutting. Be interested to know. There is a reason why builders tools are cheaper and just that “builders tools” where purpose made butchering tools are trumpier as they are food safe?!!!

Just purchase a Stretton pull saw.

You probably don't skimp on your rifle, scope, mounts and binos so why on butchery equipment that's been designed for the task at hand?

K

I tried a plasterboard saw for breastbone cutting. Like the OP, I thought it looked similar to the "real thing", just needed the tip ground off or blunted in some way. It was rubbish at the job though. Won't be bothering with the that again.
Agree with other posters though, that a woodsaw is a great butchery tool.

Has anyone ever given any thought as to how stable these are with regards to tiny shards of metal being left in the meat that your cutting. Be interested to know. There is a reason why builders tools are cheaper and just that “builders tools” where purpose made butchering tools are trumpier as they are food safe?!!!
Saws work on either the push or the pull stroke. Just buy one that works on the pull. Which is the opposite to most carpentry saws.

I know that it's been said before but so has this thread many times, if you want a saw that wasn't designed for the job then just get a chain saw. At least it only cuts on the pull stroke!

I know that it's been said before but so has this thread many times, if you want a saw that wasn't designed for the job then just get a chain saw. At least it only cuts on the pull stroke!
I know someone who splits cattle carcasses using a chainsaw lubricated with vegetable oil.

Back