Possible places to hunt Finland with a Bow

They then stand and look in amazement when their arrows miss the target at 20yds and say, on the packet it said they fly the same as field tips.
Tell me about it.:)
There is a small contradiction between the compulsary shooting test in Finland which has to be done with tagets points and the actual hunting for larger animals, where you have to use blades with a circumstance of at least 22 mm. When shooting the test with rifle you have to use gamebullets.

Can't have hunted much before if they are that naive, would be a bit like using two different bullet sizes, never mind weights, and expecting them to all hit the same point of impact :doh:

Can't have hunted much before if they are that naive, would be a bit like using two different bullet sizes, never mind weights, and expecting them to all hit the same point of impact :doh:
The problem is to many people watch youtube videos and listen to sponsors of certain products saying how good the product is. Also they listen to people who think they have all the correct facts and have only shot field archery and never hunted or used hunting equipment. So many times you hear the same quote the broad head hits the same place as field points, not many people explain the process of tuning their bow first to achieve that accuracy. You then end up with people turning up with a product that has cost them a lot of money and they fail the shooting test. So we now encourage the guys to relax and shoot on the practice range to check their gear before being called to do there test.
Gary

Watching an arrow with broadhead fly staight and true is a real joy to see ,for me its a trad bow and an arrow made by me trued and straightened fletched knocked and loved
Its not quite the same with an easton acc lol

Still have my Border Archery custom made 65 lb hickory/lancewood & fibreglass flatbow with which I won a National Filed archery comp back in '96 at Spy Park. Would love to do this but alas, too much archery using heavy bows over 30 years, plus climbing and unrelated spinal issues have left me with musculoskeletal issues meaning I can no longer partake which saddens me. I hope though, that all who take advantage of this opportunity have a great time :thumb:

To set some things straight regarding Finland:

- you don't need DSC1 to hunt, you need proof that you are allowed to hunt in your home country
- to shoot roe, whitetail or bigger with rifle or bow you need to take shooting test, have taken one abroad or proof that you are allowed to hunt them in your home country w/o test (last two also specify "similar size animals")
- you can shoot roe with shotgun slugs and shot, everything bigger (except bear and moose) with shotgun slugs, w/o shooting test
- you must satisfy certain bullet weight and energy for shooting test, you don't need expanding (even though required in hunting for larger species)
- you must satisfy 180Newton / ~40.5lbs draw weight in bow shooting test and hunting (and use field points to protect equipment)
- the shooting test in Finland must be arranged by certain official bodies and be officially announced one week in advance

So to summarize in order to bow hunt whitetail in Finland (by UK citizen):

- Finnish host would arrange for Finnish hunting license / game management fee (season runs from 1st August to 31st July, current fee 39 Euro) usually no proof required since it's known you don't need license in UK
- take official bow shooting test in UK for deer size animals (I think this is borderline since you anyway cannot bow hunt them in UK)
OR
- attend bow shooting test in Finland (20 Euro per try, maximum of 5 tries)
- prior to hunt you would satisfy other non-official requirements set by the host e.g. training to use treestand safety equipment and propably shooting test with broadheads

I would provide official translations of Finnish legislature but they're hopelessly out of date (last update 5 years ago).

Looks like we didn't get to bow hunt moose after all. At least for now.

The relevant statutes were approved but moose with bow was dropped. Official explanation is they need to investigate more...

Back