Price

drummerboy

Hi, just wondering if any reloaders have worked out how much it costs to reload per round, not counting the brass?
Regards Neil

jcampbellsmith

Hi, just wondering if any reloaders have worked out how much it costs to reload per round, not counting the brass?
Regards Neil
No. What's special about the brass? Surely it costs £ just the same as your time, travel, load development, reloading gear, cleaning gear, chronographs, reloading manuals, etc? Regards JCS

Last edited:

drummerboy

No. What's special about the brass? Surely it costs £ just the same as your time, travel, load development, reloading gear, cleaning gear, chronographs, reloading manuals, etc? Regards JCS
So sorry, i just meant you already have the once fired before you start.:oops:

leec6.5

for my 270 it costs me around 90p per round with barnes 130gn ttsx and about 60p with a 130gn sierra gameking , that inc powder , brass , bullet and primer but not my time because i do it for fun !

Greener Jim

90p using cast bullets plus brass. Which makes it £2.90 including brass.
I guess the price of it will be affected by how many loads I get from the brass.
Switching to jacketed kinda ups the price aswell by a huge amount!

Last edited:

Gaothead

It's on my screen right now:
primers 200£3.60£0.02
powder170£43.00£0.25
missiles100£25.95£0.26
Total£0.53

That's for 243 with about 40 grains of powder

NigelM

Now add the cost of the equipment, the load development work and the waste of throwing out powders/bullets that don't work and unless you are shooting a lot of deer/foxes you will never get your money back.

I don't do it to save money, I do it because I enjoy it and as far as I'm concerned it's part of the sport and the understanding of ballistics.

Nigel

Gaothead

Loaded my first round today. Rather than buy a kit I've spent ages getting the bits together off here and eBay etc. Get a kit! Today it's taking me ages to get the powder weight right, phew it's fiddly, even with a trickler.

Reloading must be about the satisfaction of doing something yourself.
GH

leec6.5

Loaded my first round today. Rather than buy a kit I've spent ages getting the bits together off here and eBay etc. Get a kit! Today it's taking me ages to get the powder weight right, phew it's fiddly, even with a trickler.

Reloading must be about the satisfaction of doing something yourself.
GH
Once you have "that" load , your rifle loves it and groups like a gnats fart , you practice with it you and you take it stalking and shoot that first beast with that cartridge you have assembled and worked up yourself, you will feel a sence of achievement and have a grin from ear to ear so big you all you will say is WOW i want to do that again!

Muir

7mm-08
Sierra Game Pro 120=.26$
Varget = .19
Rem 9.5 primer =.03
PPU Brass =.39

Total: Eighty-seven cents US

Using surplus 308 Brass lowers the cost to .58 cents.~Muir

I. Farticus

I'd struggle with finding the time to do it, so use HPS Target Rifles to reload my brass for me. Loading 6.5x55mm 140gr SSTs with 46.7 grains of N160 costs me £1.00 per round. 45/50p more than you guys are managing, but at least 90p less than the same in factory, so it's still a good deal (for me) as it costs me nothing in set up costs or time.

If I had the time, I know I'd be doing it myself, not for the savings but for the satisfaction of "that round" that you all have, or are striving towards. There's a level of jealousy as I write this...

Stay safe:tiphat:

deeangeo

.25-06 Rem.
Sierra 100gn 1620 .20p per bullet
IMR4350 .33p per cartridge
Primer Fed210M .04p per round
= .57p per bang

Nosler 110gn Accubond .64p per bullet
IMR4831 .33p per cartridge
Primer Fed210M .04p per round
= 1.01p per bang

Brass average 10 reloads = additional .08p per bang

Last edited:

Chasey

I worked out id have to make up about 300 rounds to cover the cost of all the second hand kit I baught and after that id be saveing about 65p a bang not including brass as i have 200 and with 10X bang 2000 bangs I think I have enough to last a while :D

But I did it for the fun of reloading, not to save money

If I were target shooting again id do it to save money but deer & fox I just dont bang off enough rounds for it to make sense on a cost basis.

ATB

Mark

reiver

It costs me 56p to reload my .444m with interlocks 265g and 47 grains of reloader 7, Remington factory ammo is £40 for 20 rounds .My Dodgyrog cast boolits and 19grains of 2400 cost about 20-30p around:thumb:
And in my 9.3mm it cost about £1 a round + Brass to reload,RWS factory 285g rounds are is £45 for 20 so not so much in it .

bob

bogtrotter

You should get a .243 :stir: been reloading for twenty six or seven years now have never bought brass there so many people with .243 s that don't load that I can get all that I need.

Harry mac

My .303 comes down to about 57p per round and that includes taking into account that I only reload the cases a maximum of 5 times.
That still saves me in the region of £20 per 100 on PPU factory ammo.

Outback

The biggest cost is getting set up ,and you don't need that much to get going , buy a bigger press than you currently need as you are bound to finish up having a case that is to big for you current one ,
Some boys reload there 308 case's 10 plus time's , buy a thousand primers at a time , buy a couple of hundred bullets , powder has been the biggest problem reasantly with the shortage so you will chop and change there.
But the big ace is having your gear and just develop another load which doesn't take long and your good to go again .
Then when you develop that load that all the rounds touch at 100 and get the confidence when you pull the trigger and send it .