Powder Shortage

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I was talking to a good friend in the gun trade the other day, whilst purchasing some Hodgon powder. Seems like there is and will be a shortage of powder soon as the States are making life harder to ship stuff like powder over.

One of the staff in the store was trying a few outlets to get some stock in and was coming up blank. Bet the price will shoot up soon:rolleyes:

dlz90

I have heard this already Muir on here talked about this some time ago on these boards, prices are already sky-high. Here in NI compared to the rest of the uk they are usually even worse ,oh well prepare to brace ourselves.......the panic buying has probably already begun......:(

Barkingsnake

Just looked up my old Vectan data book and it reminded me that:

Vectan SP7: great in 303 and 308
Vectan Tubal 3000: great in 22-250 and 308
Vectan Tubal 5000: great in 308 and 30-06

BTW SP7 produced the best groups I ever shot in the 308: 100 yards, 5 shots touching each other so it just pushed the paper about. No hole punching.

Barkingsnake

The Vihtavuori Oy powder plant in Finland may be closing or more likely being bought by someone, nothing is decided yet. This is only a single plant owned by Eurenco and not the only plant manufacturing Vihtavuori powders.

More info and Eurenco statement here, EURENCO Statement Regarding Vihtavuori Oy Powder Plant Daily Bulletin
Finally some details! You hero!

I think they also make Re15 and some of the Ramshot line...

I was shocked to see the small level of sales (12MEur) from the plant but I guess that's the way it is...

nick100

Stocked up on primers and powder today, courtesy of Brock & Norris.
​They seem a genuinaly nice firm, makes a change in this day and age.

6pt-sika

Powder is a bit more then being scarce here in the states and it sounds like you guys are feeling it now !

Two months ago in the Philippines I asked at a couple small shops about primers and powder . Even in "normal" times it's a pain in the arse over there to get anything . And it seems a good portion of what they can get are the Wolff powders . I "assume" they're Russian made or atleast in one of the old Russian states . They told me they "sometimes" could get small amounts of Hogdon or Viht powder as well as CCI primers . But I think with the powder their #1 primer supplier was Wolff .

I had hoped to do a little loading and shooting over there if the wife and I ever get around to buying a house there and importing a rifle or two . But while at the little shops they also told me the ranges in the area were set up for handguns and 50 yard AR offhand fire . Maybe a little tactical shotgun as well . None of which intrests me !

So 100 yard bench rest over there might be outta the question !

N1trox

4 months ago I asked both of my local gun shops to get me some Reloader19. One has just managed to get some in and it is going to cost me £44!!!!!!!! That is a big increase since last year.

Lord muck

Another excuse to increase prices possibly, & ammo , reload components held back ? No problems here yet. Buy in bulk with pals, you have the power ;)

8x57

Distinguished Member
I was talking to a good friend in the gun trade the other day, whilst purchasing some Hodgon powder. Seems like there is and will be a shortage of powder soon as the States are making life harder to ship stuff like powder over.

One of the staff in the store was trying a few outlets to get some stock in and was coming up blank. Bet the price will shoot up soon:rolleyes:
One of the usual put downs on this site normally goes that you need to spend more time stalking and less time on the keyboard. In your case Malc I think you need to spend more time on the keyboard and less time stalking. :rofl:

This sort of gossip has been doing the rounds for months now. I,m starting to think that some of it in this country is being spread by the gunshops to drum up trade. After all aren't the troops being gradually withdrawn from Afghanistan, you would think military requirements are being reduced wouldn't you. As soon as the Americans come to their senses and stop panic buying you will probably land up with a surplus. :lol:

finnbear270

One of the usual put downs on this site normally goes that you need to spend more time stalking and less time on the keyboard. In your case Malc I think you need to spend more time on the keyboard and less time stalking. :rofl:

This sort of gossip has been doing the rounds for months now. I,m starting to think that some of it in this country is being spread by the gunshops to drum up trade. After all aren't the troops being gradually withdrawn from Afghanistan, you would think military requirements are being reduced wouldn't you. As soon as the Americans come to their senses and stop panic buying you will probably land up with a surplus. :lol:

Gun shops over here have no pressure to exert on supplies from the states,some orders from the states are being filled here, resulting in components going back the way they came, & as to brass............ some items have been on back order over twelve months, with no signs of ever being filled!... when people of good standing in the trade, as opposed to solely importing stuff,tell you it's going to get thin on the ground, then it's time to pick up what you can, when you can.:eek:

8x57

Distinguished Member
You can get Nobel powders but not Nobel of Glasgow because that plant has been demolished. Look for Nobel sport or Vectan.