Powder Scales : Beams vs Digital

timbeech

I fear this maybe opening a can of worms but hey ho let's go for it.

Just about to get a set of ppwder scales and a trickler. Do I go for a beam scale or digital?

Been looking at the RCBS 502 for the beam or the Lyman Accu-Touch 2000 for the digital scales. Prices are similar for both setups (with a trickler). Which do you think would serve me best, I won't be doing loads of reloading.

I fear this maybe opening a can of worms but hey ho let's go for it.

Just about to get a set of ppwder scales and a trickler. Do I go for a beam scale or digital?

Been looking at the RCBS 502 for the beam or the Lyman Accu-Touch 2000 for the digital scales. Prices are similar for both setups (with a trickler). Which do you think would serve me best, I won't be doing loads of reloading.

Beam - Beam - Beam every time. A basic beam scale like a RCBS 502, 505 or a Redding No 2 will, if not abused, last a lifetime. They are accurate, reliable and consistent. Also interesting to note, is that the RCBS 502, although the bottom of the range (forget the R130) is just as accurate as the top of the range 10/10, they both share the same knife edge/bearing set-up.
Although the Lee beam scale might look tempting, and it's accurate enough, it is fiddly to set up.
A cheap digital scale, although it may well be accurate, will be in the bin in a couple of years. I use a digital for weighing bullets and cases but I always use a beam for powder.
This is my 502 in action.

I think you have to pay an awful lot of money to beat a good beam scale - by all accounts the cheaper electronic units are a waste of money.

As others have said Get a good beam scale.
I have an electric as well, I mainly use it for weighing cases etc, its scale has a 0.2 grain increment. (I think, I havent used it for over a year)
I have a lot of confidence in my beam scales. Even the lee safety scale is better than a digital in my opinion. I have one that I took out bush with me when I went roo shooting for a couple of months.

Got a brand new lyman 500 beam scale here if your interested. Never even been out of the box. Thanks

Cannot fault my Lee beam scales that came in the Anniversary kit. Also the powder thrower is spot on when dispensing Varget. In fact its pointless checking 1:10 as there is no varriation. Also helps that in .223 26grn Varget fills case so obvious if the throw is short.

If I need to weigh bullets then I put them on the labs digital analytical scales (same for cases)

As for tricklers almost pointless just use a plastic universal container and gently tap it can get one kernal at a time if need be, only do this when working up loads.

D

Cannot fault my Lee beam scales that came in the Anniversary kit. Also the powder thrower is spot on when dispensing Varget. In fact its pointless checking 1:10 as there is no varriation. Also helps that in .223 26grn Varget fills case so obvious if the throw is short.

If I need to weigh bullets then I put them on the labs digital analytical scales (same for cases)

As for tricklers almost pointless just use a plastic universal container and gently tap it can get one kernal at a time if need be, only do this when working up loads.

D

Glad to hear these scales are good. I'm probably going to bite the bullet an get the anniversary kit myself now, after pricing up all the components I can get this set and have a press to boot. I wasn't really interested in using a press but it will come in handy.

I've used an RCBS 505 beam for thirty years....it's fine & I cannot see any additional benefit changing to digital. ATB

Goto beam scale is a 'Dial o grain' with Laboratory analytical balance and a 505 in reserve...

View attachment 30490

Crazy Joe!. This is my exact set up. I have an Ohaus Dial o Grain with an Ohaus 505 in reserve. I actually use the 505 more these days but that Dial o Grain is the best. I bought mine 2nd hand 30+ years ago and it is still the best I've had.~Muir

Back