poachers

ron d

in wood this morning heard some whistling and shouting here coming up ride lurcher boys 3 off them with 2 dogs each they spread out so i aproached one of them asked him to leave the wood his phone rang he answered it he told whoever it was just to carry on walking totally ignored me and kept on walking so i phoned the police and was surprised when they said they would send someone i left the wood and was walking back to my vehicle looking back to the wood later there was 6 lads with 2 lurchers each walking over to the next wood i got into my vehicle and drove along the road and saw a police car coming along so i flagged him down he had been sent to see what was happening and informed me there was 3 vans down the road which was obvious there vehicles so they went off to to see them but as you no it wont stop the poachers years ago they would of been charged with tresppasing in pursuit of game but them days have gone the police phoned me later and told me they had spoke to them and told to leave the land deer numbers have dropped on the land obvious where they have gone no law in this country criminals just do what they want now my rant over just though i would share my experience

Dexter

Not sure that it was very sensible to approach 3 poachers whilst in the wood on you own ron. I understand why you did it but your safety is far more important IMO. They certainly don't care if you fall over and hit your head on a branch a few times that's for certain!

Highlandsjohn

I agree with Dexter,the guberment' have provided so many reasons for them to be off piste,there is no point putting yourself at risk,whether from a militant rover or a poacher..

The fourth Horseman

I agree with Dexter,the guberment' have provided so many reasons for them to be off piste,there is no point putting yourself at risk,whether from a militant rover or a poacher..
Mostly agree but it's a sickening feeling to have to back off. Used to be so different, one back word to our local copper from that sort and they would require hospitalization, and not just one of them.
Poaching was a crime then and as a keeper you could arrest them and wait for the law. Had to explain a couple of times how somebody fell over when being chased and hurt themselves.
They get away with it so often now that people are intimidated by them and the police can do very little.
However if you do anything the boot is on the other foot and the victim becomes the criminal. Wish we could go back to real civilisation where criminals get punished and not victims.

Highlandsjohn

I agree with you TfH, but times have changed so much. Have a look at the film K flagged up yesterday. 'Gamekeeper an Anglia production from 1975,fifteen years after I started with the shotgun.That was the way we were introduced to our sport.Yes we left the gun in the kitchen and cycled down the road with it through the village,but it was our pride and joy and never in my experience was it stolen.
In the film clip there were guests,beaters and keepers with no one else with a reason to be on that ground.This was filmed in yours' and Riddick's corner of the world.
I am not saying there would be no poachers,but as you say they would have been properly dealt with.
I went to school with tinker children,who lived in willow framed tents, the shape of an igloo,they came from Ireland to pick the tatties. Now did they take a bird for the pot,of course they did, but they were not like any of the animals you meet today,these folk I could learn from..

The fourth Horseman

I agree with you TfH, but times have changed so much. Have a look at the film K flagged up yesterday. 'Gamekeeper an Anglia production from 1975,fifteen years after I started with the shotgun.That was the way we were introduced to our sport.Yes we left the gun in the kitchen and cycled down the road with it through the village,but it was our pride and joy and never in my experience was it stolen.
In the film clip there were guests,beaters and keepers with no one else with a reason to be on that ground.This was filmed in yours' and Riddick's corner of the world.
I am not saying there would be no poachers,but as you say they would have been properly dealt with.
I went to school with tinker children,who lived in willow framed tents, the shape of an igloo,they came from Ireland to pick the tatties. Now did they take a bird for the pot,of course they did, but they were not like any of the animals you meet today,these folk I could learn from..
That 75film was good, gritted my teeth though with all the guns being closed and the shooter with dog tied to belt.
As a kid we had the gypsies come to pick spuds, and fruit, bowtops and Reading vardas, pulled onto grass verges. They were very dark, like Indians to look at, kids with no shoes, but they were real British romanies not tinks. Our keeper used to take them rabbits and they never poached. Nothing went missing and they were hard workers. Got to know them well after a year or two, Lee's, Boswells, Smiths, Coopers, still keep in touch with their grandchildren. Those were the days when I could walk in the pub, park the gun in the corner and swap rabbits for pints (from 14 yrs old, I looked older).
In those days I lived in Warwickshire which has now changed beyond recognition. Even the grandkids of those old Romany folk moan about the so called travellers today, saying they give everyone a bad name and chase everything in or out of season.

User0003

Just put up a chain across access roads with a sign I the middle stating ‘deer management in progress, CCTV recording, no unauthorised access’ probably the best you can do.

Or maybe some ‘police scene’ do not cross white and blue could keep them out.

or, signs with ‘gay activists camping out’ might just make the vomit and go back home

potshotpat

I know of one Keeper that had the balls to take poachers on, and I mean take them on. He said he could lose his livelihood because of them, he described them as shite. He was the sort of bloke that if you had a problem with shite he would come and help you clear it up. If it came to one on many he would be there. If it came to one on one they would be gone.