Ponchos in highseats?

stratts

Does anyone use a poncho while sitting in their highseat to keep the elements at bay?

I had my 1st solo sit out in one tnite and after only 2 hrs of steady (not heavy) rain I realised my so called waterproof gear was pants!! Got me thinking as you don't move about much that an army poncho would do the trick as it wouldn't need to be dead quiet? Could be rolled up and kept in the roe sack maybe?

Pro's and cons anyone?

Ta

stratts

Thanks mate just found the trousers too on ebay not a bad price. Would be nice to try some on though but can't find a retailer, any ideas?

Ta

Paul 600

Lots of places sell Buffalo shirts. They are excellent as a layered system but they are not waterproof! A snug fit is recommended to trap air and wick moisture.

Uncle Norm

Does anyone use a poncho while sitting in their highseat to keep the elements at bay?

I had my 1st solo sit out in one tnite and after only 2 hrs of steady (not heavy) rain I realised my so called waterproof gear was pants!! Got me thinking as you don't move about much that an army poncho would do the trick as it wouldn't need to be dead quiet? Could be rolled up and kept in the roe sack maybe?

Pro's and cons anyone?

Ta
JE, being an ex-boy scout, had his usual golf umbrella with him (green of course) and stayed dry.

rick6point5

Hi ya poncho seems like a good idea and have tried out a few standard types, however they all made a bit of noise and actually caught the breeze a bit too, best of with quality lightweight full waterproof and bite the bullet of cost. an alternative is a fully waterproof suit like a sleeping bag with arms and legs sold via Cabellas they are nice and snug for the long high seat wait.

​cheers

Crye417

Buffalos are great, not in the slightest bit waterproof tho. For warm gear I'd highly recommend a RAB Neutrino. Awesome jacket.
For wet weather I'd say go on ebay and type in USMC Goretex. They get issued gore tex that actually works unlike the British military stuff. You can get the full suit aswell, may cost abit. Worth it tho.

Regards

​JR

Yorric

I have two ponchos - One is an ex forces proofed nylon one which is a bit noisy when you move about & the other is a Swedish one made specifically for hunting - this one is made of really quiet more rubbery cloth - similar to the type that farmers use in milking parlours etc. That one is very good in the field. Dull dark green & packs up small so easy to carry.
I like them because when it rains hard you stay dry - including your hands - the rifle can be kept covered too (depending on high seat design etc) & they keep you warmer than an over jacket.

​Ian

Steyer 6.5

I use an American poncho that's not too noisy and it has kept everything including the rifle dry and keeps wind out too. It has also made a cushion if the rain hasn't turned up. Moving dead slow lessons the noise IME.

yorric have you got a link to the Swedish one.

Toxster

Some of the Soldier 95 army surplus "jackets" are really jacket liners. You can suss this as they don't have any pockets. They are fantastically waterproof and breathable for £30. You wear then under your top layer so they there's no noise; you also don't look like Action Man...

jubnut

I know a man who stalks in a poncho, says it keeps him, his rifle and binoculars dry, a touch noisy but it makes no difference if it is hammering it down anyway.

Jager SA

I've used a Drizabone stock coat in the past worked ok but the reality is if in a high seat eventually you'll get wet. Probably better off making a canopy using several layers of micro net with a heavier net over the top and use a waterproof spray to repel water...you'll get a few drips but sit with a Gortex jacket on.

Theres also the green corrugated sheet (Wickes do it) you can get which I've used with a net draped over it, that works.

Last edited:

ejg

Spent a night on a roofed high seat with open sides. Thick snow on the ground, strong wind and it started to rain. Thankfully I took a poncho along and some string. I would have been buggered without. I very often have a light poncho along as I know from my army days how handy they can be.
edi

Klenchblaize

Works for me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELIKON-W...thing_LE&var=600101234570&hash=item460e71220c
$T2eC16F,!yUE9s6NEHv4BR,P,pB0Fw~~60_12.JPG

stratts

Thanks guys plenty of options and I spotted those Helikon jobbies on ebay last night. Trouble is we have many highseats out so roofing them all is not an option!!