Pre DSC1 Support

This is my first proper post of the forum, so apologies if I've put it in the wrong place or I'm asking something with a very obvious answer.

I recently became interested in deer stalking and would like to get my DSC1 sometime this year.

I'm at a stage in the learning process where I'm becoming comfortable with the theory, but definitely need more practical experience before do a proper DSC1 course and certification.

I'm a member of a rifle club and am very comfortable shooting a .22, but I've never shot a .308. (I will be applying for my FAC in the very near future)

I've done a DSC1 course online, but I've never actually stalked a deer before.

I live in southeast London and my personal commitments make it difficult to get more than a random Saturday out of the city.

There are a few pre-DSC courses within reasonable distance of where I live, but they don't seem to be particularly popular on this forum due to various reasons.

Are there any people/courses/resources near-ish to SE London that are recommended for someone that has limited time and needs some stalking guidance?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Don’t waste your money on a pre dsc course. The dsc course is aimed at a basic audience. It’s like paying for pre driving lessons.

Get some stalks under your belt, paid or otherwise that will give you a better understanding and when you do the DSc course things will most likely be clearer.

Don't be worried about the fact that you haven't yet stalked any deer. DSC1 is the first step on the road for lots of people. I'd barely even seen a deer outside of a zoo when I did my DSC1, but the course gave me both knowledge and contacts within the deer world. Never looked back!

at least when I did my DSC, they are more than happy for you to take a few shots before with the 'estate' gun before. contact who ever you go with when in advance in case there are conditions you have to meet ( ie, be a member of the BDS/BASC, etc ), explain very clearly to them about your shooting experience, etc.

the British Deer Society ( and I'm sure many many others ) do range days. if you are a member or contact your local range you might get an opportunity to go to one of them and at least know what a 308 feels like before your DSC - same techniques apply, its maybe a bit of a heavier shove but it's really not a big deal ( I shot air rifles and 22lr's and it really wasnt an issue, I knew it was coming, etc ).

best of luck

Thank you for all of your replies!

It sounds like a may be overthinking this and it may just be a matter of having a few paid stalks before going straight to a DSC1 course.

Is there anyone that's reputable and recommended for paid stalks near SE London? Is that question best asked in a separate thread?

Thanks again.

This is my first proper post of the forum, so apologies if I've put it in the wrong place or I'm asking something with a very obvious answer.

I recently became interested in deer stalking and would like to get my DSC1 sometime this year.

I'm at a stage in the learning process where I'm becoming comfortable with the theory, but definitely need more practical experience before do a proper DSC1 course and certification.

I'm a member of a rifle club and am very comfortable shooting a .22, but I've never shot a .308. (I will be applying for my FAC in the very near future)

I've done a DSC1 course online, but I've never actually stalked a deer before.

I live in southeast London and my personal commitments make it difficult to get more than a random Saturday out of the city.

There are a few pre-DSC courses within reasonable distance of where I live, but they don't seem to be particularly popular on this forum due to various reasons.

Are there any people/courses/resources near-ish to SE London that are recommended for someone that has limited time and needs some stalking guidance?

Thanks for your help.
It takes years and years to get time under you belt I started at 11/12 with Dad so fwd 50 years I am still learning that I could have done that stalk/set up for pigeons gone at a fox a different way.
I watched the start of a Gorge Digweed interview the other evening reflecting how he started into shooting and one thing (well many) he said that he carried a .410 for a year on a shoot (not loaded) and had to demonstrate how to carry it, get over gates even it was not loaded by showing it was empty....
Good luck with the journey

Like the other guys have said just get some stalks booked, nothing beats getting out and doing it.
You will learn so much off an experienced ghillie.
When I started stalking I wish I did more of them.
Good luck any help or advice more than welcome to message me.

Only thing I would add is that I did a pre-DSC1 with BASC before completing DSC1 proper and found it really useful (and interesting!) - as you’re not cramming the coursework the pace was relaxed, lots of anecdotes, advice on kit etc. and we got great live range experience across different calibres. Completely agree with the practical experience recommendation and that would definitely be my priority but if there’s a BASC pre-course near you it’s a good intro.

Back