Premium bullets

CarlW

Blackpowder kit recently confiscated from a poacher. How do you like the bullets? Wrapped in a cloth 'sabot' before being poked down the barrel...

(NB the spent shotgun cartridge in the image belongs to our scouts; not the poacher)

IMG-20210223-WA0001.jpg

Hard not to admire the enterprise until you ponder what they were actually doing.

A world away from what we know here. The fight continues. Fair play to you all.

but they arent made of lead!!! they cant kill. i guess being desperate helps you think outside of the box, what was the gun like?
Homemade muzzle-loader. Usually just a piece of gas-pipe or similar with a rudimentary stock; however, some of them really go to town on the decoration. We have quite a display of them in camp.

The matches and tinfoil are used to make the percussion caps.

Homemade muzzle-loader. Usually just a piece of gas-pipe or similar with a rudimentary stock; however, some of them really go to town on the decoration. We have quite a display of them in camp.

The matches and tinfoil are used to make the percussion caps.
Can we see a pic of the gun collection you have seized?

Wow. What velocity do they need to expand?

I was under the impression they were using ex-conflict AK47s...so the trade profits don't filter down to guys at the sharp end (or in this case blunt end).

Apart from confiscation of their weapons what happens to the poachers, not much point in imposing fines by the look of it....and are there any successes further up the chain, or are they untouchable/protected by corruption?

Alan

Amazing to think how some discussions on here about a 1/2” off here or there or energy/speed and then you have these guys out there one step up from a bow and arrow (and sometimes using a bow/spears killing larger game that we will get here in the U.K.!

regards,
Gixer

Amazing to think how some discussions on here about a 1/2” off here or there or energy/speed and then you have these guys out there one step up from a bow and arrow (and sometimes using a bow/spears killing larger game that we will get here in the U.K.!

regards,
Gixer
And I thought my BRNO 602 was a bit basic!!

Wow. What velocity do they need to expand?

I was under the impression they were using ex-conflict AK47s...so the trade profits don't filter down to guys at the sharp end (or in this case blunt end).

Apart from confiscation of their weapons what happens to the poachers, not much point in imposing fines by the look of it....and are there any successes further up the chain, or are they untouchable/protected by corruption?

Alan
The really bad guys use AKs; however, the 'baddish' guys use muzzle-loaders or traps. I don't like to admit it, but I do have some degree of respect for the fellas poaching with black powder...but then you remember how much game they wound and the respect dissipates a little.

Pretty much every elephant (legally) hunted in our area will have historic AK bullets and bits of rebar healed over in their flesh. It is interesting (and upsetting) to dig them out.

The maximum sentence for ivory poaching is 12 years. A good number of them either don't get to trial or they seem to get out in under a year...:mad:

The really bad guys use AKs; however, the 'baddish' guys use muzzle-loaders or traps. I don't like to admit it, but I do have some degree of respect for the fellas poaching with black powder...but then you remember how much game they wound and the respect dissipates a little.

Pretty much every elephant (legally) hunted in our area will have historic AK bullets and bits of rebar healed over in their flesh. It is interesting (and upsetting) to dig them out.

The maximum sentence for ivory poaching is 12 years. A good number of them either don't get to trial or they seem to get out in under a year...:mad:

Corruption from the top

How else could the volume of ivory get transported and exported without detection

S

Was a genuine question Carl - I don’t know what the laws are out there - seems like the Wild West

Several years ago a rifle team visiting an international event at a city (joburg?) had several rifles and personal effects stolen from a hotel

Turned out the culprits were members of the army and police

So I wasn’t sure what value there was on life and what actions you could carry out

Back