Pretty rifles

BRACES of Bristol - Dark Fox Package, Mauser M12, LIEMKE Thermal Scope, Wildcat Mod

Bavarianbrit

I was on a project at the division of a chinese company that do JLRs (aka TATAs) wood trim interiors and was made aware that there is a kind of a mafia of burr walnut sellers as the best stuff goes as first choice to the luxery yaght trade all sourced out of Milan and JLR just get the dregs and that at 50 euros a square metre for veneer only, so imagine how the stocking trade have to pay top dollar to get high class base materials to work with.
Martin

roebuck220

Used to take a German guest out every year who had a red indian carved into the stock, on the opposite side from the cheek piece. would love one like it with either a stag or buck.

Petecannon

paul k - Invisible tread protectors could be the answer. Mike Norris from Brock & Norris comes highly recommended.

I've got a Steyr Mannlicher which is a very pretty rifle and I can't bring myself to cut it for a moderator, irrational I know but there you go.

wikedwickedmotox

here is my rifle i did the stock myself with some help from olaf on here and fitted the recoil pad it transformed what is really a plain stock, i love this gun!
Tikka-m595-1.jpg

HunterMoore

and here is my pretty rifle (custom Winchester mod 70 in 458) with hand chequering and tweaks from Mike Norris ..... any marks on the woodwork are reminders of adventures and not to be worried about in my opinion ....
rifle 2 003.JPG

Brithunter

This one ain't too shabby. I don't expect Brithunter will agree.....
:D

The wood is nice and Blasers tend to shoot OK however they are not for me and yes as stated before I have shot them and that was before they became a must have fashion accessory that they seem to be today..

As for wood getting wet well the Brno ZKK 601 in my photo was so wet on one Muntjac stalk that the rain was running out of the bottom of the magazine. Stock and bedding are still straight though.

Heym SR20

Rubbish! - mean/ugly rifles are for the military... pretty ones are for hunting. I have ordered a Todd Ramirez in .270. I would say one of the best rifle makers in the world. Don't think it would look quite the same with a plastic stock....

Really nice looking rifle.

Brithunter

What amuses me is that a lot of people will happily pay many tens of thousands of pounds to have shiney automobile and never worry a jot about using it and even parking in the supermarket carpark yet worry about a scratch on the wood of a rifle costing a fraction of what they pay for an over priced designer label car.

Wills

I personally don't mind it getting scratched, as I can repair the wood with oil. To me, it's a sign of use and adventure.
However, my car on the other hand....

Heym SR20

What amuses me is that a lot of people will happily pay many tens of thousands of pounds to have shiney automobile and never worry a jot about using it and even parking in the supermarket carpark yet worry about a scratch on the wood of a rifle costing a fraction of what they pay for an over priced designer label car.

Was in London yesterday on business and had cause to walk through Knightsbridge past Ray Ward. Pride of place is a display case with Dennis Finch Hatton's double rifle - bluing worn, stock battered with checkering worn away - but still wonderful. Well used but not abused and there is a story to tell behind every dent, and hard hunting has worn the bluing and checking.

Tommo

Are you being serious?

The Sauer 202 is one of the most highly regarded rifles in the trade!

if you want decent wood pay for it most decent makers have optional upgrades, like everything if you want something beyond the plain its an optional extra.

Mauser, Heym, etc all offer decent wood on upgrades

T

woodmaster

If you fancy a nice bit of English Walnut air dried for about 10 years and was felled dead standing I have a few cubic meters of it in the shed. I am saving it for some of my own furniture making projects but would be interested to know if it's good enough for gun stocks? Some lovely colours in it and I can tell you exactly where it was felled. If there are any local stock makers who would be interested get in touch.

deeangeo

I reckon my rifle's quite pretty & over the ten years I've had it, it's seen plenty of action too :thumb: .25-06 Fast & flat...250yd & 150yd zeros

Blaser 1 022.jpg Rem.FL size 110gn AB IMR4831x53gns Fed210Match Primer.jpg

Attachments

• Blaser 1 028.jpg
    Blaser 1 028.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 31
  • K95 008.jpg
    K95 008.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Wills

Are you being serious?

The Sauer 202 is one of the most highly regarded rifles in the trade!

if you want decent wood pay for it most decent makers have optional upgrades, like everything if you want something beyond the plain its an optional extra.

Mauser, Heym, etc all offer decent wood on upgrades

T

yes, the three shot, one flier group I have seen. Supposedly a sauer trait, anyone know why.

I would be interested in seeing a luxus heym as I have a sr 20 stutzen in 270 and I feel it is the best action of my others (a tikka 595 in 243 and blaser in 270).

Schiehallion

William.
I had a Sauer 202 with gorgeous wood for a few years. It was an exquisite piece of kit but after several years of hard use and several days a week on a sling the slim forend began touching the barrel and it was never the same after that.
I then got the synthetic stock for it and that was just rubbish. So I sold it and now have a cheapo' workhorse which shoots spot on!
cheers.
​S

chunk

i couldn't possibly spend the money on a grade 8+ stock, in turkish walnut on a blaser, or indeed any other rifle.
i much prefer a nice synthetic stock, and spend the remaining money on lead, fuel and getting meat on the ground.

AdrianC

AdrianC,

What model of Styer is that one you have pictured?? It really is a fantastic looking rifle! I have wanted a nice wood stocked piece for a while, but unfortunately I could be saving for a while (joys of being a student!!)

It's an off the shelf classic half stock. I was lucky to find one with an appealing piece of wood. It gets lovingly oiled and glows in the light. Lovely piece and I'm dead chuffed with it. I have my eye on one in 30-06 with similar dark wood with lighter areas running through it..... ;)

Buckbones

Can not beat a nice figured single shot rifle. This not a stalking rifle a little small but love all the same. Now Deeangeo 25-06 im liking that a lot!
Andrew
0b4648abb73ca36a99f2842bc12217a9.jpg

d48914e3139f7eb3e2a7cd5f0f264aa6.jpg

Night Vision Store