Powder storage?

Blue400

My renewal is due shortly, does anyone clearly know if reloading nitro powder needs storage in wooden box? Or does only apply to black powder. Atb blue.

bewsher500

only black powder...and even then its not a law AFAIK
non commercial acquire and keep below 15kg doesn't legally require any special treatment

My feo told me my powder if i had more than a kg was to be in a wooden box,i just said ok but it will be going in my spare cabinet and it wasn,t black powder he clammed up,but i didnt think he was right at the time because every picture ive seen of someone reloading there is powder everywhere,

foggy

It is apparently due to new health and safety guideline I think,

i was was told the same about wooden box storage, and was also told that ignorance of new rules was no defence!!!!

i haven't managed to find any concrete evidence of the actual lawfulness of any of what I have been told.

Woodsmoke

My powder's stored on top of a wardrobe, in the original tubs, and well away from any heat sources. Primers are kept in the ammo safe. I don't know of any changes to the requirements, but it seems daft to me to enclose a tub of flammable powder inside a sealed box :-|

flying felix

You can store up to 10 kg (Net Explosive Mass) of nitro propellant without the requirement for a licence and transport up to 15 kg. You can hold up to 15 kg NEM of small arms ammunition and primers. Logic would dictate that when holding both the NEM would be combined and the lowest limit applies, however, under aggregation, if the SAA is HD 1.4S its NEM is not taken into account for the calculation of licensing.........................................bored yet :) .

Danger, lesson on how to such eggs to follow:

The Germans insist that all powder whether it's nitro or black has to be stored in a wooden box. This is to prevent people storing them in metal containers and causing what is called the confinement of explosives; the process of increasing the pressure inside a container and thus increasing the burning or detonation rate of the explosive. The result is a much more violent release of gasses. It's the principle used in pipe bombs and to open safes.

As good practice, I would not recommend storing any powder, not even Vectan (which they package as HD 1.4S), in a metal container. It would be better just sat on a shelf.

You can store up to 10 kg (Net Explosive Mass) of nitro propellant without the requirement for a licence and transport up to 15 kg. You can hold up to 15 kg NEM of small arms ammunition and primers. Logic would dictate that when holding both the NEM would be combined and the lowest limit applies, however, under aggregation, if the SAA is HD 1.4S its NEM is not taken into account for the calculation of licensing.........................................bored yet :) .

Danger, lesson on how to such eggs to follow:

The Germans insist that all powder whether it's nitro or black has to be stored in a wooden box. This is to prevent people storing them in metal containers and causing what is called the confinement of explosives; the process of increasing the pressure inside a container and thus increasing the burning or detonation rate of the explosive. The result is a much more violent release of gasses. It's the principle used in pipe bombs and to open safes.

As good practice, I would not recommend storing any powder, not even Vectan (which they package as HD 1.4S), in a metal container. It would be better just sat on a shelf.

Just like all the powders on shop shelving.;)

B500

You are right that it only applies to black powder but the storage provision of 'suitable wooden boxes' (my italics) is part of the Approved Codes of Practice in the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 and thus i would imagine is a legal requirement.

F

phaedra

And it was confirmed by BASC that the wording in that document is incorrect, nitrocellulose/smokeless powders do not need to be stored the same way as black powder does.

bewsher500

well just walk into any well stocked RFD

if the shelves full of Nitro powders were in breach of HSE or HO guidance they would be given short shrift!

propellant and explosive are very different animals

8x57

Distinguished Member
My understanding of the situation is that when the previous storage regulations were printed an error was made in the drafting suggesting that nitro powders needed to be stored similarly to black powder. This error was eventually corrected but the same error was made again when the regulations were once again revised.

Common sense tells us that the worst thing to do is to contain such powders in solid containers and even more so with primers. There is a very good video on You tube that shows what happens when sporting ammunition is involved in a fire and may be of interest to some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

B500

The police not the HSE are responsible for storage of black powder and nitrocellulose powders up to 200kg and their is no such thing as HO guidance for explosives as far as i know. Just for the record.

F

Orion

The box in the HSE Guidance does not 'contain' the powders in the sense of constricting them - it is not secured or locked - it is designed to prevent a flame path to and between the manufacturer's supplied tubs for the required 8 minutes of fire protection.

S.1 of Appendix 7 says the requirement for separation distances (as stated elsewhere in the document) applies to domestic premises unless you choose to store your smokeless powders as specified.

it's a personal call if we decide to comply or not. :D

Last edited:

TreeWorks

My understanding of the situation is that when the previous storage regulations were printed an error was made in the drafting suggesting that nitro powders needed to be stored similarly to black powder. This error was eventually corrected but the same error was made again when the regulations were once again revised.

Common sense tells us that the worst thing to do is to contain such powders in solid containers and even more so with primers. There is a very good video on You tube that shows what happens when sporting ammunition is involved in a fire and may be of interest to some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Great video find! I liked the simulated retail store with 100,000 rounds :) that goes up in smoke. Not your normal UK store then.

8x57

Distinguished Member
B500

The police not the HSE are responsible for storage of black powder and nitrocellulose powders up to 200kg and their is no such thing as HO guidance for explosives as far as i know. Just for the record.

F
The regulations (not guidance) are the same but simply enforced by differing authorities.

bewsher500

B500

F
your ammunition and primer components even in factory ammo count towards your weight of explosives/ propellant
ammuntion security is covered in HO guidance
but you are correct, loose powder storage and aquisition controls are covered under hse regulation and administered by the local Police authority.
similar to the Home Office having the Police administer Firearms Act and its interpretation through the HO guidance.

No B500 it is not HSE regulation it is MSER 2005 and ER 2014 thus different authorities have different responsibilities. And the Home Office don 't have the police administer the Firearms Acts,that is enshrined in law, they might oversee it but that is a different thing entirely. Please stop making it up as you go along and misleading people.

F