Pretty Bad Weekend in Chicago

srvet

Detroit is not much better. They need tougher gun laws in both cities.~Muir

You will obviously know better than me but is Chicago not one of the more restrictive parts of the US with regard to legal gun ownership? It would be interesting to compare with less restrictive states such as Texas. I can’t help but thing that the issue is not as simple as more gun control needed, rather than dealing with poverty, mental health, illegal drugs and inequality in a more effective manner.

Swedish

I think you'll find that gun laws have little to do with what is going on. Its gang warfare in those cities. Gangs don't care about laws.

dodgyknees

I think you'll find that gun laws have little to do with what is going on. Its gang warfare in those cities. Gangs don't care about laws.

True. But the question that needs to continue to be asked and surely answered at some point in our future history is: what drivers are behind the emergence and growth of street gangs in the first place.

If the problem cities and their elected representatives fail to answer this question and act decisively, and put gang culture in reverse gear, creating conditions whereby the youth choose to walk away, then you can imagine as well as I can what these cities will look like in the longer run. It can be done, there are several cities in the US where they have reduced violent crime rates significantly in recent years.

Sadly there are a number of large cities in the US, as there are in many other countries, where the mayor’s office and associated bureaucracies and agencies are as crooked as they were in Al Capone’s day. Illinois has not exactly led the way as a vanguard of civic discipline and moral authority, from the top down. Ever. And man does it show today.

You reap what you sow.

Muir

You're right and yes, I do know that firearms ownership is all but restricted in both of these cities.

In Chicago this kind of gang voilence has been going on for quite some time. This week, it was 'gun' violence that made the news but summer before last there were 19 deaths (iirc) in one 24 hour period that were gang related. It didn' t make the news by more than a foot note because it was the President's home State.

I don't know what the solution is. That old movie "Escape From New York" comes to mind...~Muir

Woodsmoke

Detroit is not much better

Ever watched 'Hardcore Pawn'? That's set in Detroit, and if their customers show a representative cross-section of the demographic the entire city would probably benefit from a tactical nuclear strike :eek:

A Guy Out West

That was a little heaver than usual weekend for the Windy City. This goes on every weekend, has for years and years. Never going to change because the problem can't be addressed properly.

dodgyknees

That was a little heaver than usual weekend for the Windy City. This goes on every weekend, has for years and years. Never going to change because the problem can't be addressed properly.

When I first read this, I assumed the worst. The implication is, depending on one's interpretation of the word 'properly', too dark to really want to think about. But comments on other threads on similar matters suggest a dark intent, hopefully I'm wrong.

Then we have the comment "ICBM?", followed by "Just a little too heavy handed?". I'm not even going to pass comment on the subsequent Farrakhan post.

It saddens me greatly and perplexes me in equal measure that the internet has given voice to these throw away one or two liners that defy rational explanation. If they're supposed to be humerous, then you failed. From the safe haven of your smart McMansions and quaint English villages or small regional cities (who knows your exact whereabouts or circumstances in which you live?), these kind of implicit comments shine a bright light on the divide - no chasm - in our societies, and to my mind associate our sport with the exact wrong kind of image.

If there is even a hint at mass extermination of people as a solution to a serious social problem, I have to ask you, where exactly the f^ck have you been in your lives? What have you seen of the world that make these kinds of comments funny / relevant / topical / appropriate / representative?

I am an active anti-PC campaigner, a free speech advocate, in my world over here, staunchly defending the right to free speech and frequently rattling the cage. But when the line is crossed into the kind of stupidity that internet forums are renowned for, then I'm only too happy to go into battle. You have the right to say what you want, to express your views, and I have the right to tell you I think your views are abhorrent.

From the comfort of your armchairs and sofas, please take a moment to consider these photos me and the wife took in Rwanada in 2000, at a church that provided sanctuary to hundreds of villagers, but was attacked nonetheless during the genocide of 1994. If you think I might have just downloaded these of the internet, there's a photo of the photo album as well.

S6FkYz.jpg

zLQPz6.jpg

ThbkPj.jpg

Is this the kind of outcome that's being ever so subtly hinted at? Is this the kind of thing that will deliver a way forward to a better future? Wanna suggest that Rwandans are savages and Americans and Europeans aren't?

And just in case you were sleeping through History at school, you might like to recap on some of the things you were taught about our recent shared 20th century history, in an effort by your society to mould you into a fine upstanding democratic first world citizen who would fight against the forces of tyranny and evil, if called upon. Maybe take a moment to think about how many in previous generations died on your behalf.

Sounding a bit too melodramatic for you? Get over it.

If you've really seen anything of the world, you'd know that the kind of violence being dished out to 'solve' problems today and in our recent past, leaves nothing but misery, destruction and a myriad of downstream disasters and long term problems that those in command didn't seem to think about or care about at the time. Hinting at more violence as a means to solve the violence in Chicago and other cities blighted by gang crime and all the associated ills that come with entrenched poverty, civic corruption and a broken society, well it just beggars belief. That you get to vote and nominally decide your path through this morass is really quite concerning, look what you managed to achieve last time round.

And it's not a good look at all for the sport, considering the politics attached to shooting sports of any kind these days it seems. This stuff gets read by who knows who.

Highlandsjohn

I enjoy your posts dk and you have just articulated my thoughts exactly,thank you.
The comment from the poster regarding ICBM :doh: just doesn't bare thinking about. john

dodgyknees

Private message I've just received from Jon Smith:

"you truly are an irritating c"

My response to him:

"Good. That means I'm getting somewhere. Blokes like you mean nothing to me, Jon Smith. I know your kind. Interesting that you aren't brave enough to say that in public. So I'll do it for you."

If you can't have a sensible conversation about the issues that face our societies today without resorting to playground insults, then all good with me. You simply go in the 'ignore, not worth a moment's thought' bin.

McKenzie

When I first read this, I assumed the worst. The implication is, depending on one's interpretation of the word 'properly', too dark to really want to think about. But comments on other threads on similar matters suggest a dark intent, hopefully I'm wrong.

Then we have the comment "ICBM?", followed by "Just a little too heavy handed?". I'm not even going to pass comment on the subsequent Farrakhan post.

It saddens me greatly and perplexes me in equal measure that the internet has given voice to these throw away one or two liners that defy rational explanation. If they're supposed to be humerous, then you failed. From the safe haven of your smart McMansions and quaint English villages or small regional cities (who knows your exact whereabouts or circumstances in which you live?), these kind of implicit comments shine a bright light on the divide - no chasm - in our societies, and to my mind associate our sport with the exact wrong kind of image.

If there is even a hint at mass extermination of people as a solution to a serious social problem, I have to ask you, where exactly the f^ck have you been in your lives? What have you seen of the world that make these kinds of comments funny / relevant / topical / appropriate / representative?

I am an active anti-PC campaigner, a free speech advocate, in my world over here, staunchly defending the right to free speech and frequently rattling the cage. But when the line is crossed into the kind of stupidity that internet forums are renowned for, then I'm only too happy to go into battle. You have the right to say what you want, to express your views, and I have the right to tell you I think your views are abhorrent.

From the comfort of your armchairs and sofas, please take a moment to consider these photos me and the wife took in Rwanada in 2000, at a church that provided sanctuary to hundreds of villagers, but was attacked nonetheless during the genocide of 1994. If you think I might have just downloaded these of the internet, there's a photo of the photo album as well.

S6FkYz.jpg

zLQPz6.jpg

ThbkPj.jpg

Is this the kind of outcome that's being ever so subtly hinted at? Is this the kind of thing that will deliver a way forward to a better future? Wanna suggest that Rwandans are savages and Americans and Europeans aren't?

And just in case you were sleeping through History at school, you might like to recap on some of the things you were taught about our recent shared 20th century history, in an effort by your society to mould you into a fine upstanding democratic first world citizen who would fight against the forces of tyranny and evil, if called upon. Maybe take a moment to think about how many in previous generations died on your behalf.

Sounding a bit too melodramatic for you? Get over it.

If you've really seen anything of the world, you'd know that the kind of violence being dished out to 'solve' problems today and in our recent past, leaves nothing but misery, destruction and a myriad of downstream disasters and long term problems that those in command didn't seem to think about or care about at the time. Hinting at more violence as a means to solve the violence in Chicago and other cities blighted by gang crime and all the associated ills that come with entrenched poverty, civic corruption and a broken society, well it just beggars belief. That you get to vote and nominally decide your path through this morass is really quite concerning, look what you managed to achieve last time round.

And it's not a good look at all for the sport, considering the politics attached to shooting sports of any kind these days it seems. This stuff gets read by who knows who.

Couldn't agree more.

mchughcb

I'm not sure what Chicago black gang related gun violence has to do with Rwanda Genocide other than it involved people of African decent and they killed each other. One with guns the other with whatever.

With regards to ICBM probably a better comparison is Hiroshima and I've been to ground zero. Today you wouldn't know it was nuked. Its a flourishing city and no imperialist intentions.

If you have a large percentage of the population that you perceive as a threat to your way of life what next?

Not enough room to lock them up, no other country wants them either.