polar bear cartridge

Mungo

A work colleague just got back from doing fieldwork in eastern Greenland.

They were issued with what he described as 'a very big gun' for polar bear protection.

He described the cartridge as having very little bottleneck and no belt. The Danish army guys who were with him apparently said it was a military round.

Does anyone know what it might have been??

8x57

Distinguished Member
Not much of a clue Mungo, it could be almost anything - 8x57, .308/7.62, .30-06.
Did they say it was a cartridge specifically used by the Danes or could it have been a military cartridge used by another nation?

turner.jc1

Could be a 9.3x64. Russians military use it as an armour piercing sniper rifle. Could also be a 8x57 I suppose.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Did he mention what the actual rifle was. I'm thinking along the lines of the old Huskvana 9.3 or the 8x57 K98.

Mungo

I know it's not much description to go on! Definitely none of the conventional 30 cal militeary rounds - the case was almost straight sided (no bottleneck).

I saw a picture of the rifle itself: modern synthetic stock, stainless steel barrel and action, what looked like a Mauser type action. Top loading with a hinged floorplate.

turner.jc1

fig10.jpg
Here's a pic of the Russian 9.3 ammo. Can't think of another big bullet fired out of a military bolt action that would meet your description, there's the .338 LM but that has more of a bottle neck. If it is a straight walled case, it could be a .45-70, which obviously was a mill cartridge, but you wouldn't find it in a bolt rifle to my knowledge

Tartan_Terrier

God knows! The Danish military are to the best of my knowledge still using the US M1917 in .30-06 for protection against polar bears.

nick.308

could be a 300 blackout. there is no bottle neck on it and they are apparently becoming a popular military round

Mungo

Cartridge isn't rimmed.

Had another look at his pictures (which I will see if I can post here). I think the rifle is a Winchester mod70.

Mungo

He also says one of the scientists in the team ND'd with it right next to the base commander's office!

Tartan_Terrier

Just thinking, the Danish snipers use .338 Lapua, so that would fit in with it being a 'military calibre', and it would probably not be a bad bet for polar bear calibre either.

Heym SR20

Something like a 9.3x62 or something in the order of the 338-06 or 35 Whelen, or perhaps the 376 Steyr. If it was a fatter case the 375 Ruger perhaps. image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png