POI 3 feet to right?? Help needed!

JMikeyH

Evening all,

Some of you know I am fairly new to stalking having shot just two deer, and today was the day when I thought I'd finally be able to get out on my permission to start looking for deer myself, with my own rifle.

Sadly that isn't how today went

After getting my moderator from the gun shop, I pieced everything together and went out to a field with suitable backstop to shoot a box and zero the rifle now that it has been screw cut, had 2 inches off the barrel and also has a moderator.

I set a box up at 50 yards away to get the rifle roughly zeroed before moving it out to 100 yards

Much to my dismay, the round was hitting in the dirt about 3 feet to the right of my target.

I tried a variety of bullets, 100gr Federal Powershok, 100gr Hornady Whitetail and 90gr Sako Gameheads. All hitting far off to the right. I took the moderator off, thought perhaps it was clipping it. I inspected the moderator and there did indeed appear to be chipping, which surprised me as this moderator was suitable for up to .308 and I was shooting .243 through it. Nevertheless, I took a shot with the moderator off and frustratingly the round hit in near enough the same place, far off to the right.

The scope then? I had adjusted it as far as it could go and still wasn't enough. Scope was doing just fine before, so I drove home, took the scope and mounts off, checked everything over and remounted a different scope. Back to the field, and the same story!!

This leaves 2 things unchecked.

1) The rail. I feel this is unlikely as again, the rifle was shooting fine before and surely if there was 3 feet of misalignment at 50 yards it would be visible to the naked eye

2) I've got a lemon back from the gunsmith. I'm no expert at the tolerances of gunsmithing, but the thread looks very well cut, there's no obvious flaw in the work that has been done on my rifle.

So what is it then?

Thoughts please! After months of patiently waiting for all the pieces to come together and go out stalking on my own, to have it fall to pieces at the last hurdle is crushing

Cheers

PKL

3ft at 50 is massive and having re read your post, it sounds like the holes are not aligned to the bore.

Boresight it with two scopes, if they cannot be boresighted the rifle goes back and gets scrapped and your money back

Simple as that

JMikeyH

If your rifle was shooting ok without the mod and now it isn't something in your setup needs tightening.Ignore the mod for the time being and re-zero your rifle..
Think you've misread John, I am ignoring the mod, I cannot simply re-zero as there is not enough adjustment in the scope. I wish it were as straightforward as that, then I wouldn't be starting a thread on here

JMikeyH

3ft at 50 is massive and having re read your post, it sounds like the holes are not aligned to the bore.

Boresight it with two scopes, if they cannot be boresighted the rifle goes back and gets scrapped and your money back

Simple as that
I've refitted the original scope (as I don't think both are shagged neither must be shagged), swapped the mounts (back to front and front to back) and will head out and see where the round is going now.

Highlandsjohn

Evening all,

Some of you know I am fairly new to stalking having shot just two deer, and today was the day when I thought I'd finally be able to get out on my permission to start looking for deer myself, with my own rifle.

Sadly that isn't how today went

After getting my moderator from the gun shop, I pieced everything together and went out to a field with suitable backstop to shoot a box and zero the rifle now that it has been screw cut, had 2 inches off the barrel and also has a moderator.

I set a box up at 50 yards away to get the rifle roughly zeroed before moving it out to 100 yards

Much to my dismay, the round was hitting in the dirt about 3 feet to the right of my target.

I tried a variety of bullets, 100gr Federal Powershok, 100gr Hornady Whitetail and 90gr Sako Gameheads. All hitting far off to the right. I took the moderator off, thought perhaps it was clipping it. I inspected the moderator and there did indeed appear to be chipping, which surprised me as this moderator was suitable for up to .308 and I was shooting .243 through it. Nevertheless, I took a shot with the moderator off and frustratingly the round hit in near enough the same place, far off to the right.

The scope then? I had adjusted it as far as it could go and still wasn't enough. Scope was doing just fine before, so I drove home, took the scope and mounts off, checked everything over and remounted a different scope. Back to the field, and the same story!!

This leaves 2 things unchecked.

1) The rail. I feel this is unlikely as again, the rifle was shooting fine before and surely if there was 3 feet of misalignment at 50 yards it would be visible to the naked eye

2) I've got a lemon back from the gunsmith. I'm no expert at the tolerances of gunsmithing, but the thread looks very well cut, there's no obvious flaw in the work that has been done on my rifle.

So what is it then?

Thoughts please! After months of patiently waiting for all the pieces to come together and go out stalking on my own, to have it fall to pieces at the last hurdle is crushing

Cheers
I read what you said and responded...........QUOTE// the rifle was shooting fine before and surely if there was 3 feet of misalignment at 50 yards it would be visible to the naked eye.QUOTE//

JMikeyH

I read what you said and responded...........QUOTE// the rifle was shooting fine before and surely if there was 3 feet of misalignment at 50 yards it would be visible to the naked eye.QUOTE//
You've got to assume I've got some common sense - if it shoots with the same error regardless of whether the moderator is on or off then it isn't the moderator

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PKL

Agreed, it’s not the mod, if you’ve tried two scopes, it’s not the scopes,

You need to check if the barrel is badly pushed to one side of the stock barrel channel and could be badly affecting harmonics.

Also, you don’t need to shoot it anymore right now, you need to check whether there’s a problem with the receiver hole alignment between the front and back. How do they look to the naked eye? Centered?

Put a ruler over them right down the middle and see if it lines up perfectly with the barrel.

Have a look at the bases, are the holes centered?

Those are the starting points from here imho

VSS

Are you turning the adjustments on the scope the right way? Not such a daft question as it sounds...
There are two ways to get a zero: Either you adjust to bring POI to where your cross hair is (so, if your bullet strike is to the right of your point of aim, you need to be adjust to the left) or you adjust to move your cross hair to the POI (in which case, if the bullet strike is to the right of the point of aim you still adjust left, even though you're trying to move your crosshair to the right).
It's easy to get confused, and just keep on turning it the wrong way, until you run out of adjustment. I would suggest you re-centre your reticle (wind all the way out, then wind all the way in counting clicks, then go back half way. Do it for both windage and elevation) then manually bore sight at about 15 metres, then move back to 25 metres and fire a few shots, then when that's OK go out to 50.

JMikeyH

Are you turning the adjustments on the scope the right way? Not such a daft question as it sounds...
There are two ways to get a zero: Either you adjust to bring POI to where your cross hair is (so, if your bullet strike is to the right of your point of aim, you need to be adjust to the left) or you adjust to move your cross hair to the POI (in which case, if the bullet strike is to the right of the point of aim you still adjust left, even though you're trying to move your crosshair to the right).
It's easy to get confused, and just keep on turning it the wrong way, until you run out of adjustment. I would suggest you re-centre your reticle (wind all the way out, then wind all the way in counting clicks, then go back half way. Do it for both windage and elevation) then manually bore sight at about 15 metres, then move back to 25 metres and fire a few shots, then when that's OK go out to 50.
I thought that, so I have just now adjusted them all the way left, and all the way right and boresighted, I had done it the right way and it was even further off to the right

DCG

If the barrels been shortened and recrowned, then it’ll have been out of the stock.
Firstly check the action screws are tight and that the barrel is free floated if it’s meant to be ( ie it hasn’t a pressure pad )
As you’ve mentioned a rail, I’m assuming that it hasn’t got tapered dovetails ( aka sako ).
If you’ve checked everything and eliminated the scope, as it was shooting ok before it was chopped, take it back to whoever did the work and get them to rectify it.

PKL

If a gunsmith can thread a barrel he won’t be putting a mad dodgy crown job on it, so I’d not worry about that much tbh.

I had an action once where they rear bridge holes were off centre, biggest ball ache ever as I had to shim the side of the rear base.

Zastava actions were factory drilled so would have left the factory with a massive issue...I assume you bought it used, was it well used or almost like new...if almost like new and 40 years old, there’s maybe a good reason it’s like that..and probably not one careful lady owner! Lol

Could also be the bases that are not sitting right

From your initial post I presume that gunsmith cut the threads on your barrel for the moderator, to do this he would have removed barrel from the stock.
Have you checked that the barrel is still free floating and there is nothing lodged between the stock and barrel putting pressure on one side of the barrel. One way to easily check this, is fold a five pound note in half and slid barrel though the hole in middle. Fiver should slid up between barrel and stock all the way to recoil lug / bolt through stock into action

PKL

Ok, just checked your other post,,,if this is the rifle, you have the wrong profile rear base as it’s floating!!!

Buy a set of Mauser 98 warne bases to match the receiver and your rings

There’s your problem

B2C4A141-904E-4B61-8C7E-CBA4B833E080.jpeg

JMikeyH

Ok, just checked your other post,,,if this is the rifle, you have the wrong profile rear base as it’s floating!!!

Buy a set of Mauser 98 warne bases to match the receiver and your rings

There’s your problem

View attachment 130586
I'll buy a new rail as I intended anyway, and fingers crossed that fixes it. It was shooting fine before the work however, so I believe these were removed and not fastened properly when the work was completed. I notice the rear screw was loose just now as I disassembled the rifle to check everything!

PKL

That rear base is for another receiver so should never have been on your rifle, ever! Lol..

Buy a warne Mauser 98 large ring rail for an altered receiver.
You need to measure the distance between the front receiver holes and the rear receiver holes as zastava May have spaced them as a k98 or as an FN. Opticswarehouse will help you get the right one.

In general, always check bases, mounts and rings and screws are tight and flush, issues with rifles are 9/10 times because people don’t check these regularly