Podenco

Woodsmoke

How does he react to raw food Stu or is he on dry ,wet food .
We've put him on raw, same as our other two. He loves his grub, but so far he's not displaying any food-related aggression or guarding behaviour (not that we've been pushing our luck) He's very gentle when hand-feeding, and he doesn't bolt his food either. I think we've been extremely lucky with him in that he shows no signs of having been abused or neglected. My feeling is he was perhaps just discarded as he wouldn't hunt. Impossible to know really, but he's settling in so well up to now that his ticket here is secure

Kjf

Bloody legs on him ,

He was born to hunt and chase game .

Hes a cracker mate , a proper hunting dog ( I know you don't want that ,)

I'm sure you will steer him.in the right direction , on whatever you decide to do , whether a house dog or hunting companion

Hes a cracker

Kjf

Pedro

Definitely built for speed not comfort. Looks like you've got a good companion/pet anyway, so good for you, whether he works or not. Shouldn't be surprised if he'd give a roe a run for his money though!

Woodsmoke

Definitely built for speed not comfort. Looks like you've got a good companion/pet anyway, so good for you, whether he works or not. Shouldn't be surprised if he'd give a roe a run for his money though!
His prey drive is pretty low, thankfully. So hopefully that bodes well for his recall training, and should keep him out of trouble on walks. No intention whatsoever of walking him off-lead for the foreseeable future, but when we do he'll be wearing a GPS collar! That's almost three weeks now, and he's settling in very well indeed I'm happy to say. And he's a real character! Full of affection and fun, and pretty smart. He still has a few wrinkles to iron out, but that's only to be expected given his background. I think we've been extremely lucky with him. Some of the stories I've heard of rescue Podencos would make your toes curl!

th32

Wow, a Podenco, congrats! Among the hundreds of them I´ve known of, yet to meet one without a high prey drive. In my region is the most common hunting/shooting dog and is mostly used for rabbits. In other parts of Spain for boars, partridges, hares... Almost all of them are working dogs, although my experience is that they can become excellent pets. It´s a very ancient breed with very few crosses throughout history. Probably because it was the poor man’s hunting dog and breeders showed very little interest in this magnificent dog. It´s endurance to all weather conditions and terrains, heat in particular, it’s outstanding. Can hunt alone or in packs and uses its smell, sight and hearing, have you realized of his mobile ears? BTW they´re immune to leismania.

I´m thinking of getting a puppy to be trained as my next deer dog, so very interested in knowing of your achievements!