Preparation for the hunt.

finnbear270

Just got through stripping, de-greasing, & de-crudding the bolt off the Finnbear, amazing how soon stuff gets in there, particularly (no pun), any fluff from carrying in a pocket occasionally, a good sluicing in fresh meths, a blast out with the airline, a light application of low temperature lubricant, re fit & test dry fire..... good to go.:cool:. Now, as they say on the Chris Evans show, Only 40 sleeps to go!:rolleyes:.

And a little more Linseed today, for the woodwork.:thumb:.

Last edited:

Brithunter

Just got through stripping, de-greasing, & de-crudding the bolt off the Finnbear, amazing how soon stuff gets in there, particularly (no pun), any fluff from carrying in a pocket occasionally, a good sluicing in fresh meths, a blast out with the airline, a light application of low temperature lubricant, re fit & test dry fire..... good to go.:cool:. Now, as they say on the Chris Evans show, Only 40 sleeps to go!:rolleyes:.

And a little more Linseed today, for the woodwork.:thumb:.

Good luck on the hunt. The debris is a good reason to keep the bolt where it belongs ...................................... in the action.

Sadly not always possible. When I flew with a rifle I put it inside a self sealing plastic bag with a bit of anti rust paper.

finnbear270

Good luck on the hunt. The debris is a good reason to keep the bolt where it belongs ...................................... in the action.

Sadly not always possible. When I flew with a rifle I put it inside a self sealing plastic bag with a bit of anti rust paper.

Agreed Kev, but I can't settle to a pint if the bolt isn't in my pocket.:-|

Leon

Looks like a good product to use that Steve, I have been using a Rustilo product (much the same as this) but my supply is coming to an end so need to find a suitable replacement - this should do it :) Cheers

finnbear270

Got the old Lundhags off the shelf yesterday, amazing what you can find deep down in the welt with a fork tine, looked a bit like Arran peat bog stuff, A good clean & application of Granger's G wax, another bit of gear sorted, Nikwax wash in proofer is also on it's way here for the jacket.

Muir

Not sure Andy, but it must be pretty tolerant to low temps where your Navy jet jocks get to.
Lear Chemical Research Corporation

Looks like good stuff, but I was referring to how cold your hunt was. I use light touch of Break free. The solvent dissolves and leaves a thin Teflon coat that doesn't gum unless you over do it. I have found that the chief item in lubing for extreme cold is to put it on moderately, and wipe off all you can get to. The working part will stay where you need it.~Muir

finnbear270

Looks like good stuff, but I was referring to how cold your hunt was. I use light touch of Break free. The solvent dissolves and leaves a thin Teflon coat that doesn't gum unless you over do it. I have found that the chief item in lubing for extreme cold is to put it on moderately, and wipe off all you can get to. The working part will stay where you need it.~Muir

I won't know for sure until the weather closes in, in the Pfalzerwald this November, but I'm pretty sure that might be in or around minus eight, as a midday max, if things get cool?:thumb:

Muir

I won't know for sure until the weather closes in, in the Pfalzerwald this November, but I'm pretty sure that might be in or around minus eight, as a midday max, if things get cool?:thumb:

Centigrade? That's pretty chilly but not too unbearable. About what the warmer weather here is in the winter. I had a hunt a few years back where -18 F was the day time high. That was a cold one.~Muir

Brithunter

:rofl: OK, OK, Kev.!!!!

You would not find me worriting like that.................................. trouble sleeping waiting for the morn to come ........................... nope not me.. And my nose is not growing either ;) .

Mother always used to ask when I was going to grow up and never knew how to handle the response of why should I ................................................. it more fun this way. Boys and their toys comes to mind.... :D

Last edited: