Primer crimp removal

kaduflyer

​Hi can anyone help I have a heap of cases that have primer crimp in 223 anyone know of a cheap easy way to remove crimp thanks

enfieldspares

They can be cut out with a chamfer tool, like RCBS sell used for de-burring casenecks or swaged out with a primer pocket swaging tool. That RCBS also sells and isn't much use for anything else.

Cutting out is quicker and chamfer tools are easily available. And unlike the swager route doesn't require you have a reloading press.

Swaging out is better and once set up as quick as cutting and the preferred method IMHO.

That said I have always cut out ring crimps on primers with a chamfer tool and if you go easy works well enough.

Last edited:

Milligan

+1 for the chamfer tool. you don't need to take much off at all.
I did 200 lapua .308 brass in not long at all.

iain b

They can be cut out with a chamfer tool, like RCBS sell used for de-burring casenecks or swaged out with a primer pocket swaging tool. That RCBS also sells and isn't much use for anything else.

Cutting out is quicker and chamfer tools are easily available. And unlike the swager route doesn't require you have a reloading press.

Swaging out is better and once set up as quick as cutting and the preferred method IMHO.

That said I have always cut out ring crimps on primers with a chamfer tool and if you go easy works well enough.
What he said

Muir

I have thousands of military cases in 223 and 308. I've cut the crimp out, I've used an RCBS swaging die, but in the end I bought the Dillon Super Swage. It was the best $100 I've spent. Fast and accurate. I don't know how large your 'heap of brass' is, but this tool will get it done quickly.~Muir