Power knife sharpening tools

sh1kar

I have no doubt squillions of threads already on this already However, here goes.

I have quite a few knives - several in larder usually mora stuff, a frost butchery kit, several stalking knives including good stuff from boden and allan wood and the usual kitchen stuff from globe and Sabatier. So lots of different steel and angles to cater for. Whilst I do get the "cathartic" and accomplishment effect of doing the job properly on Lansky, ceramic etc etc I am considering getting a power sharpener. There are quite a few around including professional chef versions which are pretty expensive, but I saw this at the stalking show a couple of months back

http://www.worksharptools.com/knife-tool-sharpener-field-kit.html

anyone got any experience with it, any good, cater for all steels and angles etc etc??

Any other better versions?

D

I have one of the professional chef power sharpeners in the larder. For butchery and utility knives it does an okay job, but I'd not use it on my stalking knives. As swarovski says, it makes a mess of the blades.

I'm more of a Tormek or Wicked Edge man when it comes to my stalking knives, using the Lansky and leather strop to touch up the edge when necessary.

I gave up on my lansky sharperner, makes for a edge you can shave with but do one pelvis or a rib cage and edge is gone, I just carry this german made sharpener in my pocket at all time, gives an edge good enough for me, am thinking of going back to opinel, best blade ive ever had, holds its edge well too

I gave up on my lansky sharperner, makes for a edge you can shave with but do one pelvis or a rib cage and edge is gone, I just carry this german made sharpener in my pocket at all time, gives an edge good enough for me, am thinking of going back to opinel, best blade ive ever had, holds its edge well too
You're sharpening on too fine an angle Swaro. I sharpen on one off the least fine guide point (if that makes sense?) and it lasts very well. I only use Mora knives and I do usually touch them up after each use but I have just gone through 5 rib cages with mine and it's still good to go. I cannot work with blunt knives either so don't think that I'm carefree about it. I always have a spare knife or two kicking about if I needed it but it isn't usually required. However, I used to go for a finer edge and I had the exact problem that you describe. You live and learn!
Baguio

Use that on any but cheap knives and you will wreck them might as well chuck the Alan wood in the bin

Set most with a 35deg bevel (17.5deg per side) and strop on a leather Strop between uses this should work well with High quality stainless in the 60RC range stropping should keep it well for a long time before you need to Re sharpen on a stone

Cheaper (but still good quality for there intended use) chef an butcher knives Mora Victorinox etc are best used on a steel or can be done on a power vee stone then Steel they will wear fast and should be considered disposable any way after time will be in the low 50 Rc

I use a sharpening stone and a good steel. I learned off a slaughter man he is sadly no longer with us. I like a fine edge on my knifes. I don't go throught rib cages with knifes so a steel keeps it sharp with no effort.

Regards kev

I'm more of a Tormek or Wicked Edge man when it comes to my stalking knives, using the Lansky and leather strop to touch up the edge when necessary.

I also use a Tormek for all my knives (and chisels and plane blades and gouges). Might be a bit pricey for just knives, but it's the bees' knees for woodworking tools.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Never tried one, but as this is a belt, not stones or disc,s, it's most probably the closest thing to what knife makers use, to get the initial bevels, to get that perfect edge you would finish on a strop or water stone.

Never tried one, but as this is a belt, not stones or disc,s, it's most probably the closest thing to what knife makers use, to get the initial bevels, to get that perfect edge you would finish on a strop or water stone.

In the same way Noddy/ Big ears and Lewis Hamilton Both drive cars yes its similar both cars ;)

14178_930954216919653_3441383798291409034_n.jpg

The problem that I can see is that the belt on this design is very narrow, unlike a linisher, so keeping the same bevel on the entire length of the blade may be a challenge. That's where a Tormek, by using a guide to keep the bevel accurate, may do a better job. Also the water stone in the Tormek avoids heating the blade.

Strops and water stones are good if you're experienced with them, but a tool like the Wicked Edge takes away the guesswork. Where it doesn't work is on something like a straight razor, but that's what the Naniwa's, Belgian coticules and strops were really made for ;)

I have one of these Nirey knife sharpeners for sale,and it comes with 3 x sets of new belts....coarse/medium/fine and I would take £150.00

Martin

You're sharpening on too fine an angle Swaro. I sharpen on one off the least fine guide point (if that makes sense?) and it lasts very well. I only use Mora knives and I do usually touch them up after each use but I have just gone through 5 rib cages with mine and it's still good to go. I cannot work with blunt knives either so don't think that I'm carefree about it. I always have a spare knife or two kicking about if I needed it but it isn't usually required. However, I used to go for a finer edge and I had the exact problem that you describe. You live and learn!
Baguio
I think I use the second groove up from the bottom, another thing with the lansky is the knife always works its way out white honing, I too like them sharp, I cut myself a few times too

I use a sharpening stone and a good steel. I learned off a slaughter man he is sadly no longer with us. I like a fine edge on my knifes. I don't go throught rib cages with knifes so a steel keeps it sharp with no effort.

Regards kev
I did have an e z saw but lost it, ive been too tight to buy another :D

WG there is a better version with a clamp which helps, they all need a certain amount of skill to use, or you could ruin a good knife, there again if you have a good knife/ good steel and hardening, sharpening is not a problem.

Back